Service yard rolling stock

RJasonB

ITS_MFRR est. 2010
Any suggestions for rolling stock likely to be found in a steam locomotive service yard? My layout is largely transition era with articulated steam. I have nearly completed construction on the ash pit, coaling tower, and sand tower. Service tracks are in place. I want to start looking for rolling stock, but I'm not sure what is appropriate. For the ash pit and coaling tower, I was thinking open top two-bay hoppers. Forty foot gondola for the sand house? Not sure.

Thanks! Jason in Colorado.

Retired wood box cars and baggage cars were often lifted off their trucks and set on the ground for use as tool and storage sheds. If you have the room for an extra track then a 250 ton crane and a flat car or crane tender flat would be fairly typical. A few piles of ties and a 55 gallon drum or two near the crane adds interest. A flat car with one of the Walthers EMD 567 engines on it either all cruddy as if recently pulled out or squeaky clean as a newly arrived unit.

Coal would be delivered in whatever type hoppers or drop bottom gons the railroad uses (gons on western roads, hoppers in the east). The hoppers could be twins, triple or quad depending on what the railroad uses.

Ashes could be loaded into hoppers or gons.

Sand could be in boxcars, hoppers, gons or covered hoppers depending on the era.

Fuel oil or diesel fuel in tank cars. Lube oil in drums on boxcars to the storeroom.

Boxcars to the storeroom.

Back