SD60M w/DCC&Sound

bigB

Anyone have any opinions on the quality of the Athearn Genesis SD60M/I with factory installed DCC & Sound? How is quality of the decoder, sound, and ease of programming?

Theres two versions, the one with the MRC decoder, and the other with the Soundtraxx Tsunami. The ones with the Soundtraxx Tsunami work great and don't have any issues.

The ones with the MRC decoders are a pain in the rear end.

The new releases with the Tsunami decoder come in a dark blue box. However, a run of the SD60Is and SD60Ms were released with the old Athearn Genesis yellow box.

Yeah id heard that. it seems the mrc decoders were poor quality and they actually recalled the engines. i guess ill have to shop very carefully.

On a side note, does anyone have any opinions about Intermountains' ES44 line? I am familiar to their high quality frieght cars, but know little about their locomotive line. Ive seen their website and saw one link here on the forum, but how many of you have good experiences with Intermountain engines? I know its due out in April '10.

The MRC decodered engines were not recalled, they were discontinued. The recalled engines were the NS SD60I/Ms. They had incorrect nose striping. They were recalled but never re-released.

Intermountain has only made one locomotive so far, the U18B which kept getting pushed back, and had mixed reviews.

The Genesis SD60M/I are very nicely detailed and run well. I'd avoid the MRC sound and go for the Tsunami.

Intermountain also has a line of F/FP units. I have several FP's and they are very nicely done. Nice detail and run well. Not as good as the Athearn Genesis F units, but a nice model none-the-less.

I'm sure the ES44's will be well done, but maybe not as detailed as the T55 models.

Intermountain made the shells which fit on Stewart and Athearn frames. Intermountain may have offered them at one point with the frame, but they only made the shells themselves.

I would also avoid anything with MRC decoders....I own a Genesis SD45-2. It came sound equipped with a MRC decoder which was nothing but problems right out of the box....it's since been ripped out and replaced with a Tsunami...no problems anymore.:D

The IM GEVOs will come with Soundtraxx Tsunami's custom recorded from a GEVO-12 engine. It will have the 3rd generation GE sound we've been looking for, but will not be accurate for GE's with FDL16's. Its been said they are making just for the manufacturer, but later will produce decoders with the GEVO-12 project on it for seperate purchase.

The IM GEVOs will come with Soundtraxx Tsunami's custom recorded from a GEVO-12 engine. It will have the 3rd generation GE sound we've been looking for, but will not be accurate for GE's with FDL16's. Its been said they are making just for the manufacturer, but later will produce decoders with the GEVO-12 project on it for seperate purchase.

Little confused...are you saying that the Gevo's that are going to be produced by IM are accurate for the roadnames they have announced? Who has the -12 and who has the FDL16?

Thanks

Back