Small N scale trackplan

Dameon

I am currently in the process of building an new N scale layout. It is just something small and manageable for me to work on and complete until I'm able to devote more time and resources to the hobby again.

The track is all Kato Unitrack. This was originally intended to be only a 2'x4' layout but it grew into a 2.5'x5', which in N scale is actually a "larger" layout than a 4'x8' in HO. I am pretty content with this track plan, but I thought I should let others comment on it in case someone sees something I missed or has some recommendations. Scenery is going to be generic Appalachia: coal country.

NscaleLayoutPlan1.png

The base is just a simple continuous loop so I can run a train around with some switching to provide myself with some operational fun. I much prefer the single track branchline look over all the N scale plans you see trying to cram double tracks onto too small of a layout.

Some of my design druthers were to avoid tight radius curves and running too much track parallel to the sides. I've kept the curves to a minimum 11" radius. I've managed to keep the track at least 1" to 2" away from the edge of the layout (which will eventually be protected by a low plexiglass barrier to keep cats and young fingers off the layout).

The biggest compromise I made was to forgo having a run-around track. I know the idea of running around the entire loop to get around a car for switching makes some people cringe, but with a layout this size you can't have everything. It's a compromise I can live with as it prevents the layout from getting choked with track and allows for some actual depth of scenery.

There will be a backdrop down the middle separating the layout into two sides. One side will be the branchline winding through the side of a valley past a coal mine and across a stream.

The other side is a junction that serves as an interchange for the local, with the crossing diamond making the area look more busy than it actually is. The siding will serve two industries and I am not yet set on the exact plan of it. That will depend on my final choice for industries. I will likely use building fronts along the backdrop on this side to conserve space.

I know the end of the siding will be a team track, which allows for some random variety in the freight traffic (ie: spot any type of car here!). For the switchback side I am contemplating either a grain Co-Op (since I already have a kit), something akin to a textile factory (this could tie into the stream!) or I am leaning towards a small plastics plant.

The idea with the plastics plant being that it could support a wide variety of freight cars with one industry: Hoppers (plastic pellets), tank cars (chemicals), and box cars ( finished products out, supplies in) all of which would need to be spotted in a specific order along the single siding which would add to the operational interest.

Should be possible to fit in a double ended siding if you want one.

N scale is very compact - somewhere around here I had a link to an N scale 2.7 foot x 5 foot plan, made by Paulus Jas in the Model Railroader Magazine forums - ah, found it:

Madiso03.png

I know you wanted less tracks - but observe how he has used two different tricks to fit in double ended sidings - could be an idea for you there.

Smile,
Stein

Looks like a great little layout!
I like the scenic divider thing and the track to scenery ratio.
The interchange adds variety too.
I did a similar small layout once, sparse on one side with lots of trees and big backdrop buildings on the other for contrast.
I do think a small runaround would add to it tho...

I got to set up the track today and found out a few things. They layout is really about 2' 7" by 5' 1" after you factor in the thickness of the fascia I am adding. The plan shown was the exact 2.5'x 5' board. The scenery was going to go right up to the edge so the results are that I had a more space to play with between the track and edge of layout then I thought. Too much actually...

The space between the track and edge of the layout felt awkward to me. Not wide enough to really put any sort of scenery between the track and the edge, but to wide to leave as an open space. So, I redid the curves a bit, basically putting the two smaller curve pieces on the same side of the straights. This gives me a better angle for the river that will be going under the bridge so I can "S" curve it and make it disappear into the layout.

I also got a clearer idea of the space for structures and was able to test some ideas for how the sidings on the town side would be laid out. I found I can simply remove the longer straight sections and drop a pair of switches in without needing to do any other re-planning of track. That is great, as I can continue construction on everything else and just swap the pieces out later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the slightly evolved plan:
NscalelayoutPlan2.png

I know it's short run-around but a "local" is only going to be about 4 cars, if that, so I'll only need to run around 1 or 2 cars. The mine sidings can handle about 4-5 cars but it will get its own run apart from the mixed freight.

For right now I am going with the Grain Co-Op on the eastern side of the siding, behind the tracks and the team track will be on the western switchback side between the siding and the main/junction line.

I need to test build another idea I have to see if I can fit in a depot I want but that has to wait for now.

I'm still working on names. I'm calling the mine side Cold Creek Valley, so you have the Cold Creek Mine and the track even crosses over Cold Creek itself!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like!
When you're doing scenery you could make the interchange look like it used to continue along the main around the curve for a bit with old ballast and ties, sort of a little history.
Cold Creek will have lots of scenic possibilities also, post pics!

Well, progress is being made. I got the new switches in, so I am going with the "evolved plan".

I've decided to just name the layout Cold Creek. The town on the other side now has a name: Helen.

I picked up the Pikestuff MAC kit along with some other detail parts like storage tanks, and this is going to become a compact plastics manufacturing plant; "ConPlastics" or some such name. This is my first Pikestuff kit and I was simply amazed at the awesome modularity of the kit. I'll definitely recommend these kits in the future!

Before I was able to get the MAC kit I was going to be using an old Walther Cornerstone kit, the Heartland Grain Elevator, in that location instead. I have decided I am going to keep the Grain Elevator and move it to the position on the other siding were it will share space with the ramp for the team track. The whole operation will go under the name of "Tri-Vally Co-Op, Feed & Seed".

For those interested, the mine is a kitbashed New River Mine kit, nearly halved in size (about two stories shorter and only serves two tracks, with no truck loader either).

So the Cold Creek branchline will now demand a greater variety of freight traffic: Besides the short coal drags up and down the valley, the local to Helen will be bringing in plastic pellets, chemicals and packing materials to ConPlastics and hauling finished products out while Tri-Valley will see the occasional shipment of seed and farm supplies, machinery, and anything else for other local business in need of their unloading ramp, while sending out hoppers of feed grade corn.

I'd post pics, but there's nothing to see yet besides bare foam & wood with some track on it and a few mockups for building placement.

Back