Show us your caboose!

How about this one? This is an old 60's era Athearn caboose body on a modern Bachmann caboose chassis with original Athearn metal sprung trucks.

PC080258.jpg

I kitbashed and repainted three G scale cabeese for our layout. Here are some photos during the various stages of construction and out on the layout:

cabooserebuild2su2.jpg

caboose1tm8.jpg

cabeesedy0.jpg

cabooselayout2ti8.jpg

snowcabooseyn4.jpg

red ATSF and ATSF maintenance train are in queue to become a fictional CSX MOW train.

red ATSF and BN shells are just for weathering practice...the BN was an example of what not to do...

Fast weathereing & magic Markers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one from an old Roundhouse kit. I decided to detail the inside. Everything inside except for the figures, lanterns, stove, and a couple other equipment details was scratch built.

CabooseDetail03w.png

CabooseDetail08w.png

Here she is in the yard (Roof is not firmly attached as you can see. It will get lighting sometime.....)

Caboose471w.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few of mine. All were custom painted by me.

Photo #1 - Longview Portland & Northern #1 - Brass

Photo #2 - Columbia & Cowlitz #5 - Atlas

Photo #3 - Weyerhaeuser Co. #4 - Athearn w/ Atlas trucks

Larry, that second little bobber (UP) looks almost identical to one I had way back in the mid 60's when I got my very first HO layout.

Here's my CNR Caboose, a Juneco Craftsman kit. I'm in the middle of making a second one.
2008_03200020.png

2008_03050012.png

And this is my CPR shorty caboose. The prototype was used on a switchback to a smelter in Trail, BC. They could fit 1 more ore car on a train if they used this caboose over a standard length one
Steamerandcab.png

This is my favorite, an old Overland brass UP CA-3 caboose that I repainted in the last days of UP cabooses, from a prototype photo. This one had some repair work done to the sides after an accident and, as you can see, the shop used whatever color yellow they had in stock. It was in the dead line at Yermo two years later.

UPBrassCabooseMedium.jpg

Three of my favorites" 1st a swapmeet find ATSF blind end side door caboose 2nd a PFM GN. 30 footer I repainted and decaled. and 3rd a GN. Hutchinson 50 foot caboose which still exsist today.

ATSFcabooseNo96.jpg

CabooseX271.png

GNX181-2.png

Three of my favorites" 1st a swapmeet find ATSF blind end side door caboose 2nd a PFM GN. 30 footer I repainted and decaled. and 3rd a GN. Hutchinson 50 foot caboose which still exsist today.

GNX181-2.png

GN, is this a model or a kit? this is perfect for what ive been looking for for my layout.

Great idea for a thread....and really nice equipment you fellas are showing here.

I don't have a close-up of this caboose, but it is the only one I have weathered.

IMG_4538csharpr.png

Back