Running Bear's October 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all! That early rain storm Willie got made all the way to H-Town. Now the sun is shining and looks like a good day.

I am busting at the seams with joy. I had my follow-up appointment with my doctor for Wellness check. It is official, I'm NO LONGER DIABETIC. I have kept my A1C below 5.7 for 2 and half years. My doctor visits are now once a year rather than twice a year. It has been a long road, but well worth it. I lost enough weight to get my BMI in the normal range. It appears that as long as I keep my BMI normal my A1C stays within range. The secret, "if it's white don't eat it" White bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, white flour goods, etc.

I did get in a little train time yesterday, doing a little switching.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good Morning all! That early rain storm Willie got made all the way to H-Town. Now the sun is shining and looks like a good day.

I am busting at the seams with joy. I had my follow-up appointment with my doctor for Wellness check. It is official, I'm NO LONGER DIABETIC. I have kept my A1C below 5.7 for 2 and half years. My doctor visits are now once a year rather than twice a year. It has been a long road, but well worth it. I lost enough weight to get my BMI in the normal range. It appears that as long as I keep my BMI normal my A1C stays within range. The secret, "if it's white don't eat it" White bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, white flour goods, etc.

STAY SAFE

LATER
Congrats Hughie

non diabetics don’t understand what a tremendous achievement you have accomplished.

TomO

I am back from dodging the raindrops. The 9am grocery curbside delivery was a complete mess. Didn’t received but weren’t billed either for almost 50% of the list. When Terry gave me a list of the missing items I headed off to that store. I spoke to the floor manager at the store and asked why the Aisles on line group didn’t fill the order. Many items weren’t on the unloaded trucks last night and much of the 5am staff this morning did not show up. She said the last month has been real trying.

So off to store #2 to find the still missing items. Got another 10% of the missing items. I spoke to the front end service manager and she said we are doing starting pay of 17.50 per hour. The 1st shift starts at 5 and the only folks applying are she feels are 60 and up and only want to work a few hours to cover their health insurance. Enough time to unload trucks but not stock the shelves. They had 3 local high school graduates in June apply for jobs and they hired all 3.

Off to store 3 locally owned by a family that only has 2 stores. Got everything left on the list except my Diet Dr Pepper in 16.9oz. bottles. The place was very full at 11:15. No one was loading the shelves as they were full. Said hi to the owner Carl but he was working a cash register. All groceries are taken to your vehicle by staff and put in the back seat or trunk and no tipping allowed. Much higher prices then the 2 chain stores I was at earlier but they had what Terry wanted to finish off the list. If anything they were over staffed. I know from the local newspaper this store hires mostly disadvantaged or challenged staff and while it takes more time to train, once hired they generally stay. The difference in the 3 stores shelves though was very drastic.

oh well to the train room because it is raining very hard right now
TomO

Have been reading some 60's 'Trains' Mags.
Was the 'Wisconsin Central' a forerunner of the SOO?
Sherrel not a fire runner but a follow up. There was a Wisconsin Central in the early 1900’s that I believe became part of the Soo.

The modern WC came after Soo took over front the bankrupt Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin and other Midwest states. The Soo after a few years sold off portions of Wisconsin lines to what became the Wisconsin Central Ltd. RR. It turned into a very successful SERVICE orientated RR that became the darling of the RailRoad business. Then WC had a terrible very costly derailment in Weyawega Wisconsin that basically took out the downtown area. They purchased railroads in Great Britain and Australia, draining cash reserves just prior to the derailment event. CN in 10/2001 got a great buy on excellent rebuilt trackage right through the heart of Wisconsin from Superior to the Chicago area. CN has since destroyed the service aspect of the WC.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day picking up a rental (insurance) for the wife while her car is in for repair. The adjuster called and the exterior damage is around $3200 but the engine damage is unknown. Based on receiving parts the projected finish time is 10/29 if everything goes right...figure the odds. After that we went out to Dad's to do a few things then came home.

Hughie- Great news.👍

Christian- Congrats on the approval.

Sherrel- Cool video. Was that a bicentennial paint scheme.

