Speaking of Ebay, man some people have lost it!!!

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
These are 3 RTR Athearn kits that have been weathered, damaged, patched, graffitied, etc. But worth this much???

$236.50
http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Weathere...ryZ19130QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$292.99
http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Weathere...ryZ19130QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

$357.00

Now is it me or some people really lost the plot, and gone bid happy. Good for the seller, but just crazy money for cars in my humble opinion.

In many cases you are paying for the name [of the weatherer]. If they've won the endorsements of other hi-profile weatherers, their "stock" goes up. These people usually work from a full set of prototype photos of every side (including the roof) of the car/loco and reproduce them exactly, dent-for-dent, even mimicking the texture of heavily rusted steel or peeling paint. Sometimes they spend weeks, even months, on a single car.

People have done the math comparing the selling price of a model with the amount of time a weathering artist spends working on it, and it worked out to an effective pay rate of <$10/hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good finds! I have noticed similar sales and I think Ken hit the nail on the head. But it's too rich for my blood! Especially when I can do something similar and feel accomplished about it at the same time.

Too much for me too, wow. It does blow my mind at some of these as well as fascinate me at how good some of these "weatherers" are. It really is an art when they become so detailed that they mimic the prototype exactly.

I've not looked at his wares before, but I've looked at stuff from "Griff Jr", I think. HIs stuff is priced lower.

But, on these, I noticed the opening bid was $9.99, but the first guy went right to $200.00 or so...

Kennedy

Griff is a great man, I'd recommend patronizing him... ;) ;) (no I don't get anything for that). The guys @ Griff's Grime shop really do know what they're doing, and I'd think, as Ken said, its the name...

i just had a guy on ebay outbid me for 1 slide. opening bid was .99, i placed a bid of $20 hoping nobody would want to go high for 1 slide. Nope, got outbid, so i started to place more bids. It got to $40 before I said screw it, this guy can have it for that price.

E bay has been pulling some good prices for a while now , probably a good time to sell any extra stuff.

That's really what you have to do; have a limit and not go over it. I've gotten the bidding fever before; sometimes I've caught myself, sometimes not. Nothing too bad either way, it's rare that I get ticked off on losing something. Most of that is where I get outbid at the last minute.

Kennedy

... Most of that is where I get outbid at the last minute.

Ebay snipers.

They are a love/hate type of bidder, generally I am not a huge fan since it seems like the auctions of the items that I would really like to have always end while I am at work. If I really want something then I will have my father snag it with his superior sniping skills. It makes him happy when he wins one at the closing second. :rolleyes:

Ebay snipers.

They are a love/hate type of bidder, generally I am not a huge fan since it seems like the auctions of the items that I would really like to have always end while I am at work. If I really want something then I will have my father snag it with his superior sniping skills. It makes him happy when he wins one at the closing second. :rolleyes:

Use to go to this website for 1/24th scale collector cars their policy on sniping was to extend the auction a couple of hours when someone did that. :D

I'm doing my very first E-Bay right now (bidding, not selling) and I've got about 28 minutes left to see if anyone has outbid me on the item (and no, I'm not telling you WHAT item, LOL!). My, it does get BOUNCY out there, doesn't it? If I'm out-bid--oh well,--if I win the bid, I'll be a very Happy Camper.

But WOWSER, it gets fierce out there during the last few minutes, doesn't it?

Tom:eek:

Rotor--

Nah, I got outbid by about two or three dollars at the last minute, LOL! But that's all right, I've already go three of them (Akane Yellowstones, BTW) and let's face it, as a DC modeler who can handle two trains at the same time at the MAX, what do I need with a FOURTH?

I NEED IT BECAUSE I'M GREEDY, THAT'S WHAT!!!

Seriously, the guy that got it got a really GOOD price on it, and I understand that the seller has a really great reputation, so I'm happy for him, whoever he is.

Of course (he said with an evil snicker), if the buyer decides he doesn't like it, I hope he looks me up.
But from the description, I think he got a pretty darned good locomotive.

Tom

Man, I've lost it. I bought 6x of the Athearn 2970 covered hoppers for $17.01 each. All Undec.

That brings me up to twelve 2970's though.

I just sniped a few items myself. But if you dont you have some idiot bid them way out of reason by the time the auction is over. My last snipe was tonight and was a SP SW1500. I got it at just below new price. unlike the last one i bid early and it went for over 100 dollars. I feel for the poor looser who bought that one. I just won 9 of 12 amtrak cars, a SD50 in Rio Grande, and four Rio Grande SD40T-2's for good prices. All in all I am happy with what I have won on ebay. Prices have been reasonable but I really need to cool it off and build my layout. Maby this weekend I can clean up on of the basement rooms and build a few temporyary tables to use untill I get a design planned out. I am up to around 22 to 23 engines now and think I have enough. Besides I am about to end up with more engines then rollingstock.

Tom there I hope I wasnt the one bidding against you if it were that Rio Grande SD50. There were two of them and I kept bidding on both but someone else wanted them as bad as I did. I won one of them for 81 dollars plus the shipping. Looks like a good engine and will go with my SP and D&RGW units well. Kinda a fan of the Rio Grande myself as I am from Colorado. SP and RG are my favorite other then the Kyle.

...Prices have been reasonable but I really need to cool it off and build my layout...

Boy I sure can relate to this statement!

eBay really is a dog-eat-dog world. I hate snipers too but sometimes you just have to play the game to actually win it. Luckily I'm cheap as heck so I have gotten used to loosing. :)

Mark

Back