Seneca Ridge MS Afters School Train and RC Club

Thank you David.

Are we better off selling it a s lot, or individually? I was thinking of starting the bid around 5.99 per engine and hope for the best...is that reasonable?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

YOU will get more selling them individually, but you will find it a tiresome project to wrap them and mail them out to several individual buyers.

THAT sounds like a good starting point. I am not sure how well they will sell, but you are not out anything trying.

Not sure how experienced you are at selling them on ebay but make sure and accurately describe their condition and you will have no problems. Post several photos. Also, consider some damage may occur during shipping so if they arrive and don't work someone could object and it could come back to you. Most buyers are honest but there is a bad one in every batch.

Thanks for the heads up... I do sell some stuff on ebay but not train stuff. Most items we are selling are donated anyway so I am not looking to profit from it... we just thought we can raise some funds to try and buy what we need...

Just sharing... one of my student working on the layout... we are getting ambitious...
1c182533143142edb3d1ebc21ccae518.jpg

I was hoping someone can help us price these trains
The Inyo 4-4-0 steamer should bring between $30 (what I would pay) up to about $90 what some might pay. Especially the higher end if it has real brass steam and sand domes. They discontinued the real brass in the late 70s. The "True to Blueprint" box and foam insert for it would bring another $30.

Thank you... it took us three tries to actually get the concept laid down..it used to be a figure 8 but it took too much space away from where some of the buildings will be put in place... the risers were built from styrofoam but the hieght is not all the same so we are having issues with derails and uncoupling so we are 3d printing them instead...
a8f6733d2d184da1d8e80580500c18fb.jpg

2c16bee79bd8d07b4b161e5252d757f5.jpg
cd1e2481b7d551cf483a000cabd9fd15.jpg
473d78f3795a589f5274302e2bbbf4e3.jpg
e3ae9e7677aaacf651da0e98f5863720.jpg
c91178c0c9501e73ff381aac589d6d8f.jpg
a863ce2b9ded63f9dfe4e9581baecddf.jpg

Some progress of the layout. Right now we can run trains without much issues but it will need some cleaning after all is said and done... the second level is now much better aftwr we replaced the styrofoam with a sturdier 3d printed risers.

Aftet thanksgiving, our next goal is to lay some buildings and maybe a mountain tunnel...

Still debating if we should lay down some ballast...

If you have a piece of track you can make into a diorama to display a loco or short train on, that would make a good practice project for ballasting and scenery development.

I think adding some ballast would be a good idea. For one thing it helps hold the track really firm to the board. Also, it can really improve a scene.

Your design turned out really interesting and looks like fun to run trains on!!

Thanks. We tried running some Athearn streamlined passenger cars and it most often than not, we are encountering derails on random parts of the tracks. On the contrary, when we run hoppers, box cars, or any shorter load, we don't encounter much issues with derailing... could the issue be with the truck mounted horn couplers, the 18r curves? Or the wheels itself? The kids really wanted to run the passenger cars and gets disappointed everytime it causes problems...

Long cars and tight curves don't mix well and truck mounted couplers add to that unfortunately. Dips and dives in the track base will cause uncoupling issues with long cars, more than short ones as well. Think of it this way, if you had a metal watch band with only a few long links in it and another with many short links, which would fit around your wrist the best.

Gotcha... so I guess it's hopeless if all our curves are 18r??? Or should we try and change the coupler to a kadee and mount it on the underside? We have another set of con-cor streamline that we haven't tried but I am assuming it will yield the same results?

Gotcha... so I guess it's hopeless if all our curves are 18r??? Or should we try and change the coupler to a kadee and mount it on the underside? We have another set of con-cor streamline that we haven't tried but I am assuming it will yield the same results?

Body mounted would be best, if the cars are scale 85'ers, then you would also need Kadee long shank couplers to allow for the overhang of the coach ends around the curves. From the pictures of the Athearn cars (I've got the Walthers ones) they appear to be a bit shorter i.e. underscale, so that would help if they are. Here's the link to the most suitable long shank KD #5 whisker coupler and Gear Box, http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page146.htm The whisker type are easier to fit than the older ones that had separate, brass centering springs. You can also get these in overset (higher) and underset (lower) coupler heads to allow for height differences. Seeing there won't be any coupler boxes on the cars to fit them into, you will need to mount the Gear boxes to the car with screws or glue. I haven't had to do this myself. Maybe a question in the HO scale forum on this direct subject will find someone who can advise you more.

Back