St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railway (SLIMS) St. Louis to Piedmont Route

Here's a layout that I'm designing to replicate the St. Louis to Piedmont, MO route. The layout would 10' x 30' two level shelf layout with each shelf being 2 feet deep. The era is the 1880s using N Scale.

Level 1

SaintLouisIronMountainandSouthernRailwaylevel1.jpg

Level 2

ouisIronMountainandSouthernRailwayMultilevelLevel2.jpg

The industries for operations would be the following:

1. Passenger Service
2. Iron Mining
3. Silver Mining
4. Beer Brewing (Lemp and A-B) [Need Icing Platforms]
5. General Merchandise
6. Lead Mining
7. Lumber
8. Stockyard
9. Slaugherhouse

Comments, suggestions, etc... are all welcome.

1880's means small 4-4-0's, 2-6-0's, and 2-8-0's. Not sure if anyone makes all those wheels arrangements in N-Scale for that time period. I know Bachmann has the 4-4-0, but not sure if anyone makes the 2-6-0 or 2-8-0 from that era. I'm not saying they don't but I don't think that there's much out there.

1880's means small 4-4-0's, 2-6-0's, and 2-8-0's. Not sure if anyone makes all those wheels arrangements in N-Scale for that time period. I know Bachmann has the 4-4-0, but not sure if anyone makes the 2-6-0 or 2-8-0 from that era. I'm not saying they don't but I don't think that there's much out there.

Thanks for the head's up and it will be tough to find era specific items. I'll be more than content to just use 4-6-0 and 4-4-0 engines. Bachmann makes 4-6-0s as well and with DCC. SLIMS used 2-8-0, 4-2-0, 4-4-0, and 4-6-0 during the 1880s. The rolling stock will have to be scratch built since no one makes it at this time. I'm looking forward to the challenge though. :)

One of the books I'm using as a reference is The Official Railroad Equipment Register June 1903 issue. It gives all the cars, car dimensions, car number range, and the number of specific cars that SLIMS used. My plan is to build one of each type of car and make silicon molds then cast them in resin. It will make building a fleet of rolling stock easier than doing it one at a time. The tough part for me, would be to find information on passenger stock since that wasn't included in The Official Railroad Equipment Register outside of numbers and individual names for non-Pullman cars. MoPac had a lot of passenger stock that was built to their specs due to all the litigation between Pullman and MoPac over contracts. MoPac had named all of their passenger sleepers, but didn't have a number on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truss rod freight cars

RSLaser has wood truss rod freight car kits in N scale. They have stock cars, flats, gondolas, wood tank car and a MOW caboose. They would fit your era.

Attachments

• RSL Tank.jpg
    RSL Tank.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Gon.jpg
    Gon.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 161
  • RSL_Cab.jpg
    RSL_Cab.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 162
  • Cattle.jpg
    Cattle.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 170
I'm not living there yet, but if everything goes according to plan I'll have a nice little acreage down there. You're right it is beautiful country. Out of all the places I've lived in none of them come close to the serenity, beauty, and awe inspiring views as the Ozarks there.

There are a lot of towns like the one your uncle lived in all across Missouri. LOL It's pretty nice to be able to go some place like Rocky Comfort and just feel how slow things are to gain an appreciation for the slower way of life.

Ozarks R. Lee:

I noticed that you have Arcadia on your track plan. If you want any info about the area let me know - I was born and raised in Arcadia, and as a teenager spent a lot of time down at the Arcadia/Ironton Depot, and later braked on the MoPac in the late 1970s out of Bismarck MO. Many times I worked on the train from Bismarck to Poplar Bluff and return. I also used to hike from Arcadia up the railroad to Tip Top - sometimes hunting rabbits (Mom said she'd cook them if I cleaned them). My Dad spent many years working for Hanna Mining Co. (iron ore) in Pilot Knob MO (about 2 miles north of Arcadia on the MoPac.)

DougC

DougC, I would mightily appreciate any info you can send my way about the areas on my track plan. It's cool that you worked for MoPac. I wonder if you worked with my great uncle Truman Harris since he also worked for them up in St. Louis. Do you happen to know what the color scheme was for SLIMS in the 1880s?

I've gotten some really great feedback on the track layout, so I'm starting the process of adding in the terrain to the SCARM models. This will keep me busy for sometime.

Back