Show me your... snow shed!

@ShadowNix, the original poster:

=================

Sorry for the repeat publication/post up above, but I don't know how to remove the second one (I think they are the same). I grabbed a screenshot, and then double posted it somehow. Admin expertise certainly appreciated here.

In any case, I think you can appreciate the work and effort jrbarney put in compiling that list, and I hope it helps you if you dive further into the Snowsheds search. Or maybe just buy that kit and be done with it.

FWIW, the east end tunnel blower/fan building at my Moffat Tunnel is sometimes referred to as "the snowshed," which I have always assumed refers to that tunnel extension which comes out from the actual bore itself.

Just sayin'....

On a separate note, I did find this reference...I only remembered it when I found a few railway books I had downloaded from Google books a few years ago...try this book if you want cool structure ideas (here are the snowsheds from). The railway maintenance engineering book is one I downloaded years ago and a true treasure trove...for those that don't know about Google books, well, enjoy.

Brian

Attachments

• snowshed.jpg
    snowshed.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 62
  • snowshed2.jpg
    snowshed2.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 59
  • snowshed3.jpg
    snowshed3.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 60
On a separate note, I did find this reference...I only remembered it when I found a few railway books I had downloaded from Google books a few years ago...try this book if you want cool structure ideas (here are the snowsheds from). The railway maintenance engineering book is one I downloaded years ago and a true treasure trove...for those that don't know about Google books, well, enjoy.

Brian

The cross-sectional drawings you posted at the bottom there are pretty much the same thing you would find the the book I mentioned, so since you have these, you wouldn't need the book.

If you were building longer fall sheds, instead of just one shorter (presumably slide) shed, you would want a firebreak between them. The SP Norden sheds have that feature, so a fire in one doesn't burn down the next one, etc. I didn't remember that detail until I bought that book again, and it's just as cool to relearn something a second time as you do the first. IMO, anyway.

Re, the A-frames on top: I imagine you already know this, but in case not: The roof span increases in length where the shed covers a switch, but you have to find a way to hold it up from the top alone because you can't drop a support post underneath until the switch widens out enough to equal the track spacing (or something close enough). So you support the increasing length span with the A-frames. They start out small at the switch points, but get taller and wider at the frog, and then taller and wider still at the one end as the switch spreads further...but they disappear into a flat roof once again when a centerpost can put in to hold up the middle of the span from below.

Last edited:
Never thought of a firebreak, but that makes sense. Firebreak could be useful, since I have a section that I have to be able to remove for switch maintenance... hmmm. Thanks for the thoughts!

Back