SD9043Mac project

Thought id show the beginning stages of my UP SD9043MACs.

Still need to paint both of the chassis & trucks, and get accurate truck frames for them as ive got sd45-2's on there now. Still need handrails and grab irons installed along with glass. the side frames, handrails and grab irons will be smokey valley.

But this is all I have for now, was just getting them mocked up with the motors and driveshafts ect so they run.

Ill update as things progress, but since im short on money right now the detail parts will have to wait.

Also what is a (spray) paint thats readily available that matches UP grey?

DSC00482.jpg

thanks Mike

Floquil UP Harbor Mist Gray. It might not be an exact match for the RPP shells, but with some weathering you can make them look the same.

josh can ya get that in a rattle can or is it bottle only for air brushing? I might have to go to the local auto parts store and check the auto paint just to see if theres anything thing remotely close.

like you said weathering should help. Which these will get a light weather anyways.

thanks

Air Brush. You can buy a decent cheap air brush from Harbor freight then you won't be limited to rattle cans...

Are they Railpower Products? I bought a nice, completed one for $15 at the New Bern, NC train show, but it had 2 front trucks on it. Lemme know where you get yours from, I need to buy a set of dummy trucks for it...

Are they Railpower Products? I bought a nice, completed one for $15 at the New Bern, NC train show, but it had 2 front trucks on it. Lemme know where you get yours from, I need to buy a set of dummy trucks for it...

yes they are RPP. Nice price ya got those for. Smokey Valley offers the truck side frames,

heres the listing for them, these go on the non genesis style trucks.

Kit#145 EMD HTCR II Radial truck side frames As used on SD70
(after updating) SD75,SD80,SD90& other EMD SD engines. Fits Athearn 3
axle Dash 2 power trucks

Dunno how accurate the price is but it says $2.95 for them for a set of 4.

i've got the side frames... it's the trucks themselves that one won't sit right...

Hello,

Scalecoat 2 Harbour Mist Gray comes in an 8 ounce spray can and it covers very nicely if you want to try it. You can order it from Walthers or I have ordered it from Caboose hobbies.

Regards, Dave Dane

Just an update on this project just been working here and there when i get time.

So i got the genesis motor mounted in it and the shafts lengthend. Took a lil fab work to make it so i could use the screws to mount this motor in the frame since its ment for the old blue box rubber mounts.

DSC00494.jpg

DSC00495.jpg

DSC00496.jpg

Also i just heard from a source that athearn is gonna be releasing the SD90's in the genesis line. Wonder if ill get mine done before theirs comes out. Well actually I have 2 im doing but one i think will stay a dummy for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also i just heard from a source that athearn is gonna be releasing the SD90's in the genesis line. Wonder if ill get mine done before theirs comes out. Well actually I have 2 im doing but one i think will stay a dummy for now.
Finally. Maybe they'll do the SD80MAC's...

I wonder if the C32-8 or SD7/9's will be next?

i can't see why it would've been hard to do the SD90's or 80macs since they look nearly identicle to what the 70m-2 and ace's look like now.

well if for sure they are reissueing or even if they dont the sd90 some may know this but at one time i thought Athearn bought out RPP

I know iver heard it from a few people, so if they do bring it out thats what youll have is a rpp shell im sure.

i can't see why it would've been hard to do the SD90's or 80macs since they look nearly identicle to what the 70m-2 and ace's look like now.
Basic shape, yes, actually door count, detail, ect, NO! But in either case they have the RPP SD90/43MAC & SD90MAC molds, and the T55 SD70ACe project...

ok didnt know if they would just use the RPP mold or start there own.

Id love to have em but ill bet that start at $250.00. Ill stick with what im building lol. Right now ive got about $20.00 into the one im building even with the genesis motor.

Back