Rural electrification

Charles Smiley

cspmovies
The cattle loading spur's barn, and the little cowboy camper trailer, now have electric lights.

BARN-EVENING-2S.jpg

Charles,

Your layout and the attention to detail you put into it is amazing ... As Toot'n said, the next thing you need to do is automate that level crossing ;)

Top Notch! The faded/worn look to the markings on the road and the tire tracks in the driveway. Excellent!

Thanks for the comments. BTW... the management decided to use a flagman at that crossing since it's a remote county road with minimal traffic. All the other roads have lighted crossings.

Looks very nice Charles . What did you do to dim down the camper light? I cant tell if you have some film over the windows or if you used a colored light but it , to me , looks a little yellow and not as bright as the barn .

Camper light is a little 2x3 mm surface mount LED in "warm white" color mounted in the ceiling.

I used a common 4700-Ohm external 1/4-watt resistor on my 12-VDC common supply to the LED. LEDs are great because if you greatly reduce the light output. it does not shift the resulting color into a reddish color. I rarely ever use regular incandescent lights (eg. Grain-of-Wheat" lights) for that reason -- among others.

Thanks for the comments. BTW... the management decided to use a flagman at that crossing since it's a remote county road with minimal traffic. All the other roads have lighted crossings.

That would actually be much more prototypical, so management made a good choice there :)

The house where I grew up was in a rural setting, and even on the fairly well-traveled UP mainline there the rural county roads just have crossbucks, nothing automated at all. Considering that, not much chance at all that a railroad would invest in an automated crossing not only in a remote rural area, but most especially when it's on a low-speed siding with infrequent traffic.

That would actually be much more prototypical, so management made a good choice there :)

The house where I grew up was in a rural setting, and even on the fairly well-traveled UP mainline there the rural county roads just have crossbucks, nothing automated at all. Considering that, not much chance at all that a railroad would invest in an automated crossing not only in a remote rural area, but most especially when it's on a low-speed siding with infrequent traffic.

And here was me thinking it was because the property owners served by the siding, wouldn't pay for it's electricity bill. :p

Thanks.

Floquil Rail Brown with an industrial grade of Q-Tips ( they don't unravel as easily). Wood stain in dark walnut would work as well. Color the wood before gluing and building. Use Yellow carpenter's glue.

Back