Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put up the Halloween display. The lady that sits next to me at work and I made this from some vintage GI Joes, a Play Mobile and a dinosaur found on the beach. The trouble with short arms.... I hope the dinosaur likes Crunch bars!

thumbnail_IMG_1039 (1).jpg

Also seen is our kitchen, nearing the end of a remodel. I repainted the cabinets and had new countertops, sink, backsplash and floor installed. I don't know that they got anything right on the first try or without me asking them to fix something. One mistake is in the backsplash, even with dino's nose. I talked to one of the guys later and he said they usually do commercial work and didn't know why [the boss] took this job. I took that to mean in commercial you can sort of do a crap job because no one cares. They were good about fixing things when I asked and in the end it looks pretty good. I think I'm cured of having other people do work on the house though. I have worked in commercial and residential construction and know generally how things should be so I can do it, I just don't really want to.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1039.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1039.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 134
Was this like prohibition….I thought liquor restrictions were like the roaring thirties had no idea they went on so late. How about wine in church
Alcohol sales to this day are still hit or miss in Texas. Distilled spirits by the bottle cannot be sold on Sunday statewide, but beer and wine can be. There's still areas where alcohol sales are prohibited, a glaring example is in Dallas where only two of four precincts can sell alcohol, about half of the city. In my area, the nearby towns all voted wet in 2012, so I only have to drive 6 miles to the nearest store. They charge like they're the closest place, so I purchase mine when I go on the grocery trek to a large city. Prior to 2012, I had to drive 22 miles each way.

I don't recall "the garbage can" bit? enlighten me, please!
I've never liked Atlanta ever since they left Milwaukee. I won't even go into the fact of the Ted Turner/Jane Fonda ownership - and finally that of the rivalry of the Cardinals -- I don't even care for their football team either (how's that!)
Houston was stealing signs. They would communicate the signs to the batter by banging on a trash can, once for a fastball, twice for a curve and so on.
Upset they left Milwaukee... I respect that and I like passionate fans.
Ted and Jane, i hadn't thought of them in years... why did you have to remind me? Henry Louis Aaron tops them! He still holds the RBI, Extra bases and total bases all-time records. Three Gold Gloves, Two Batting Titles. He averaged over 20 stolen bases for 10 seasons and a lifetime 305 batting average! He is still the homerun king in my book, 755 homeruns and he never hit more than 47 in a single season. If not the best player ever, certainly the most consistent.
My favorite thing about Hank, in an interview he was asked "how do you want to be remembered?" His answer "as a good man". I shared that with every player I coached. The world needs more people like Hank. Humble, outstanding performer and person.
I grew up hearing stories of the Gas House Gang, the Cardinals have always been one of my favorite teams because of those stories. Earl Weaver learned professional base ball during his time in the Cardinals organization.
I enjoy rivalries, I usually like both teams.
The Falcons had some great players, Tommy Nobis and Claude Humphrey come to mind. They were fun to watch.

A few MRL pics courtesy of the Montana Rail Link Railfan Society's Face Book page from the eastern side of Bozeman Pass.

Climbing away from Livingston
1635640659276.png

Boeing fuselages
1635640922629.png

A closeup showing the Icicle breakers
1635641045657.png

And approaching the tunnel portal
1635641174934.png

Afternoon All,

Cool here today which is nice. Did some chores first then spent a couple of hours trying to hookup the lights in the mine. I connected the 3 boards together and the interior lights work. When I tried attaching the goose neck lamps nothing worked. I tried swapping leads on the board and still didn't work. I removed the exterior lights and they work like they should (when tested). Of course the interior lights didn't work since I had cut gaps in the tape for the exterior lights. I decided to solder jumpers to get the interiors working which they do now. I also cracked a side wall trying to drill through it. All in all a pretty crappy MRR day.

The lights (4 on large boards and 2 on the small one) and the current limiters (microlumnia) are on the bottom of the boards.

I have to decide if I remove the light boards and wire everything separately, or leave the boards in and wire exterior lights separately, or don't have exterior lighting. My next time in the train room will probably be next Saturday.

Christian- Congrats on your railroad.

Ken- Congrats on your pay raise.

Willie- Nice looking bus station.

Guy- Interesting hopper.

Joe- Great photos.

Lee- It should be a fun project. What gets milled with that setup?

