Steam or Diesel Locomotives?

kgstakes

I'm new to this forum and was just wondering how many use only steam locomotives and how many use only diesel locomotives?

I personally have mostly steam (that's what I started with) and then with my latest switching layout I switched to a diesel switcher. I started to build the switching layout for a bachmann climax (HO scale, sorry) and it crapped out shortly after I bought it (something wrong with the gears - won't move anymore) anyway so I bought a Atlas diesel switcher and that has worked out fine. Oh, my layout is DCC and switcher has sound. I have many steam locos but the only other loco I have sound in is a Model Power 2-4-4-2 that I've had for over 20 years (sound in it in the last 8) but it's just a little bit to big for the switching that I'm doing now on my layout.

Off course sorry, how many like steam and how many like diesel? Just wondering.

Kgstakes
Kurt
IMG_0657.JPG

The climax has some serious known problems. Get in touch with Bachmann, they may have you send it in for credit toward something else.
my layout mostly has diseasels with a handful of steam in special or excursion service.

It depends on your era. As a kid, I rode the original Zephyr 9900 (now in Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry), so I had very little personal experience with steam (although somehow I got hoisted into the cab of an M.K.T. steam yard switcher when I was about 2). That, and as a mechanical engineer (aerospace), I am fascinated by the mechanism of steam locomotives, to the extent that I have a bunch. However, on my layout, I prefer to run diesel-powered passenger trains, and reserve steam for freights (c. 1940's - '50's). For switching, I find diesel yard or road switchers more convenient.

As far as that Climax is concerned, if Bachman won't help, I would find a place on a dead siding, display shelf, or the round file! Welcome to the Forum!

The climax I bought……. Might be 6 years ago. Ran fine for about a year then wouldn’t run. Yeah it’s more than likely a gear problem motor runs fine.

Been thinking about stripping the decoder and sound and putting it in something else. Just haven’t gotten around to it yet. Should have bought a rivarossi heisler instead. I hear they are pretty good.

I have a few brass steam but only the one diesel that’s been working really well for my little switching layout.

My era is from the 40’s to early 60’s. Transition era I guess. My first layout was steam era with false front buildings log depot and a coal mine.

The layout I have now I made up a little story about the town. How it came about, what happened in the town, why there are now some false front buildings and why the brick buildings are on Main Street.

Some time I’ll share it if anyone is interested in it.

Other than the speed of loading on the computer I’m enjoying reading all the posts and finding my way around this forum.

You can probably get replacement gears for the Bachmann, as it's 6 years old I think the warranty may have expired :D
Please start your own thread and post the story of your town, we'd all be interested I'm sure, but be warned, foto's are a must on this forum

I run steam mostly and a few electrics. I only have one diesel and really have no interest in model diesels (real yes). I was born in a country that used steam in regular working freight and passenger service, so you could say i have steam in my blood.

I'm strictly diesel since I model the 1978-1994 era. My mainstays are SD40-2's, Dash9-44CW's and GP60's (GP60, GP60M, GP60B). I do my local switching with CF7's or GP35's. I also run everything in 2-3 engine consists.

View attachment 185231
Oh my gosh Willie, just LOVE that old tin-sided, dilapidated shed/barn in your first red warbonnet picture! That's gotta' be contest quality!!! 👍

Thanks for the comment Paul. Not meaning to hijack this thread, but here's a couple of close-ups.
View attachment 185268View attachment 185269
You've got that entire scene nailed to a tee! I'm lovin' it! 😍 I still see old, dilapidated buildings just like this while driving around the back roads here in NE Kansas!. So a perfect fit for your second generation diesel-era layout, in my opinion!

And to get back on track (pun intended 🤪), Even though I like ALL steam, and mainly first generation diesels, I have and run mostly diesels in N-scale and HO-scale. 3-rail O-gauge is another story however, as I have and run pretty much an equal mix of diesels and steamers.

I have many steam locos but the only other loco I have sound in is a Model Power 2-4-4-2 that I've had for over 20 years (sound in it in the last 8) but it's just a little bit to big for the switching that I'm doing now on my layout.
The one in the picture? I would have said that was an Oriental Limited Powerhouse model. I did not know Model Power did any articulated locos.

I thought it was model power hhhmm after I get moved I’ll have to dig out the box again and see. I bought it 30 years ago but that really don’t mean anything.

Hhhmmm. Now you got me thinking. It’s not plastic so ??? I know it runs great and if I would modify a tail track for more than that locomotive I’d be running it.

The 2-4-4-2 loco I had a guy put sound in it and it’s a mrc decoder. The Bachman climax has a better decoder in it and I was also wondering it I could put that in this loco?

Climax has better features than the 2-4-4-2 sound decoder.

I have both steam and diesel, however I only run 3 locos with 2 steam and one diesel. I just got the Varney 4-6-0 tuned up to the point where it does not derail anywhere. It is my "road" loco.

I have two switchers, one a Rivarosi 0-6-0 tank engine and a Walthers SW-1. I run all three engines.

front end 321.jpg

Dave LASM

That must have been interesting. My "Prairie" is very sensitive over complicated switchwork (derails on one diamond🤔). It seems that shorter wheelbase steamers have more problems.
The problem I solved was the leading truck. A simple bend in the copper piece applied additional pressure to the leading wheels and that keeps those wheels following the track. That was actually a brilliant design. If you lose that little spring, however, all bets are off.

321 front trucks.jpg

no weights required, the spring and copper strip do all the work. This is a heavy cast locomotive, I am sure that helps, too!

Dave LASM

I'm new to this forum and was just wondering how many use only steam locomotives and how many use only diesel locomotives?
how many like steam and how many like diesel?
Guess, I never answered the question. In general, if it is a locomotive I like it. I am guessing I have at just less than 10 times as many diesels as I do steamers, but that is mostly due cost. Back in the day, one could buy many diesels for the price of one steamer.

On a similar note, I don't have a layout so I only use them at shows and exhibitions. Of late, I've been running steam. The chuffing and smoking are a great hit with the audience.
20240204_151918[1].jpg
watching trains.jpg
1712083035109.jpeg

Last edited:
One factor as to whether you run steam or diesel or both has to do with what era a modeler runs on a layout. Many of us model the "transition" era of the 1940's through the '50's. Except for steam excursions or tourist railroads still being run today, steam locomotives disappeared from mainline railroads by 1960. Diesel power started in the mid-1930's in the form of switch engines and the crack streamliners like the UP M10000 and the Burlington Zephyrs, but steam generally ruled until just before WWII. I personally model the '40's through about 1962, and have "shovelnose" Zephyrs because I rode the one in the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago when it was in actual service. But I love steam locomotives because the mechanisms are fascinating.

Your models are great, and I see the kids are fascinated by them as well! Keep up the good work!

Back