Small HO or N

Hutch

Can't make up my mind. I had HO a few years back with a giant layout. Now I want a small layout and am considering 0-6-0 type locos for HO or 2-6-2 N guage. I'd like to keep it on 36" X 72" or smaller board. It will hold Christmas buildings that are not even close to scale, I don't mind that. Double outer track with a couple of switches thrown in for something. Does this sound like something you've done? Let me know.

I had a Christmas layout with an On30 train set from Bachmann. I used the thick, fluffy, cotton sheets for snow that the stores sell near Christmas, and I had various ceramic, lighted, wintery scene buildings and a Station. It was a simple oval of EZ-Track with a siding running past the depot. The buildings were separated in size by at least half a scale, but as you say, who cares. Toy trains require suspension of disbelief or there's no point to them.
I don't mix scales. I have enjoyed my time in HO so far, but I would love to have even a decent-looking shelf queen in O or G scale just to admire on a small diorama. I just like looking at a steamer when I am near to it.

That would be my reason for going HO, plus I'm experienced. But, that space issue is a real thing. I want to put my layout on hinges to lift it up for wiring. No more crawling around underneath.

That would be my reason for going HO, plus I'm experienced. But, that space issue is a real thing. I want to put my layout on hinges to lift it up for wiring. No more crawling around underneath.
That's what I did, but had to do it in two halves (one of 3'6" other half is 4') it's too heavy to lift on my own.

1674248429016.jpeg

I once made a gate for mine but I never got a perfect track alignment, always a little clunky when the train ran over the seams..

I was talking about the track seams.
OOPs, sorry. I laid the track across the seam making sure the gap between the ties was in the middle, pinned it in place and used a dremel to cut the track, then secured the ends nearest the seam again using a penny washer and a wood screw.

The only way I got round that was to have a 2" section of track overlapping the seam, but I then had to secure it in place with a track screw or penny washer every time I wanted to run something, it just wasn't worth it in the end.

I've come up with a new idea. Ho, pretty sure. L shape, 18" wide or less running along my basement wall with reversing loops in the other sections of my basement behind walls. So, small has just gone out the window.

Says it can run on 18"curves so 36" reverse loops in the other rooms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230121_100448_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230121_100448_Chrome.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 46
I've come up with a new idea. Ho, pretty sure. L shape, 18" wide or less running along my basement wall
Just remember that you will have about an 8" radius for curves, pretty tight curves for HO engines other than steam shifters or diesel switchers.
If using structures like Dept. 56, HO will look better.
Good luck to you and take pictures!

Hmmm, I'm getting confused. But for start. Going back to the original post you asked if anyone did such a thing and I can say I have done both. In 1981 I put an n-scale train around the base of a 6.5 foot tree. It was not even noticeable until after one stepped on it. N-scale Christmas layout on the floor is a BAD idea in every conceivable way. On the other hand if the tree is say 3-4 feet tall and up on a table N-scale can work.

I've had many HO layouts with a 15" and 18" double track main line and various degrees of complexity on 4x4, 4x6, and 4x8 tables. They could have been narrower, but NOT only 36" wide. The 18" radius track would hang off each side of the table by 1/2 inch. So 38" would be the extreme limit for standard 18"and this is if you don't mind having things running on the very edge. I think Peco and Hornby make 17.5" radius curve, but never used either of them. There is lots of equipment that will go around 15" radius curves. Including many 0-6-0 locomotives as they have small drivers. I do have one brass model that will not do that but it does not have a blind driver in the center.

So back to my confusion. How did to get from that to "small going out the window"? No more Christmas village?

And how did you get from nice convenient 0-6-0 locos, to that nasty beast of a 4-12-2 that even the real railroad had a hard time running? They tried to take them over Cajon pass and on the curve at the summit it would cause the outside rail to pop if they went more than a couple miles an hour.

A dog bone layout with big hidden loops on either side is always a good layout design if one can fit it in.

I like sound and smoke. If I can get that in a smaller loco, let me know. Yeah that beast is stupid. I was just looking for a used one and found they want more than new on ebay.

Back