View attachment 134667

View attachment 134668

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks Curt. It will be Cob Corn I plan on having it sitting next to a Corn Crib while a guy shovels it in

Good evening .

thanks everybody for your thoughts and prayers regarding my situation.
it was on October 19 when my heart stopped beating two times. It was a very rough week in the hospital. I came home two nights ago, and I have been totally wiped out . I am on oxygen continuously.

I don’t know when I will get back to model trains or when I can contribute here regularly.

I am trying to keep a sense of humor and I will leave you with this one. They poked so many needles in me in the hospital that I am considering dressing up to be a porcupine for Halloween.

Good night.

You know the sad part is all teams steal signs. If they get a runner on second, and he is there for a while, all teams change their signs.
They surely do.

I feel Dusty Baker has restored the Astros honor.

"It's only cheating if you get caught" I can't remember who said that. But it is a disgusting thing.

"Just win baby" Al Davis 😐

"Death before dishonor" predates the Marine Corp. Teutonic Knights, The Samurai, Napoleon's Elite Guard or possibly Julius Caesar, who can say for sure where it came from. It is something to live up to. Some TV and movies of my youth tried. Even Superman "Truth, Justice and the American way".

Honesty, integrity and decency don't seem to be as important as they once were, at least from my perspective.

Now back to the ball game. I wanted to see how far Greinke could go!

Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 45.
As I briefly mentioned Friday, I may be unwillingly changing careers. I'll know more on Wednesday, but the dealership I've worked for for well over a decade has been sold. HR for the new company is supposed to arrive Wednesday for us to fill out applications for continued employment with the new company. I've been through this several times over the years, and it has never ended well for the employees of the company being taken over.
We'll see if the trend continues.
One of the employees quit on the spot when he was told what was happening, and another one turned in his notice at the same time.

Well, Howdy There internet cafe peeps

It's Troy again.

Terry... ugh. That sux. But, maybe the old screw-you-over boss will get moved on away from you.

For those of you waiting to see if I survived shopping with the wife, I did.

Our first stop was a local orchard. We purchased about 25 lbs or so of apples:

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 6.49.22 AM.png

Wife says we need to visit her sister and get a couple more slow cookers.

More on that later...

I also picked up something for me:

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 6.49.42 AM.png

I love honey in my coffee, and locally sourced raw honey with lots of local pollen in it should help me avoid the worst of the hayfever next year. Need my body to get used to local pollens. Perhaps that will also help clear up the fluid in one sinus that muffles one ear?

Also stopped at the half-price book store. Going to work on a Leyte Gulf scenario for my WWII Air game. So I picked up some reading matierial:

Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 6.57.10 AM.png

Got my p51s on order. Need to get some Kates, Judies, and Zeros.

Greetings all,

Boy, take a couple days off and you got two hours reading to do!!

Was feeling down. Played golf with my friend up north. He suffered a stroke 14 months ago. Was tough on me to see how degraded he is. But the good news he was out and wanted to play and could play some. But maybe you know what I mean. It was tough. Continuing to improve with PT.

Picked up eldest daughter and had her over to watch a movie and dinner. She opted for steaks on the grill. Twist my arm! We watched on e of her favorites, "The Conjuring," and then started another, but ended up talking instead. She left for her home about 11 and I took a long shower and turned on a lighter movie during which I fell asleep and awoke at 0230! Off to bed for real.

went for breakfast at the VFW post and then had a work event most of the afternoon. Came home and did a few things about the house, and then same daughter texted she was on her way over again! Had a nice chit-chat and threw her out about 9 as I do try to get an early bed Sat. nights.

Now up and getting ready for the SUnday. Wife gets home about 5 tonight and has requested salmon! Will be good to see her again. I need to mulch the leaves in the back yard and do a few other chores. Golf may be over for the year as we are getting some hard freezes this week. Down into the teens a couple nights and next Friday showing a high of 44. But that means that I switch my Fridays off from golf to layout work, right?

Thanks for the read/listen - - - - - Steve J

Good morning. It's mostly cloudy and 45.
As I briefly mentioned Friday, I may be unwillingly changing careers. I'll know more on Wednesday, but the dealership I've worked for for well over a decade has been sold. HR for the new company is supposed to arrive Wednesday for us to fill out applications for continued employment with the new company. I've been through this several times over the years, and it has never ended well for the employees of the company being taken over.
We'll see if the trend continues.
One of the employees quit on the spot when he was told what was happening, and another one turned in his notice at the same time.
That's how businesses keep costs under control. Either get rehired at a lower salary or wage or ya don't get rehired. Sorry to hear that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back