S-Curve in yard throat

ctclibby

Hi all!

I recently posted my layout, and from the suggestion(s) I have been busy changing my minimum radius to 30" which meant that I would have to rework the yard. Below is small segment of my tentative spagetti.

Looking at YK1 diverging to YK2 diverging there are two 30 degree curves with about a 4 inch track segment between which makes the s-curve in question. No passenger equipment through these switches. TOFC on the other hand could traverse it. No intentional uncoupling over the switches.

Do you forsee problems with the longer cars through the switches?

For background info; Curved switches are fast tracks 50/30, double-slip and the two others are #6. Thought here is that the main is not fouled, nor are the A/D tracks when the yard crew is doing their job.

Thoughts?

ctclibby

YardLead.jpg

It is a 'yard ladder' but with curved switches. Using #6 ( straight ) made the yard lead and ladder switches longer. I was just trying to scrunch it down as the shortest yard track is about 16 feet ( same as siding lengths ) and I was running out of space quick! I am still playing with it and will build another 'normal' yard lead just to compare again.

ctclibby

Last edited by a moderator:
It sure looks good to me, you shouldn't have any problems with long equipment. I like the use of the space.

It seems the two sets of turnouts/doubleslips are unnecessary/redundant. In my image you could remote the circled stuff replacing the one on the right with a normal right hand turnout and still have the same access to everything with less cost and complication.

yardlead.jpg

Yes, I thought that at first also.

The second set of doubleslips permits access to the A/D tracks from Main 1 while the switch crew is using the switch lead to move stuff in the yard. I believe that I stated that in my orginal post. If you have a better way that allows the access I want, I am all ears.

Cost is a factor. However, that said - this layout looks to have just under 100 switches so saving 2 ( 4 if you consider the other end's yard throat ) it is less than 8% of the turnout/turnout motor costing.

Complication is a factor and reducing this further would be good.

Consider a local switching crew. They will take the line-up out of the yard and not move stuff to the A/D tracks as this probably would be a short train of 4 to 10 cars. With the with first double-slip to the left, the local can traverse the switch lead double-slip and choose which ever main is not occupied, or proceed down the switch lead to handle the local industries on it; still without bothering a train from/to Main1 heading into or out of the A/D tracks. I suspect that the left most double-slip could be replaced with a right turnout as the double track main headed towards the left is only about 20 feet in length and if it was occupied the local would have to wait.

I am admittedly not very up on typical railroad operations, caring much more about model trains, but it seems sort of odd that a switching crew would be dragging trains out to the main. Would it be better to make YK1 a double-slip with a second switch lead parallel to the existing one?

This use of slip switches really isn't prototypical for freight yards; you only see them at passenger stations because urban real estate is very expensive. Also, the commercial ones I've seen are very ugly, with a lot of black plastic. You could build your own with all metal parts, but that's a major challenge and would take a long time. Can you really not do this with turnouts instead?

Ok, so problem is apparently solved. There is an agreement that the road switching crew can NOT make up their own trains and take them out from the yard. Road crews also can not bring trains into the yard proper and have to use the A/D tracks. The yard switching crew makes up trains; whether a local for switching or road train, and places them in/on the A/D tracks for the crew(s) to pick up. The yard switching crew also handles any industry switching off of either of the switch leads.

That got rid of two of the double-slips. Yard switching crew can still work when there is a train coming/going to/from the A/D tracks to either main.

As a note... Slip switches are used when space limits the placement of individual turnouts. This is one of those places as I do not have unlimited real estate to spread stuff out. Even though I am not using them here, double crossovers carry the same weight. If no room, use them, if room - two single crossovers will handle it.

Here is what the yard throat looks like now.

ctclibby

YardLead1.jpg

I think that's better. Less conflict with the main line tracks.

Personally I find it pecular that modelers won't use things like double slips or double crossovers just because 'they aren't prototypical'. Well, it's not prototypical to go around in circles for a quarter mile of track either, and that's what most of us are doing with our layouts. You do what you have to to make it fit. And besides, they're cool looking.

As for operating and reliability's sake, I would avoid too much yard work being drug out to the main line, and how many sets of points/frogs are installed on the main line, even on a model layout. And certainly if you have the space it's better to string those double cross overs and slip switches into normal turnouts, but few of us have that luxury.

I think you'll be happier with this latest revision, assuming your yard lead is long enough to accommodate a pair of modest sized locos and a decent string of cars. Even if the tail end of that track doubles as a servicing station or something, I think it needs to be good and long.

I think the last version looks good. Do you have an area your engines can run around a train? I'm guessing this is only a part of the yard.

Yes, dual ended yard with the other end pretty much the same layout. There will be steam facilities on one end, diesel on tother. There is also a house track at the bottom of the ladder ( not shown ) that permits movements around everything without using the yard, getting on the main, or A/D tracks.

Right now I am forging ahead on getting the main completed; lower level is almost complete and I suspect that the upper level will be in a day or so. Will post the plan for review when I get there.

ctclibby

Back