Switching Saturday

TrucTrain55

Post your Switching operations or what you have been Switching out on your Layout here. All Scales are Welcome. I’ll kick us off with my Bachmann FA pulling a empty old Athearn Blue Box from a Customer to be put back into the Manifest. Enjoy your weekend.

Last edited:
This was the yard I was switching on my first layout, on the peninsula and only half of that, part of the logging operations was on the other (left) side.
IMG_20180112_163038750.jpg

The fleet of pickle cars in the yard....all different numbers
View attachment 145250.
Tom nice pic thanks for sharing today. When my oldest Daughter was around 4 years we were at a local Hobby Shop she seen a Athearn Pickle car and she just had to have it after I told her what the purpose of the car does. For years after that when she would be at the Layout I had to stop what I was doing and add the Pickle Car to the Manifest and watch her eyes light up as the car went around the Layout. She’s 22 years old now and asks me once in awhile if I still have it and I tell her I’ll never get rid of it. Thanks for bringing back a good memory.

Thanks for bringing back a good memory.
Your welcome! One of the neat aspects of the hobby! :)
I got a pickle car with the original train set back in the 60's. I came across it a couple of years ago, and wanted to build a fleet of them. There were so many of them on e-bay, I picked up 5 of them to make three plus mine. I changed a detail or two on all of them so no two are alike. The hardest part was matching the white for the car number. I left my car, on the far right, the original #---73

Your welcome! One of the neat aspects of the hobby! :)
I got a pickle car with the original train set back in the 60's. I came across it a couple of years ago, and wanted to build a fleet of them. There were so many of them on e-bay, I picked up 5 of them to make three plus mine. I changed a detail or two on all of them so no two are alike. The hardest part was matching the white for the car number. I left my car, on the far right, the original #---73
That pretty neat I’ll post mine one of these days for you. I like those log cars and the Geep in the background too

So the title of this thread threw me off, I thought that we were looking for "switch yard" pictures. Looks like some of the posts are just of "switching" and not switch yards. So I'll venture forth with a few. Here's a pair of CF7's spotting a covered hopper of fertilizer at Delta Fertilizer Supply.
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG

Yes, that's a family of cougars lying near the tracks.

So the title of this thread threw me off, I thought that we were looking for "switch yard" pictures. Looks like some of the posts are just of "switching" and not switch yards. So I'll venture forth with a few. Here's a pair of CF7's spotting a covered hopper of fertilizer at Delta Fertilizer Supply.
View attachment 145265View attachment 145266View attachment 145267
Yes, that's a family of cougars lying near the tracks.
Willie some nice pic you posted. I changed the title so it won’t be too confusing I should have done that in the first place.

McLeod - is it possible to change the 3 tracks closest to the camera? Put a LH turnout as the 1st one, then another LH. This should get rid of the 'S' curves which should help with switching moves.
In an effort to correct certain beginner type errors, I've removed the questionable tracks, and I'm correcting the design.
Thank you for the suggestion, and apologies for not seeing the post until yesterday.

In an effort to correct certain beginner type errors, I've removed the questionable tracks, and I'm correcting the design.
Thank you for the suggestion, and apologies for not seeing the post until yesterday.
McLeod: Not to worry at all. I have found that no matter how many times you come up with the 'latest and greatest' trackplan ( or any thing else for that matter ) there is ALWAYS a wrench in the works. What I have been doing in that respect is to put it down for a couple of days then look at it later. Seems that when I do that I see stuff different, a clean slate, different perspective ...etc. It boils down to 'is it good enough', then either fix or move on. We are dealing with MRR stuff which is not a life or death situation and can be changed after the fact. Well, maybe it is life or death!
I have changed my plan many times; from a complete rework to smaller parts. I suspect I am not done with that yet as you probably know sh.t happens. Oh, then somebody else will give it a look and tell you the obvious. Duh, do it again!

I like those log cars and the Geep
Thank you Lee.
The gp7 is one of those Atlas yellow box made in Japan. I have three of them plus an RS-1 same make.
The log cars were a super fun project. Ponderosa Pine was the predominant species in Railroad logging in this area. Kadee is the only one that I know of that has a Ponderosa log, in plastic! My skills at making plastic logs look like real ones, are not real good! In the mean time, nothing looks like wood, than wood. The willow tree came in handy for this.
All the loads are removable.
IMG_2283.JPG

scale chains & binders......
IMG_2270.JPG

Hooked up to the geep...
IMG_2275.JPG

Thank you Lee.
The gp7 is one of those Atlas yellow box made in Japan. I have three of them plus an RS-1 same make.
The log cars were a super fun project. Ponderosa Pine was the predominant species in Railroad logging in this area. Kadee is the only one that I know of that has a Ponderosa log, in plastic! My skills at making plastic logs look like real ones, are not real good! In the mean time, nothing looks like wood, than wood. The willow tree came in handy for this.
View attachment 145312
View attachment 145313

Hooked up to the geep...
View attachment 145314
That's quite the load of logs. With a load like that , how much does each car weigh ?

Thank you Lee.
View attachment 145312
View attachment 145313

Hooked up to the geep...
View attachment 145314
Wow Tom you make those logs look so convincing job well done. Did you make the log bunks for the flats? I appreciate you sharing your pics too they look really nice hooked to that geep.

Back