Scale Trains - SD40T-2 Tunnel Motors - Video

Bought it as DCC ready. Installed an ESU sound decoder. Just haven't connected the speakers yet.
I did see mention, I think on an FB page that it's possible to separate the top and bottom halves of the chassis (if it's the same as their ES44AC's) to access the speak/s enclosure, so as to not have to de-wire anything. The top section lays on it's side.

No, these models have a compartment for the sugar cube speakers embedded into the body weights. Ya have to remove the shell then remove the screws that hold the weights in place then partially remove the weights and invert them to get access to the compartment. Wires have to be run from the speakers back up through the weights then soldered to the ESU board if there aren't speakers already wired. The speaker compartment faces downward just ahead of the rear trucks and in front of the rear screens for the air chamber.

I have a Scale Trains locomotive on my "Buy List" when I go to Trainfest in Milwaukee in several weeks. I'll purchase a sound equipped to avoid opening the locomotive's shell in any manner.

Hope to find a Milwaukee or SOO locomotive.

Greg

I have a Scale Trains locomotive on my "Buy List" when I go to Trainfest in Milwaukee in several weeks. I'll purchase a sound equipped to avoid opening the locomotive's shell in any manner.

Greg
And, on a scale of 1-100, with 100 being the very best advice possible and the option that should only apply to a Scale Trains purchase, when sound is required. 100 it is. Alternatives?. Don't even think about it.

Ok, the train video is up there in the original post slot with the whole train. Enjoy, but I have the real models here running laps on the empire while I work on the bridge canyon support structure.
My new compressor arrived today. I'm still waiting on the Tru Color Grimy Black paint to arrive.
While I was working on the benchwork for the canyon, I was taking a break and looking into the room where the model bridge was on the stack on plastic containers. I noticed the forest of 2X4s standing up against the wall behind it. I looked around in the room and there are several pieces of other building material standing upright along the walls, just waiting for the opportunity to fall over and swat the bridge. Gotta think about this. If I don't move the wood, they might fall over and smack the bridge. If I do try to move them, I might have an incident were I loose control of one and, ah, you know the rest.
Which should I do? Maybe I should create a poll on this topic.

Let me clear your mind ...If it were my decision to make- I would re-locate the bridge and leave the material be!

Well now. If there's a danger of them falling over, damaging something on the way down and coming to rest on the floor, help them out. Put them down on the floor now. Of course you could trip over them there and do the damage yourself with a hand, arm or shoulder, but that would be your fault then.
Just thought I'd help out in your decision making task.

No, these models have a compartment for the sugar cube speakers embedded into the body weights. Ya have to remove the shell then remove the screws that hold the weights in place then partially remove the weights and invert them to get access to the compartment. Wires have to be run from the speakers back up through the weights then soldered to the ESU board if there aren't speakers already wired. The speaker compartment faces downward just ahead of the rear trucks and in front of the rear screens for the air chamber.
Would have been good if they had supplied a coil of wires already in place, eh?

Greg
Jetco's Hiawatha Hobbies will have them. My son just bought a rivet counter SD-40-2 in Milwaukee Road from them. Nice model! Will you come to NAPM's open house?

Jetco's Hiawatha Hobbies will have them. My son just bought a rivet counter SD-40-2 in Milwaukee Road from them. Nice model! Will you come to NAPM's open house?
If you're using #5's on your other locos, you might like to get some for the Scale Trains loco. The have their own "scale" couplers, no trip pin. I've heard they don't mate as well to #5. I changed mine to the #158 Kadee scale couplers with the whisker springs to match my other locos. The #148 is the #5 whisker alternative.

Back