Small Highway/Switching Layout

Looks like a real nice switching layout, Josh. It would be easy to extend the layout with your modules once you have them. The only change I would make is to have the switch at #13 come off the third track instead of the second and save yourself the cost of a crossover. I can't see a reason you need to have one there unless I'm missing something.

Looks like a real nice switching layout, Josh. It would be easy to extend the layout with your modules once you have them. The only change I would make is to have the switch at #13 come off the third track instead of the second and save yourself the cost of a crossover. I can't see a reason you need to have one there unless I'm missing something.

Hi Jim, thanks for the comments, im in the process of ordering the track and rail right now hehe

The crossover at #13 is there because the third track is a siding for a building. I didnt think it would be prototypical to have a turnout going to the top building coming off that track, that would mean that an engine would have to travel through the building to back into the siding for the top building everytime a car needed to be pulled or pushed on that siding lol

That makes reasonable sense, though i am not the best judge of whether it is actually true or not...
It looks like a good layout to me.

Josh, you have almost three feet of track before it gets to that lowere building. This is plenty of space for a switcher and a couple of cars to use as a trail track to swith the building above. Since the traffic volume on these spurs is probably low, the railroad would try to switch both industries with the same switch job so there would be some car shuffling even with the cross over. Just like model crossovers are expensive, real railroad crossovers are expensive and railroads avoid them unless they have no other choice. The last I read, fabrication and installation of a crossover was about $100 thousand compared to a switch at about $15 thousand. A business would have to generate an awful lot of revenue to justify that kind of expenditure.

That makes reasonable sense, though i am not the best judge of whether it is actually true or not...
It looks like a good layout to me.

Josh, you have almost three feet of track before it gets to that lowere building. This is plenty of space for a switcher and a couple of cars to use as a trail track to swith the building above. Since the traffic volume on these spurs is probably low, the railroad would try to switch both industries with the same switch job so there would be some car shuffling even with the cross over. Just like model crossovers are expensive, real railroad crossovers are expensive and railroads avoid them unless they have no other choice. The last I read, fabrication and installation of a crossover was about $100 thousand compared to a switch at about $15 thousand. A business would have to generate an awful lot of revenue to justify that kind of expenditure.

:eek: 100 thousand dollars for a crossing? Dang thats a TON of money lol. My railroad is going to be rich then, cuz now they will have 2 100 thousand dollar crossings hehe.

I have read and understand your advise Jim, but i think im going to do it this way hehe :D

Ill save the "extreme details" for the M&ET modules lol :D

Made a couple small changes. I added a track to serve the Armstrong Electric Motors building. I had to add in another crossing and take out the small siding at the top right to do this, added a Atlas Code 83 30 degree crossing. I also added another small siding to make up for removing the other on the left across the mainline from the other thats already there

e4d2e584.png

1. Blue Star Ready Mix Concrete Batch Plant
2. Blue Star Ready Mix's Bulk Materials Unloader Conveyor/Pit
3. Blue Star Ready Mix's Bulk Materials Bunkers
4. Blue Star Ready Mix Asphalt Batch Plant (not drawn in)
5. Ramp/Bridge from Washington Street Bridge
6. Washington Street Bridge
7. Highway On-Ramp from Washington Street to Highway 10
8. Highway 10 (not drawn in, 6 lane highway with center divider)
9. Centennial Mills (Rail and or Truck Loading Dock)
10. Armstrong Electric Motors (Truck Loading Dock Space)
11. Un-Known Company (Rail Access and 3 Truck Docks
12. Un-Known Company (4 Rail Access Doors, 2 Truck Docks)
13. Atlas Code 83 19 Degree Crossing
14. Atlas Code 83 30 Degree Crossing
15. Walthers Code 83 #6-1/2 Curved Turnout

All other stuff is the same as it was on my last post. I think im done editing this plan and now its just a matter of getting the track to do it :D

name suggestions:
name of town + name of type of industry = name of specific industry
for example, Name of town is seaport, name of type of industry, it's a cement company. so it is Seaport Cement Co. :)

name suggestions:
name of town + name of type of industry = name of specific industry
for example, Name of town is seaport, name of type of industry, it's a cement company. so it is Seaport Cement Co. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, ill have to keep this in mind when i go to name some industries :D

Dont you just hate when you cannot for the life of you make up your dang mind on something to model? :( :rolleyes:

It happened to me, AGAIN :mad:

So here it is, after seeing Kurt's Miami thread, looking it over again and again, and after spending literally hours reading, studying, and re-reading on this guys site: http://www.lancemindheim.com I have come to the decision that i want to do something like this. Since the ideas of modeling the M&ET were thrown out the window and are un-reasonable given my current living situation right now, at least until i can get a place of my own and the M&ET can have its own building/storage room, the plans are just not going to happen right now. The M&ET modules are really something that i need to do when i get a little older, something to work on when i have the space for them.....

Right now, i have space for a few small modules, i can prolly get 4-5 more modules comfortably on the wall (this does not include the 2 modules i have now) if i take down my old shelfs completely. The reason i want to stay away from layouts attached to my walls, at least for the time being, is that i dont know what the current situation of my family (mom and dad) and the situation with our house (crappy economy is making it tough) is going to be in the near future. And everything from here on out that i model in my room that is attached to a wall, is pretty much all for nothing as it will have to be torn down anyways when i am either forced to move out or get a place of my own which will hopefully be soon lol.

I wanna do a couple small modules, really focusing on the details of buildings, roads, trains, and scenery details. I just do not know what to model right now. I need to do some research to pick a good spot to model.....

Anyone who was following this thread and was hoping for more progress, im sorry, its just not going to happen given my current situation :( :(

Back