Show us your bridges and supports!

rem37411

Lead Caboose Polisher
I am sure there has been a thread on bridges...but I am mainly interested in seeing how you support your bridges.....pillars or otherwise. I have four bridges that will be basically "Out in the boonies" and I am interested in seeing your supports...I think mine will all have to be scratch built possibly out of foam but regardless, I want to see how you attach your bridges to the scenery!

My favorite bridge on the layout is this Walthers double track unit just out of East staging into Longhurst.
I combinid it with another Walthers kit, an underpass, and a double track abutment.
The scene is far from being finished tho...:rolleyes:

I knocked this one together a few months ago from parts in my scrap bin. It's the only scratch build I've done that actually turned out well.

P1010071.png

I even gave it working street lights.

P1010079.png

I figure I'll sink the angled bits on the edges into the banks a bit, like abutments build into the land.

Hi Ron: The bridge over Hammer Cr. used Chooch cut stone abutments and 1x4s, tapered, and covered with a thin mix of Structolite/Sculptamod.

P1040829.jpg

P1040828.jpg

Same abutments on bridge over Roaring Cr.

P1040830.jpg

P1040831.jpg

DJ.

Does anyone know of a source of just the trusses and the end plates for each truss to scratchbuild a bridge yourself? Im not sure what the terminoligy would be here.

Thanks for the photos so far everyone!

I have three bridges that will be on a mainline run that only need support on the ends and have been wondering what kind of base to put them on. I think you all answered my question.

Grampy, your photos always blow me away, SO realistic! Thank you very much! and I like the stone supports at the end of your bridge, I think I will try that.

CNCPRoadwarrior, how did you model that retaining wall? Is that a casting? Or a styrene wall? Or something else? I have one area I want a retaining wall and like the way yours looks.

Grampy's, Looks like one of the bridge supports needs to be straightened out. The next one down might need some adjusting also.
P1040828.png

Here's an oldy but still one of my favorites.
060408_007_2copy.jpg

The abutments are 20lb polyurathane foam cut and milled to shape. There is a styrene strip around the top to cap it.
060325.jpg

Holy smokes!!!! Nice photos just above....photoshop isn't just a click and paste, it takes care and artistry and a good eye. :)

First, my trestle with a Chessie Allegheny shaking the timbers:

IMG_5145csharr.png

Secondly, A Union Pacific 2-10-2 crossing the interchange bridge over the Seneca River.

IMG_4489csharadr.png

-Crandell

Scratchbuilt bridge by a fellow club member, and as I recall he said it was a "Baltimore truss" (he's into bridges). Showing "The Aaron Burr" on its way out of town, while the City Turn gets its work done:

giffe.jpg

I know everyone here has seen this, but it's the only bridge I have. It probably won't help you with the abutments since mine has none, but here it is anyway. It's an unfinished scene since I ran out of interest in this area. Some day I'll go back and finish it.

newlayout023-1.jpg

Christmas09067-1.png

newlayout003.png

Back