See The Yosemite Valley RR! (Layout Tour)

I bookmarked this site fast! How come we never see work like this in MR or MRC? It always seems to be the same old guys when there are lots of folks out there creating some really nice stuff. I know, they could submit photos if they wanted, but one could say the same thing about newspapers. That's why they have reporters that go out and look for news.

Thanks everybody! I strive to write articles daily about a wide range of subjects. Why I chose "miniature" instead of "model" (Railroading) is due to the sheer physical size of the live steam I cover, at 5 tons a locomotive, they're not quite models, because they can perform useful work.

If you would like to request or submit an article, feel free to contact me via the website. :)

Miles;

I have admired Jack's work for years. I got to see one of his cars "up close", as he had one in the Prototype Modelers room, at the Eugene NMRA National, in 1987. Fantastic work! You can see detail that regular magazine pictures can't show!:D:D:D:D:D

I can appreciate the way he models. He does it the way I wish I could, but his skills are very much better than mine.

Does he still have the time set at 3:30pm on one day in August? One of his articles in MR or RMC made the comment he was modeling the YV down to the minute!

Carey, I think he's modeling a specific day still, but I didn't ask. A whole entire month would be more interesting, in my opinion. I don't think when he operates that he portrays the same day over and over, I think he does different op sessions.

It was a MR photograph that showed it on like August 15th at 3:30. I took a photo from the exact same location, just for fun.

Thanks Miles for bringing posting Jacks' YVRR on this site, he does some nice work alright and it's great to look back in time as his RR portrays. Your shots
and his work are giving me the nudge I need to get to work on my own layout again which will model an earlier time period but based on the C&S & the D&RGW.

We need more of these kinds of layout stories, as I remember Jack actual Layout is quite extensive and even has double decks to it, if it's still the same?

David, yes, it's a triple-decked layout actually. I was too interested in the two main decks to check what I think is the Yosemite Sugar Pine Lumber Co. scene. I had the same era-specific tug myself.

I like your operating scheme, as I have a very similar roster of locomotives, except that I don't have any shays.

Oh, I wanted to let you know that not everything has to be trussrods, but I agree that having most of your cars equipped with them would be nice. Don't forgrt fishbelly steel underframes, the l1920's era ink between trussrods and 1950's "U" channel underframes.

Please My site visit regularly, there will be plenty to see!

Back