Some Industrial Building ideas

blownoutcylinder

I ended up with a bunch of industrial building photos over the past few months---including an entire street that has this going on---

Just a sampling----anyone else do this kinda stuff?

I'm glad I took photos of some industrial sites a few years back, they're all gone now.
Including a coal fired gen station in downtown Winnipeg.
I love old brick buildings with ornate designs, I try to snap pics whenever I can.
I like a couple of the ones you posted, nice generic types for a layout.

Cool pictures, Barry. I especially like the one of the building with the corrugated siding and the stone foundation. There are still some nice old industrial buildings in Montgomery. I'll have to get down there and take some pictures.

These kind of photos are really useful for me (as I am a few thousand miles away!) both as inspiration for scratchbuilding but also for detailing. I also want to try to use good "square on" photos for the back scene. So please keep posting :)

Does anyone know of any good sites for backscene quality photos? Especially for mid-west small towns (central Illinois style).

I've always been a fan of industrial modeling...they're great features to have on a layout, from both an operational, & a visual standpouint...
I've built two industrial-themed layouts in both HO & N scales...

Hre's a photo I took a few years back...it's what was left of the old American Standard plant here in Louisville, KY

amerstand1.jpg

I keep thinking it would make a great scrap box project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking building, must have been added on to a hundred times!
Here's a couple I took today, similar to the AS pic, the old Manitoba Sugar plant in Winnipeg MB:

Great pix there Rico.

I came across a new plant that got closed down a couple of years after built. Two on the left unnamed plant: St Thomas ON and old elevator/feedmill near Jarvis ON

mice pics, Rico. Are any of those buildings still in use? It looks like the one opposite the building with all the broken windows is still doing something.

Barry, it looks like the modern building and silos are part of an ethanol plant. The only reason ethanol is still produced in the US is because the government gives them a huge subsidy. I don't know what the situation is in Canada. Most ethanol plants would close down overnight if the subsidization an essentially unneeded material was stopped.

These buildings get leased out to businesses like lumber re-sizers and off loaders. They come and go almost on a monthly basis sometimes.
I didn't get photos of the old silos, I believe they are empty.
Across the city there is an old malt house with huge silos that at one time held, of all things, live fish! No idea if they still do.

Jim It was an Ethanol plant. Company folded just a few months after plant started. mmm---:rolleyes: There is some interest in the plant currently but one knows how these things go---:eek::rolleyes:

From L-R: What is called the East mill at Carmeuse Limestone in Beachville ON---very white in terms of weathering, weigh scale foundation--weigh scale can be seen lower right in pic, Center Mill --note all the stairways and catwalks etc in left side of mill, back to East Mill site---white white white

Drew Those photos are really packed!! The older structure--is there anything going on with that one?

A few more for your perusal---

From L-R: North of Kirkwood ON, Palmerston ON for the middle two--the third image shows a foundation from an even older mill complex---BTW--odd driveway around the back of this mill actually leads to a house--formerly a mill mgr would have lived therein but now it is owned by someone else, Mitchell ON---recently closed mill--

What a great thread going here. I would like to see more of about all the buildings posted so far but I know I couldn't ever build them all so I'm not going to even waste your time. I will have to dig up what I can to help keep the tread going.
Dave

The Thamesford ON mill--( Hogg's Mill )---has become a bit of an issue--the current owner is now wondering about the property's future--

I ended up with a bunch of industrial building photos over the past few months---including an entire street that has this going on---

Just a sampling----anyone else do this kinda stuff?

I love the picture of the two cupola furnace tops. Do you have anymore pictures of that foundry???? I hope you do!

I love the picture of the two cupola furnace tops. Do you have anymore pictures of that foundry???? I hope you do!

You know--I worked at this place many years ago when it was Kelsey-Hayes Eureka foundry here in Woodstock ON. I have SOMEWHERE in a couple of suitcases filled with negatives and such a batch of pix I took when I was working there!:eek: Do you think I can find them? :eek::confused: My job entailed taking a forklift outfitted with a ladle and pouring the molten steel into black sand molds---lotsa fun!!:eek::)

I have a few more outside one's. I'm in contact with the agent for the property which is currently up for sale--hopefully I can get some interior shots. Maybe I'll find these dang things at my sisters home instead-[banghead]

An interesting assortment of things

1-Mitchell ON--old elevator
2-Presstran plant--very piculous security here--St. Thomas ON
3-at present a warehouse, Woodstock ON
4-Former Harvey Woods textile mill--Woodstock ON

Barry, what do they make at the pant in the second picture? Those power poles have an arrangement I've never seen. It almost looks like some kind of open transformer in the circle at the bottom.

We have a bunch of abandoned textile plants down here, including a very modern Russell Athletic Clothing plant that is only about 15 years old. It's huge and completely shut down. If you can't make money producing clothing in Alabama, there's no chance that we'll have any Noth American made clothing soon.

Back