Show us your caboose!

A bit late with these, but here is an assortment on my road.

RDS_16b.jpg

RDS_35.jpg

RDS_Caboose.jpg

A Queensland Railways, wooden, narrow gauge 'guards van' (as close as I'm gonna get to a caboose!) Verandah, 1st class compartment, even has a space for dogs at the end, there were variations with a space above that for coffins..:D

No photos of the model (OMI Brass) yet, but I am working on this car:
normal_atsf999728_01.jpg

I'm hoping to find another CE-8, and/or a CE-11 still...

I kitbashed and repainted three G scale cabeese for our layout. Here are some photos during the various stages of construction and out on the layout:

cabooserebuild2su2.jpg

caboose1tm8.jpg

cabeesedy0.jpg

cabooselayout2ti8.jpg

snowcabooseyn4.jpg
Very cool!! And very good job by the way too!! I love the Rio Grande line and wish i had the space to model in G scale like what you have!

I really like the santa fe caboose you have in the first picture, i love that era of cars and dont really see that style around very often

A steel caboose built by CN at Pointe St. Charles. This model is a brass model.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently do not have a layout; only a test track set up DC. I put a little power to the track and to my surprise the caboose made a faint hum so I increased the throttle on the pack and the lights came on! I have directional lighting and didn't know it.

Does someone know why the the lights coming on only when the throttle is increased at about medium? Is it because it is DCC.

Also, could someone tell me what this apparatus is.

The lighting issue is probably not because of DCC. It's most likely for a constant brightness circut that relys on a certain amount of voltage to come on.
The Mechanism on the third pic is the generator. The wheel is turning a drveshaft conected to it.
Very nice Caboose. I've considered buying the Athabaska scale models kit to build even though it's not my era.

Funaro Central Vermont

100_0113.png

EL ex lackawanna kayser Valley built caboose

100_0098.png

EL Dunmor Shop Caboose

100_0094.png

Nickel Plate

nkpcabooseside.png

Funaro
prr4wheelcabside.jpg

Funaro
prr8wheelcabside.jpg

Dunmore Shop
PICT0002-1.jpg

Dunmore Shop Wellsville Addison & galeton
wagcabooseside.jpg

The lighting issue is probably not because of DCC. It's most likely for a constant brightness circut that relys on a certain amount of voltage to come on.
The Mechanism on the third pic is the generator. The wheel is turning a drveshaft conected to it.
Very nice Caboose. I've considered buying the Athabaska scale models kit to build even though it's not my era.

Thanks Glen.

This caboose is for my 1974 collection. I currently model 1956, but will be starting another layout hopefully in 2012 depicting the summer of 1974.

Funaro Central Vermont

100_0113.png

EL ex lackawanna kayser Valley built caboose

100_0098.png

EL Dunmor Shop Caboose

100_0094.png

Nickel Plate

nkpcabooseside.png

Funaro
prr4wheelcabside.jpg

Funaro
prr8wheelcabside.jpg

Dunmore Shop
PICT0002-1.jpg

Dunmore Shop Wellsville Addison & galeton
wagcabooseside.jpg

I like the one with the screens. It looks like they are sliding screens?

I have another question for you Glen if you don't mind.

The lower white lights (I'm presuming they are reverse lights) and red marker lights come on at the end of the caboose that points towards the (reverse) direction while the other end only had the red marker lights on? Is this correct? I know nothing about caboose lights.

Unfortunetly you've got me there. I'm only familiar with red lights facing back to show the end of the train in the dark. If there are red lights on on both ends it's either something that I don't know about or its wrong. As for the white lights they could be backup lights but again I don't know.
I'll ask a friend on this one.

Back