Scratch Built & Kit Bashed

Here is one of my latest scratch built/kit bashed. Actually it is more scratch than kit bashed. I'd say 90% scratch. Opinions and/or improvements are welcomed.
Thanks for looking,
D.A.

O Scale Building Fishing Shack 1.jpgO Scale Building Fishing Shack 2.jpgO Scale Building Fishing Shack 3.jpgO Scale Fishing Shack 4.jpg

Very nice. What scale is it? The detail on the figure almost makes me think it is O scale.

From the DairyStatePhone

Talk about "compression". That is definitely a fishing "hole". I really like it. Nice little scene. As I get older I'm finding myself getting drawn back to O scale. Much better for my old eyes and fingers.

Steve

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Steve, Many years ago, I used to build HO buildings, but as you said, I think they're for younger eyes.

Stoker, This Fishing Shack could be used in a O, On3 or On30. It's basically 1" equals 4 feet. Yep, that row boat in a 'puddle' is about right! Actually, I steamed wooden sticks until they were pliable enough to bend to make the bow. After the wood dried, it kept its shape without breaking. I appreciate the link to making corrugated tin. That's a great idea.

I've attached 1 more pic that shows the 'catch of the day' on cleaning table. I carved the knife from wood, and made the fish from clay.

D.A.
GoneFishin4.jpg

If you buy a piece of Evergreen styrene corrugated roofing in the appropiate scale, you can do the same thing that Stoker shows. I use aluminum foil and it works very well. It's also a nice thickness to work with.

Steve

Very nice work. I like how the scene works stand alone or could be plopped down onto a layout. Nice detail and good use of color.

Steve, I'll have to try that with some heavy duty cooking alum. foil. It seems the heavy duty foil is not as thick as it used to be; of course nothing is made as good as in years past. My Daddy had a 1953 Buick, and it was like a Sherman tank. When I was a young kid, I use to walk all over it and use the windshield as a sliding board.

Stoker, I just got rid of several old computers. I could have sprayed the IDE cables and used them directly! LOL

Gary, thanks for the compliments. I get carried away sometimes with details; sometimes too much candy for a dime. I try to color coordinate; it's probably the artist in me that wants to match my colors. Also, I try to make my structures where they will stand alone or fit in with a group.

All week I've been working on a 1930s-40s Texaco Service Station. Hopefully within a few days, I'll have some pics of it to post.

Thanks again,
D.A.

I love old gas stations. I know where there are several around my area. No longer used as gas stations. I've photographed them so I can use them as inspiration.

Steve

Steve & Sirfoldalot, I certainly appreciate the compliments. :D Steve, I like the ring on the shades too. When I was a kid, I remember seeing old and almost crispy paper shades in gas stations and stores. They had yellowed and almost turned brown with age, and extremely fragile. I thought I was going to get punished one time for accidentally putting my finger through one; when in reality the shade was an accident looking to happen. LOL

D.A.

Window shades with the little ring pulls were everywhere when I was young. I still think they're better than the stupid slat shade things that everybody uses now. Layouts are truly a time machine for us old guys. They represent our memories and the things we liked.

I agree 100%! Sometimes when I'm making signs, I think about how 12 cents would feed me all afternoon. I'd walk to the local neighborhood store (back when young kids could actually walk somewhere alone without fear) and I could get a bottle of Pepsi or Coke for a nickel, a bag of Potato Chips for a nickel, 2 Jacks Cookies for a penny, and either a piece of Bazooka bubble gun or fireball for a penny. I generally went for the Bazooka cause it had a tattoo in it. Remember those?

Penny candy. There's a long gone memory. A 3 Muskateers bar, or a Milky Way, or a Snickers, all were a nickle. The big bars (and they were really BIG) were 7 cents. Of course money was really hard to come by. So many things are still so fresh and clear in my memory of those times. Maybe our models are our "way back machines". No matter what, they scratch an itch.

Steve

I agree 100%! Sometimes when I'm making signs, I think about how 12 cents would feed me all afternoon. I'd walk to the local neighborhood store (back when young kids could actually walk somewhere alone without fear) and I could get a bottle of Pepsi or Coke for a nickel, a bag of Potato Chips for a nickel, 2 Jacks Cookies for a penny, and either a piece of Bazooka bubble gun or fireball for a penny. I generally went for the Bazooka cause it had a tattoo in it. Remember those?

Talk about scratching and itch! We had a neighborhood store that I walked to constantly. For 10cents I would always get a coke, and 10 Jacks oatmeal cookies, as they were 2 for a penny. Then I would drink the coke on the way home, after bringing an empty bottle to exchange for the full one so I could walk back home with the full one, and I would then spend the rest of the day savoring those cookies. The sidewalks, such as they were, were really dirt paths, and the streets were unpaved. In summer that meant just a pair of shorts, no shirt or shoes. There wasn't any air conditioning then so that was a way you tried to keep cool.

Back