Show us your...plastic structures

Thank you Motley for the very nice compliment. It was a lot of fun building this kit and the parts fit together with little trim or adjustment.

I agree Crandell! We definitely need to encourage threads like this. If I don't have anything worthy to post, I still enjoy seeing what others have done. Many times, I get inspired to try my skills at building the subject/scene or see better ideas and methods to change or modify what I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
DJ: The only thing missing at the feed mill is me sitting on the loading dock with an RC cola and a Moon Pie. ;) :D

The basic structure is complete as I needed the footprint for track placement and turnout usage. It's a modular kit and I changed a few things up a bit too. It was not designed for inside spotting but I modified a window wall section and made it a roll up door. I scratch built a dock for the inside of the building as well as the doors will remain open for viewing. A concrete structure, I sprayed it with Krylon Textured paint to simulate a stucco finsih. It is O scale, about 14" x 30" and will hold 2 50' cars inside, and 3 cars on the dock outside. I need to weather it, install lights, and more roof detailing but for now I just needed the footprint to continue the track laying process.

IMG_0026-1.png

IMG_0034.png

IMG_0027-2.png

IMG_0035-1.png

IMG_0023-2.png

IMG_0022.png

IMG_0036.png

Grandt Line Valley Seed & Feed

I needed a post office and this kit was modified to build one. I deleted the false-front roof extension and flipped the walls around. Reduced photos of rows of PO-boxes and counter space are inside.

Chas.

I think I posted this one before but I really like what did here....

4187009848_cfb8f1c009.jpg

4187009424_895d8511fa.jpg

My long-suffering Merchan's Row got a much needed revamp last winter, and while it still needs a few more details, I think it looks pretty good.

I also did some work on a DPM JC Nickels kit... alas, the sister took my digital camera to college, and that was the only one I had with macro lens!

I think I posted this one before but I really like what did here....

4187009848_cfb8f1c009.jpg

4187009424_895d8511fa.jpg

My long-suffering Merchan's Row got a much needed revamp last winter, and while it still needs a few more details, I think it looks pretty good.

I also did some work on a DPM JC Nickels kit... alas, the sister took my digital camera to college, and that was the only one I had with macro lens!

I like it; very 40's-50's. The old time stop sign is a great touch. Who makes it?

I recall seeing a real one in Brownsville PA on a side street, near the old Monongahela tracks that run down the street. I'm not sure when the US went to the red octagonal sign, but it had to be the 1960s.

here is my completed Old Coal Mine. I added the drop down shoots from the upper part of the building. There was nowhere for the coal to drop.

13yggug.jpg

2nm3yi9.jpg

The red pieces in the pictures are for a warehouse I'm also working on. It's the DPM Fedups warehouse.

Charles H.

I really like your signs and the awning looks great. I bought the same kit long ago in resin. I think it's plastic now.

The radio shop was patterned after a real place with a similar name in Oakland, CA in the 50s.

It was on College Ave. which explains why the Drugstore is "College Drugs". Visitors think it's a peculiar name for a drug store.:D

Chas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Virginia Midland Man
I like it; very 40's-50's. The old time stop sign is a great touch. Who makes it?

I did.... making signs is one of my favourite things to do around the pike!

They look fantastic! you should do a tutorial on how you make them.

Here's a couple of structures I particularly liked how they turned out...

First up is my "El Diablo" mine. It was the first structure I thought to take to a "really grunged-up" level....

Followed by a wire factory that I built last year. It doesn't have a permanent home yet....

You done an extremely credible job with the mine; I've never been a fan of that kit because I've always thought it was too European. The brick factory looks great. Is that the old Life-Like kit?

Here's my completed Grandt Line Coaling tower. Once it hits the layout, I'll have a hill cut by the log retaining wall with a road leading up to the back. I want to create the scene where a truck is waiting on the doors to be open to dump its coal load:

2gvms1z.jpg

15xph6p.jpg

Considering how long it's been since I've done any modeling, I'm quite pleased, although the pictures are showing me some areas that I need to readdress ;)

You done an extremely credible job with the mine; I've never been a fan of that kit because I've always thought it was too European. The brick factory looks great. Is that the old Life-Like kit?

I built that mine back for my kids layout that our current one grew out of. The mine is gone but pieces from it are all over the current layout!

Nice build on the wire factory, just grungy enough!

Here's my completed Grandt Line Coaling tower. Once it hits the layout, I'll have a hill cut by the log retaining wall with a road leading up to the back. I want to create the scene where a truck is waiting on the doors to be open to dump its coal load:

2gvms1z.jpg

15xph6p.jpg

Considering how long it's been since I've done any modeling, I'm quite pleased, although the pictures are showing me some areas that I need to readdress ;)

Nice! That GL kit is really well-detailed for out of box. I can see an Appalachian truck dump from it very easily. The steps need another support right where the stairway begins to head down.

Back