Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

What kind of car is this? Would it have been around in 1974?
I love your weathering!

Thanks for your friendly comment!
It's a Gunderson 50'Hi-Cube Paper box car from Athearn(#932-7106).
You're right,this car type haven't been around in the mid 70's,but I have turned the period in which my layout is"playing"from mid 70's to mid 90's,with all the consequences for my rolling stock and planing....In the coming days I'll going to continue my "Watsonville"-thread with new pictures from the construction of the second part of my layout which is in a good progress.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Very inspiring work everyone! The only bad thing about this thread is now I realize how far behind I am in my weathering.

More boxcar fun from some cars I've done in the past-

2509149834_4b7ba9e310.jpg

CNW 50' waffle-side boxcar Walthers kit- with seperate grabs, Details West cushion coupler pockets, air hoses, uncoupling levers, Kadee 58s, metal wheels, and Oddballs decals.

3273777107_91a0ef71ca.jpg

Rock Island 50' PS-1 Intermountain Kit- detailed with Microscale decals, Details West cushion coupler pockets, air hoses, uncoupling levers, metal wheels and Kadee 58s.

Thanks for looking!

Atlas O scale, 3 rail scale car. 3R trucks with scale couplers. Cut levers were hand bent, roller bearing caps painted blue to simulate their replacement, yellow reflective stripes added, extended cushion coupler pockets, and grafitti done by hand.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More boxcar fun from some cars I've done in the past-

2509149834_4b7ba9e310.jpg

CNW 50' waffle-side boxcar Walthers kit- with seperate grabs, Details West cushion coupler pockets, air hoses, uncoupling levers, Kadee 58s, metal wheels, and Oddballs decals.

3273777107_91a0ef71ca.jpg

Rock Island 50' PS-1 Intermountain Kit- detailed with Microscale decals, Details West cushion coupler pockets, air hoses, uncoupling levers, metal wheels and Kadee 58s.

Thanks for looking!

Very nice. I love the details!

Atlas O scale, 3 rail scale car. 3R trucks with scale couplers. Cut levers were hand bent, roller bearing caps painted blue to simulate their replacement, yellow reflective stripes added, extended cushion coupler pockets, and grafitti done by hand.

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Wow! I wish I had the space for O scale. I would go all the way with details that are a little more difficult to achieve in HO.
Nice work.

There are just some AMAZING stuff on here. Some of you are masters and I hope to come close to your work someday. I'm getting much better since the discovery of the air brush and weathering powders...but I'm nowhere near some of the work in this thread. Thanks for the pics!

Nice boxcar, Frankie Boy. It's an MDC/Roundhouse Pullman Standard boxcar. I have that same one, except mine isn't weathered yet.

I like how he made the riveted parts where the old ACI plate was (on the covered hopper). A nice touch.

Back