SDN144PS Sound Decoder installed in a Kato SD70MAC

CP6027

I have been playing around with a Digitrax SDN144PS Sound Decoder. I figured since it came with a 8 ohm speaker, it might work fine for some HO installs with small 16 x 35 mm 8 ohm speakers. I haven't had any luck getting any volume out of the decoder. Also the sound that comes out is really crude for 2010. If you use cellophane style 28mm speakers that don't need much power it may work better.

Here is the video

At this point I wouldn't recommend it.

The stock sound files are horrible. However, Digitrax sound decoders are user-editable with a computer interface so you can program your own made-from-scratch sound files.

Also, by using speakers of different impedance than the decoder is rated for, it may also affect the volume,

Well I use a NCE PowerCab DCC system, so I doubt that would work with the PR3 programmer. Also these sound decoders are 8 bit samples and only three sounds at once. They have a great price point but in this case you get what you pay for.

Higher ohm speakers gave even less volume. I found a 16 x 35mm oval that was around 6 ohms and that gave me the most volume. It may be pushing the amp pretty hard. The manual says that the amp is 1 watt but I find that hard to believe. Maybe the sound samples are just too low in volume. The crossing horn sequence is twice as loud as the regular horn for instance. I know that their is a whole community that creates sound samples for these sound decoders, you would think Digitrax would use better stock files.

This sound decoder is designed for N scale and to be used with like 13mm and 10mm speakers. The motor output is 1 amp cont/ 2 amp peak so that part works fine for HO but I don't believe the sound amp has enough power to drive less efficient speakers.

Jerry

The pr2 and pr3 can be used as standalone programmers if hooked up to a computer.

Loksound is also user-editable and has a better bit sample rate.

Back