SD70 M2 comparison

Here is the real SD70 M2 verses Athearns Norfolk Southern. See any differences? Notice top of cab. Hand rails on snow plow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never could make head or tail of those new-fangled disease-els! While there are distinct differences between various prototypes and models of steam locomotives, a 2-10-2 is definitely distinguishable from a 2-8-2, etc. Of course it is fairly easy to tell an FT from an E-7...

The Pic of the Real unit is NS's New SD70ACes, the Pic of the model is the SD70M-2s that NS owns

Thanks for the correction. When I zoom in I can see the sd70ace decal on the side of the real locomotive. I thought NS used only the SD7M-2...my bad.

Here is Athearns CSX SD70 ACE. I am not complaining, just looking at differences. It does not have to be exact...just close enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, there are a few differences... for one thing, the cab they used on the NS SD70M-2s are actually the UP cabs.

Yes. On two of the numbers that Athearn did, the last 2 numbers on the cab are not the correct font. How they screwed that up is anyone's guess.

Yes. On two of the numbers that Athearn did, the last 2 numbers on the cab are not the correct font. How they screwed that up is anyone's guess.
Usually it seems that they find the closest matching default font on a computer. Back in day before computer graphics, they made the font for every model. :rolleyes:

I also wonder if you are leaning toward the difference in radio antenna between the model and prototype. The round one on the model is the same that BNSF and UP use. As the long one on the prototype, I am not familiar on NS, not sure if that is a new design they just started using or not.

Back