Switch Machine Voltage?

Smitty49

I have a control turnout switch with power (18v ) going into the switch but can not decipher any voltage coming out of the wire connections going to the turnout. This is an older Atlas turnout control switch and I've changed out the switch with several others to trace a no voltage problem but get the same results. Can anyone supply me with the output voltage going to the turnout from the switch?
SwitchMachineVoltage.gif

In the position the switch is shown, the voltage at the GREEN and BLACK wires on the top should be 18 volts WHEN THE SWITCH IS PUSHED. If the switch was to the other side (right side) then then voltage would be at the RED and Black wires on the top.

Be cautious when checking if the switch machines are hooked up. If you push the switch and hold it too long, the coils in the switch machine could burn out.

Think of the swich this way: The slide (side to side) chooses which way you want to throw the turnout. PUSHING down on the switch briefly actually sends the voltage to the switch.

In the position the switch is shown, the voltage at the GREEN and BLACK wires on the top should be 18 volts WHEN THE SWITCH IS PUSHED. If the switch was to the other side (right side) then then voltage would be at the RED and Black wires on the top.

Be cautious when checking if the switch machines are hooked up. If you push the switch and hold it too long, the coils in the switch machine could burn out.

Think of the swich this way: The slide (side to side) chooses which way you want to throw the turnout. PUSHING down on the switch briefly actually sends the voltage to the switch.

Thanks Steve ,That's what I needed to know. So there should be no voltage drop within the switch when slide in either direction!

Smitty, correct, the slide switch just determines the direction of the turnout. No voltage will show at the switch wires until the slide switch is pressed in and then only until the switch is released.

Back