SDH164D - Decoder

DetroitConrail

I recently got back into model railroading. I have about 16 locos or switchers. 5 of them came with dcc so i'm very impressed with it. My problem comes with the others. I would like to put sound in to them since I'm putting in a decoder. All other sound decoders are to expensive for me. The sdh164d i can find for around 35. to 40 bucks. My question is what is wrong with this decoder that no one really likes using it. Just would like to know before i purchase 6 of them for my sd40-2 that i have

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently got back into model railroading. I have about 16 locos or switchers. 5 of them came with dcc so i'm very impressed with it. My problem comes with the others. I would like to put sound in to them since I'm putting in a decoder. All other sound decoders are to expensive for me. The sdh164d i can find for around 35. to 40 bucks. My question is what is wrong with this decoder that no one really likes using it. Just would like to know before i purchase 6 of them for my sd40-2 that i have

I had one in an Athearn RTR SW1500. A couple things I didnt like about it...
First, it comes with a big speaker (i forget the size) that is hard to mount in HO engines. Second, the decoder is not compatible with common 8 ohm speakers. Next, the decoder is very low power. For example, I found that while traveling at mid-speed, blowing the horn would cause the locomotive to momentarily slow down as long as the horn was blown. Releasing it would cause the loco to accelerate. Lastly, it is preloaded with either generic steam or diesel sounds(SD38 I believe). You can program it, but I dont have many digitrax decoders so never invested in their programmer.

Hope this helps,

Brad

I have also heard that their sound files are poor quality also. I was going to go with those till I investigated em n said no way. If Im gonna spend any money at all on sound, I want good quality (get what ya pay for) and so I went with Soundtraxx. I bought 2 loco`s from Atlas that were factory equipped with QSI sound and didnt even like those as expensive as they are and I just swapped 1 out for a soundtraxx the other day and the next one will be soon. Soundtraxx decoders can be had for $80 if ya look around and you will be more then satisfied with their quality in my opinion...I know I am cause I have bought 8 of their decoders in the last 3 months!!

Usual disclaimer - I am not affiliated with Soundtraxx in anyway except as a happy repeat customer.

The speakers that come with the sdh164d are not very good! I ordered a few 8ohm small oval speakers with enclosures(acculites.com) and installed them in a athrean BB was a perfect press fit in the rear. The sound quality was a ton better! It might not be soundtraxx quality but it is still a good buy! With some adjustments to the decoder and enough power to your layout blowing the horn and having the loco slow down can be corrected!

Thanks to all who have replied. But Buck71USA your the first person to say that, I will be picking your mind(if you don't mind) to see how you have solved that problem. I want to try it against the soundtraxx decoder i just installed. I will order a decoder and a speaker today. Ill get back to you when i get them.

I dont mind helping @ all! Will need some info on what system you are using and how you do your programming to help better! Like for me my system is a db200, db 150 and a dcs 200 and i use my pr3 to interface with my laptop and use decoder pro from jmri to do the programming!

right now i own a atlas master commander. I have a Nce Power cab on order right now. As far as the programing, a couple of friend on it for me.

The speakers that come with the sdh164d are not very good! I ordered a few 8ohm small oval speakers with enclosures(acculites.com) and installed them in a athrean BB was a perfect press fit in the rear. The sound quality was a ton better! It might not be soundtraxx quality but it is still a good buy! With some adjustments to the decoder and enough power to your layout blowing the horn and having the loco slow down can be corrected!

How is it fixable? I'm programming it on my staging track which is 1 piece of flex and when I do hit the horn, it slows. I've tried a bunch of settings... what should I be messing with to keep if from stopping when it's at a crawl? Even does it with the bell... have it ringing... then shut it off.. it speeds up.

How is it fixable? I'm programming it on my staging track which is 1 piece of flex and when I do hit the horn, it slows. I've tried a bunch of settings... what should I be messing with to keep if from stopping when it's at a crawl? Even does it with the bell... have it ringing... then shut it off.. it speeds up.

I dont have any advice as this was the same issue I had with this decoder. I think it is just a very low power decoder that it cant power share very well between functions and motion. It's another case in my opinion of you get what you pay for.

I would recommend that you install a second decoder for the motor only then MU the sound decoder to it.

I don't know if Digitrax still sells them, but they used to sell a sound only decoder called a soundbug. I have a couple of them in my fleet, in engines that already had DCC and ran good when I bought them.

sdh164d

I've installed two of the decoders in older athearn blue box f45's. The speakers will work well in the wide body locos. The sound will be better if you fit some etched metal fans or an etched metal grill to allow sound through. The cv's for the volume can be programed if you want more sound volume. The cv's can also be programed for more low medium and high speed power, this will minimize the slow down when using the different functions. Digitrax sells a narrow eight ohm speaker for the narrow body locos. You can upgrade the motors for newer motors that draw less power if your still having problems. Digitrax provides good instructions and has a web site for help and information. If you have a Digitrax programer you can download sound configurations and reprogram your decoder, I just use what they provide currently. I have new dcc with sound Athearn locos however I'll take an older blue box rebuild any day, even if it requires a lot of TLC. Start with a 1990's blue box with quiet trucks for a simple conversion. If you ruin a chip just send it to Digitrax and they will send you a replacement no questions asked within two weeks. GO FOR IT!

Digitrax sells a narrow eight ohm speaker for the narrow body locos.
The decoder itself comes with a 32 ohm speaker. So I can use a 8 ohm speaker instead? I don't think it's that bad of an issue... but like said, you get what you paid for. I do have a few Tsunami's coming in... I just felt Digitrax was a decent option for our secondary line of engines... and something for my 8yr old daughter to play with :)... who by the way, makes a killing at the train shows when buying. Hard to haggle with her cute little face.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back