Show us your weathered boxcars and covered hoppers

Yes most covered hoppers get 36" wheels.

mother f%&$##@!! I guess I shouldl've just bought a box of intermountain wheels instead multi packs of proto wheels. Looks like i'll have a bunch of proto 2000 wheels laying around when I order the box.

This is one of my favorite threads because I get inspiration from the projects that you all are posting. Here's another one that I'm in the middle of.....
IMG_5819.JPG

I'm mostly done with this side and am only about half done with the other. I also still need to add hoses, fix the broken piece underneath, add another layer of weathering on the wheel faces, and a few other touch-ups.

Here's the prototype:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1990543

Here's what it started as:
IMG_4015.JPG

This is one of my favorite threads because I get inspiration from the projects that you all are posting. Here's another one that I'm in the middle of.....
IMG_5819.JPG

I'm mostly done with this side and am only about half done with the other. I also still need to add hoses, fix the broken piece underneath, add another layer of weathering on the wheel faces, and a few other touch-ups.

Here's the prototype:

IMG_4015.JPG

Superb looking!

IMG_5819.JPG

Here's the prototype:

IMG_4015.JPG

K-Pack
That ROCKS! I can't wait to see the other side and what you come up with to match the first side. What did you use to weather the rusty sides and did you paint the graffiti yourself?

Dave

Thanks for the comments guys.

Railbuilder - I started with two base coats of black/sepia brown acrylic to cover up the yellow on all the parts with dark rust. I then used lots of oils to create the streaking effects (black, white, burnt sienna/umber, raw sienna/umber). For the orange parts I started with a wash of sienna (I think...don't remember), followed by pin washes of black to highlight the details. Pits and streaking were done using oils, then lightly dragged them down with a clean brush. I painted the black rectangles with acrylic, then applied the safety stripe decals over them. Graffitti and reporting marks were hand painted with acrylic, followed by very light washes of oils to try and match the prototype. I then used chalks to highlight and finish it off.

I've been working with the guys over at protoweathering.com on this one, and have had some very helpful feedback. Following their suggestions, I went back and touched up the rust streaking with lighter colors and brought the model much closer to the prototype. Although it's still not perfect, it's beginning to take shape. This is only the 4th model I've tried weathering and they have been very helpful. If you're wanting to improve your modeling or weathering methods, I suggest signing up at Protoweathering...great bunch of guys.

I have been a member there since - well I don't know how long now. I don't know how I missed this one on the site but I will be going back and looking for it.

Job well done and very impressed for your 4th one.

Dave

Yeah, After you mentione PW forum I noticed your IT as well. I checked out the posting on PW forum and it's like the guys there said - it's great!

Dave

Can't take credit for doing this one. Just arrived in mail, got off of eBay for .99! I have to update the couples/trucks but I liked it (and the price!)

Found this on youtube. Might not be for everyone but beginners who want to learn one fast way to weather down some of their rolling stock this might be alot of help. Its a great start.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBOyvS1hBg8

I like his technique. Some day I'll have to invest in a airbrush.

Before I discovered chalks, I dipped my cars in various types of washes and sealed them later with dullcote.

Here are three samples.

I'm glad I came across Al's video. I still like his results better.

Your work looks great too. The trucks look perfect.
Here is a new eBay find I just received. I really like this one. Its an Athearns 50' FMC double door box. Its was custom weathered by JML Weathering. Awesome work.

Back