Scrapline SD-7/9

CNR Glen

I had a couple basket case Proto 2000 SD-7's and I made 1 good one. But I didn't have enough parts left over to make a decent looking second engine:
P2KSD-7.png

What I have now is a chassis, drivetrain, missing the running gear in one truck, Shell (cracked) and most of the detail parts. What is missing are the headlamps, fans and some small parts. I've decided to make a scrapline engine out of it, piecing it together as best (and cheaply) as I can. The first thing to tackle was the crack in the shell which was an easy fix with ACC and body putty. Finding fans was more of a challenge. I needed to do this cheap (did I mention that before?) so I went rooting through my junk drawer and old bachman F-7 had all the fans I needed. I just needed to cut them out and sand them thin:
2009_12190036.png

Whenth thinned and somewhat rounded I glued them in place on the SD shell.
2009_12190059.png

They aren't perfect but again this engine will be sitting on a scrap line in my junkyard so any faults will be heavily weathered over.

I haven't decided on the paint scheme yet, mostly because I don't know who all owned these things without the dynamic brake. I do know that Norfolk Western and Great Northern had them but one is an eastern road and the other has a paint scheme that's too complicated for me to bother with.

If it's to be a scrap line engine that's waiting to be torn apart it would be ok for it to have missing parts, wouldn't it?

Too bad you can't at least make it a dummy. It looks too good to be on a scrapline. As Duane said, most useable parts were stripped off before it got to the scrapline. The fan0 housings would probably be intact but the prime mover, hood and cab doors, headlights, and a bunch of other things would be missing.

Well to be honest I didn't know what else to do with it. I model Canadian roads so it doesn't really fit my locale but it does fit my era.
Most engines that I've seen on scraplines are pretty intact with just minor parts taken. When the engine is scraped, that's when the recycling for spares takes place.I'm thinking of making this into an engine that's just arrived for scraping, still (but barely) running with lots of oil seepage out of the louvres and rust running along the sheet metal seams. Maybe a broken window or so.

cut the turbo hatch off. Then no one will know whether the engine was turbo or not. they have to take the turbo hatch off anyway to take the prime mover out.

Maybe cut some doors out as well and stick in a prime mover from Walthers.
Here's one I did up with a loco that was not up to snuff.

pardon my ignorance, but what is the turbo hatch?

The turbo hatch is the hatch on top of the locomotive which houses the turbo fan. It's called the turbo hatch but has nothing to do with the turbocharger (if it had one). The fan is for the dynamic brakes (to dissipate the heat generated)

Thanks for clearing that up. I am considering making it into a dummy, does anyone want the drivetrain? (motor, 1 driveshaft, circut board and anything else I don't need)

cut the turbo hatch off. Then no one will know whether the engine was turbo or not. they have to take the turbo hatch off anyway to take the prime mover out.

Uhh...the SD7's didn't have a turbo anything they were all normally aspirated 567's. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "turbofan" those are the correct term for commercial jet airliner engines, not for anything railroad related.

Those four fans along the rear of the unit are for the horizontally mounted radiator. There's no dynamic brakes equipped on this unit either.

Glen, I think it's fine the way it is..perhaps poke some athearn sancions into their mounting holes, without the wire going through them, sometimes they'd remove the handrail and keep the upright sancions, especially when they were removing parts from the locomotive.

Maybe cut some doors out as well and stick in a prime mover from Walthers.
Here's one I did up with a loco that was not up to snuff.

Thanks for the idea! I've been wondering what to do with an el-cheapo lifelike GP38 thats been on my "scrapline" for a while.

Thanks for everyone's input. I do have the original handrails for the engine as well, mostly I'm just missing some grab irons and pilot details so It's pretty complete. I spent the day attaching couplers to the body since the couple mounts were broken off the frame (before I got it). My plan now is to piant it in CNR green and carry on from there.

I started painting the engine today. I sprayed the entire shell with 3 coats of floquil rust
2009_12230050.png

My plan is to paint the cnr green onto it in one coat, decal and then wet sand certain areas to bring the undercoat of rusy back out in certain places, such as the roof corners and down the sides.

I'll be interested to see how that process works out. I've always thought about the idea of a rust primer, painting the normal colors, and then doing some sanding down to the primer to simulate rust coming through the paint. Since I've thought about for around 40 years but never done it, I'll let you be the experimenter. :)

I airbrushed the green two days ago.I think I'll wait at least until the weekend before I try sanding the scrap piece of styrene down. Now that I think about it I should have attempted the experiment on a scrap shell instead.

Well it's been awhile since I contributed to this thread but I'm trying to wrap up several projects before starting any new ones. Over the past couple weeks I finished, painted, decaled and weathered the engine. I decided not to make it a scrapline diesel but instead a hard-working veteran of the rails.
pics027.png

I used CN Sig olive green by Scalecoat and microscale decals. The yellow stripes on the sides were airbrushed instead of decals because the decals broke apart when they were applied
pics028.png

As it was a basket-case to begin with it was missing a couple grabs and some of the handrails were broken. I repaired them with some brass wire and replaced the missing grabs with some detail associates parts. The lights and number boards were also missing so I used ailene's tacky glue to form new parts in the empty sockets.

pics026.png

I added the plows and MU hoses on the ends, partly because the pilots were missing, partly because it makes the engine looklike it means business.
pics025.png

I weathered it with my airbrush. I first sprayed grimy black on the trucks, fuel tanks, walkways, plows ect. Then I used steam-power black on the roof to simulate diesel soot. I sprayed it a bit more that I do other engines since I wanted a heavier weathered engine. lastly I used poly-s dirt to highlight the trucks, plows walkways and other lower parts of the engine.
pics034.png

Instead of scraping/sanding the paint down to reveal the rust primer, why not put a piece of tape over the second coat while it is half-dry and carefully pull? Then, maybe you can get a random rust pattern?

Back