stripping athearn genesis loco's

NYSW F45

Im thinking about getting a few of the athearn genesis EMD sd70 demo units. I see them on ebay all the time. But im not sure about stripping a factor paint like that. It almost looks like the plastic was died that color, but i know it wasn't.

oh and does anyone know if it is possible to wire up red led's to use in a sd80mac body as marker lights?

Nope, the plastic is black under it. I've started stripping paint on an EMD/CSX unit, and some pine-sol and/or 90% isopropyl alcohol will do the trick. You may have luck with the ez-lift off stuff thats available (Micromark has it), but I've never used it.

As for the LED's, yes, same process as ditch lights, or head lights.

thanks i read alot of the older posts about pinesol but was just worried since this paint doesn't in my eyes at least look like paint. More like powerder coating or something. Now I just need to find it.

I've read alot about using the pinesol method. The brake fluid method works good, but some people report that it makes the shell soft. Personally, it works good for the first 5 shells to do, but then it loses its kick after that.;)
I need to know where to get a athearn sd70/m/mac shell from. Almost impossible to find them on Ebay, or at distributors. I wonder if a Kato shell would fit without too much hassle? Anyone tried that (kato shell on athearn frame) yet?

Back