Super-Detailing BNSF #8300

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Much like my thread I started about Super-Detailing EMD Demo SD70M #7001, this thread will be for BNSF SD75I #8300. BNSF #8300 starts out as a older Athearn Genesis locomotive. She will be detailed and weathered like the prototype. Here are the early stages of the super-detailing on this unit. This is with the grab irons installed and painted as well as the railings installed and panted like the proto unit. The ditch lights have also been assembled, painted, and installed. The bell has also been installed. The trucks still need the supplied details installed, the sun-shades need to be applied to the roof of the cab, and the side steps need to be glued back in place behind the rear door of the cab. Here is a couple pictures of the unit as it is right now:

SL373698.jpg

SL373699.jpg

SL373700.jpg

SL373701.jpg

SL373702.jpg

SL373703.jpg

These pictures didnt come out so well, bad lighting at the time :rolleyes:

Decals will be added to the sides of the cabs and to the number boards. The Details West BNSF SD75I Dress-Up kit will also be added to this unit, as well as the following parts:

235-300 - Detail Kit for Athearn Genesis -- Auxilliary Details for SD70 - All Roads
235-236 - Double-Ended Receptacle & Two Receptacles
235-302 - Air Hose -- Locomotive Drop Elbow Style
229-2211 - Coupler Lift Bars - AAR type 1
331-6034 - MU & Brake Hose Set - Rubber (Air, Sand, and Signal Hoses)
331-6007 - Universal Antenna Dome - Octagon

235 numbers are Details West, 229 numbers are Detail Associates, 331 numbers are Hi-Tech Details

Will post pictures as I install the detail parts above to this locomotive :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh, I don't recall if the BNSF kit came with the knuckle. I think it did, but if not, you'll need DW SK-210 for the rear pilot.

Josh, forget the standard Athearn sunshades and get some A-Line brass sunshades. They'll never break off and you can bend them repeatedly to any angle you want. Jerome uses them on all his engines and they are fantastic. :)

Josh, I don't recall if the BNSF kit came with the knuckle. I think it did, but if not, you'll need DW SK-210 for the rear pilot.

Hey Josh thanks :D

The kit actually comes with 235-196 (spare knuckle) :D

Where would this go though? Does the kit come with instructions and diagrams of where the parts in the kit are supposed to be applied? Ive never gotten a DW kit before lol

Josh, forget the standard Athearn sunshades and get some A-Line brass sunshades. They'll never break off and you can bend them repeatedly to any angle you want. Jerome uses them on all his engines and they are fantastic. :)

Thanks Jim :D

I think im stuck with the stock Athearn shades on this one and the SD70M because i already drilled the large holes for them, but on the other 2 BNSF SD75I's I have, ill get some A-line sunshades. Im sure the mounting pins are alot smaller then the athearn's right?

I have one of these as, well as the EMD Demo SD70M 7001, so I,ll be interested to see how they work out with all the extra details.
Ron

Hey Guys,

Been a busy last couple of weeks for me, well with Christmas, New Years, my girlfriend being out of school, and not to mention working LOL

I have all the detail parts I need for this unit, as well as the SD70M and the other 2 BNSF SD75I's I have, I just dont know when Ill be able to sit down and start working on the superdetailing. Hopefully after the first of the year passes and things calm down a bit, so stay tuned :D

Whoops, missed this thread. Josh, the A-Line sunshades will fit perfectly in the pre-drilled Athearn holes. The mounting pins are very slightly smaller than the Athearn plastic sunshades, which makes it easier to get them ion the holes. Just use a touch of CA on each pin and they hold fine. You can adjust the shade position to anything you wish and not have to worry about it breaking off.

Back