Rust?

V&AL

Fred's Loco Shop Foreman
What's good for getting that nasty, flaking rust look?

I wanna take this:
attachment.php

(departing Canada waybilled to Fred's Locomotive Shop)

and weather it to look kind of like this:
2138.1210851969.jpg

The front door will have been rusted off the hinge, the locomotive body will be falling apart, but the guts will be good and reliable enough for a local shortline...

Thanks!

Primer the whole locomotive with Rustoluem rusty metal primer, then mask the areas to show the rust, with sea salt (wet the car an place the sea salt on it, then allow to dry, the salt should stick), then proceed to paint the unit, after its complete, rub of the sea salt, to expose the rusty primer, then touch up with gouache, or acrylic artists paints.

Rubber cement works well as a mask as well.

Primer the whole locomotive with Rustoluem rusty metal primer, then mask the areas to show the rust, with sea salt (wet the car an place the sea salt on it, then allow to dry, the salt should stick), then proceed to paint the unit, after its complete, rub of the sea salt, to expose the rusty primer, then touch up with gouache, or acrylic artists paints.

Rubber cement works well as a mask as well.

BRILLIANT!! flash of teeth.:D

I use Sophisticated Finishes Rust Antiquing. You can get it at craft stores like Michaels. It's easy to use and produces very realistic flaking rust.

That being said, I'd really be reluctant to model this engine. It never looked this bad in Chessie service and really deteriorated when it was purchased by the Great Walton in 1999. By the time the above picture was taken, it had been acquired by a museum and it was really a junk pile in need of extensive renovation and rebuilding. Unless you want to keep a picture of the prototype next to your model, I think it will almost look like a parody of weathering.

There are probably 50 different techniques for this kind of weathering. Josh's method sounds good--I haven't tried that. I like to use a brush and artist's oil paints thinned with mineral spirits. Print out some prototype photos to look at while you're working. Note that "rust" is all different colors; old rust is sometimes a dark, gray-brown color, while fresh rust is more of a bright orange-brown. Rust streaks on paint can be a totally different color. Have fun, and be sure to show us the results!

I'm not going for a specific unit, I was using the above picture as a reference point. I've got a good source of real rust sitting in my yard, what's left of a retired 1987 Chevy Suburban ambulance.

I've been thinking about chipping off some rust and grinding it up to put in my base coat of paint to add some texture. Has anyone ever done that?

I just recently started to use the weathering powders being offered by several manufacturers. The powders can be brushed directly onto a flat surface, and then sealed with a matte sealer like Testors Dullcote. If you want to get a flaking effect, you can mix the powder with some dullcote in a small dish, and paint it onto the item with a small brush. Here is an example of the nice finish you can get.

I'm not going for a specific unit, I was using the above picture as a reference point. I've got a good source of real rust sitting in my yard, what's left of a retired 1987 Chevy Suburban ambulance.

I've been thinking about chipping off some rust and grinding it up to put in my base coat of paint to add some texture. Has anyone ever done that?

I've used steelwool. Home Depot has a lot of it in the paint department and it's so inexpensive. Keep sraying it with water and let it rust. It makes a nice powder for weathering.

nice! i like how you chewed up the bottom edge to make it look like the bottom is flaking away...

Back