Spine cars

PEIR

Eastern RailNet
I am looking at picking up some spine cars in the near future and was wondering what the pros and cons of the Athearn RTR and Walthers RTR versions were? The Athearn site doesn't show their spine cars with the hitches. Does anyone have photos of the cars on their layout?

I cant provide any information on either of them as I dont have them. I was going to order a set of each of the Walthers sets, but im going to wait for the Bowser Spine Car sets to come out...

Both the Athearn and Walthers Spines look like there pretty well detailed, as do the Bowser Sets

I have been searching the web and the Athearn cars appear to be better detailed from what I can see. I didn't realize Bowser was doing spine cars so I guess its off to do more research.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but I believe that the Athearn Spines can hold 53'ers, I know for sure that the Bowser ones will hold 53'ers. The Walthers ones only hold 48'ers

Athearn's hold 53', Walthers are 48' and Bowser IDK. The Bowser cars do look like the are as well detailed as the Athearn Version. They also say early 2010 release but are they actually out yet?

Athearn's hold 53', Walthers are 48' and Bowser IDK. The Bowser cars do look like the are as well detailed as the Athearn Version. They also say early 2010 release but are they actually out yet?

Bowser cars DO hold 53'ers...

And no, the Bowser Spine sets are not out yet. They were supposed to be released first quarter this year, but much like alot of other stuff, they have not made a release yet...

I think im going to get a set of each of the Bowser 5-units on order, checked Walthers and they are not sold out and still available for reservation. They will work well with what i want to model with my La Mirada project with the spine/stack train parked on the passing siding lol

I answered my own original question and I am going to order a set of the Athearn cars to sample and a set of the Bowser when they are released and go from there.

I have a bunch of older athearn spines and I have seen in articles and real life that they do hold containers. Only thing is that when I went down to see if the spine I have hold container they don't....?

I guess I will have to by some detail parts to msake those work.

But anyways not to threadjack..... I am looking forward to seeing these Bowser spine as they look very detailed. I might just have to pick up a set....

I used to have a set of those older Athearn [Impack?] cars years ago and IIRC I couldn't get containers on mine either. Josh is going to hook me up with a set of the new RTR Athearn cars the first of the month. I'll post a review of the cars in this thread when I receive them.

Impack's must be different then spine's I guess. Cause they are Impack's now that you mentioned it....

Here is a pic of the RTR Athearn cars minus the hitches.

ATH28918.jpg

I recently picked up a set of the Walthers 5 car spine set. I really like them, and they are all metal, nice and heavy. The details are pretty good also.

The Athearn Impack cars are trailer only cars and can carry 53's on the ends only, like the real things. (as I recall) They come in 5 unit car sets.
The Spine cars are "all purpose" cars and the fifth wheels slide to a lowered position to hold containers. They come in three car sets.
Personally I hate the spine cars, only because I used to work with them and they were a real PITA, not to mention dangerous when those pedestals came crashing down!

I recently picked up a set of the Walthers 5 car spine set. I really like them, and they are all metal, nice and heavy. The details are pretty good also.

Would you be able to post some pictures of the Walther's cars Motley? Walther's pictures on their page don't show very much.

The Athearn Impack cars are trailer only cars and can carry 53's on the ends only, like the real things. (as I recall) They come in 5 unit car sets.
The Spine cars are "all purpose" cars and the fifth wheels slide to a lowered position to hold containers. They come in three car sets.
Personally I hate the spine cars, only because I used to work with them and they were a real PITA, not to mention dangerous when those pedestals came crashing down!

Thanks for the real life review Rico. Modelers don't often consider the dangers of working with the prototype equipment.

Thanks for the pictures Michael! Are the car heavy enough from the factory to stay on the rails empty?

Thanks for the pictures Michael! Are the car heavy enough from the factory to stay on the rails empty?

Yes that's what I mentioned earlier, is they are made of metal, and are pretty heavy, no problems running empty either in front, or rear of the train.

The correct way to say 5 car spine set is 5 unit car. This goes for spines & wells. Each spine or well is called a unit & they each have a letter designator. Check out the real ones & decorated models. A five unit set would be A, E, D. C & B w/ reporting marks on the A & B units. Each car has an A & B end just like any other freight car.

Michael can you shoot some closeup pix of the Walthers car to show the letter designators & reporting marks?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back