James- Interesting MOW equipment.

Patrick- Nice start to the build. In my experience when I have a TO issue in about 90% of the time the TO is not level.

Willie- Rita's is real nice.

Dennis- The ride looks like fun.

This is what I did yesterday.

20211011_094238.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Just hook a mouse to it. You can use a USB mouse (maybe you need an adapter depending on which Macbook you have) or you can use a Bluetooth mouse.

Yes you can transfer files from Windows to Macs
numbers and pages for your finance and word but you can add the old Microsoft software if you want but costs you.when you struggle ask the question here so us Mac people can see if we can help you.

Good afternoon. Today is still mostly overcast, but a little warmer and a little brighter than yesterday. I still elected not to set the saw up as the sky appears threatening. Instead we went to the local BJ's warehouse to replenish our hoard of groceries and paper goods. :rolleyes:

Dennis: Your photos were very enjoyable. Obviously, you enjoyed your ride. We have not been up to Chunk since the wife's grandmother passed, about 12 years ago. Not sure, but I believe the abandoned tunnel was part of the Lehigh, New England RR. Which shared the logo of it's owner and primary customer, the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Co.

Curt:
Too bad about the wife's car. Hopefully repairs will be completed and there is no lingering problem. Your parking area and access road over the tracks looks good. Do I detect a built in crown for the road?

Dinner is on the table, so I gotta go!

They serve beer in this cafe place? I need four.

I've had a hell of a week, fellas. And I mean that in a good way. My mainstay club seems to be thriving, again. We have an area which was meant to be a massive locomotive servicing terminal which has sat almost entirely empty for the last 15 years.

Layout plans can be hard to come by, as they're either on paper or on very old computer software. And since our longtime president passed, we only have those two options to know the track plan.

I'm happy to say we have fought with the elderly software and prevailed. One of the young new guys has been studying the track plan and took it upon himself to tackle laying track for the service terminal. In addition, two other members are working with modern, cutting edge methods to make a new, Big Boy capable turntable for this spot. That includes a new roundhouse, too, which I hear may be a custom laser-cut wood building.
IMG_20211011_210327.jpg
I'm happy on all fronts. I went from worrying about our survival to over the moon lately. I've been the only one brave enough to mess with the layout, and now I'm no longer alone. On top of that, our member count is rising again and our custom rolling stock is getting out on the layout and getting used! I even found another painted, but not lettered, custom club loco that's on my bench right now. I've also started learning some of our electrical features, specifically the goofy touch-contact turnout throws.
Plus I got some fricken awesome photos yesterday during our open house session. I'll drop those in my Showin' Off thread later.

For now, here's my newest most valuable piece of railroading. I couldn't find a Milwaukee one, so the best of the Hill lines will do.

NPMug.jpg

Last edited:
Howdy ...... Just checking in. I had a busy day for sure. It's too late to talk about it.

I do want to take time to congratulate Hughie with his good news. That is wonderful .

Hopefully. I have time tomorrow to catch up with your posts. Lots of good stuff here.

Happy Model Railroading.

Good morning Everybody!

I woke up in time to watch Camilo Doval and the Giants close out the Dodgers to go up 2 games to 1 in the NLDS.
Doval threw a 101mph fastball, later an almost unhittable 86mph slider, amazing! I'm not familiar with this young man, I don't know if he will be available tonight after pitching 2 innings. But it was a cool night, he is young and it's the playoffs!
The Dodgers have been shutout in both of their losses. With their in season additions they have to be close to a $250 million payroll. "Good pitching beats big money" 😁
I may be in the minority, but I have enjoyed this season with pitching having the upper hand.
My baby birds have a lot of live arms! All they have to do is learn to pitch and stay healthy. As Brooklyn fans use to say, "wait till next year!"

Break time is over,
Have a great day Everybody!

Well howdy there internet Cafe dwellers

It's Troy again.

Been up since 3 am.

My arm hurts

Got the covid 3rd Shot yesterday. Calling it that since even Dr. Paul Offit, one of the advisory board members who recommends (sometimes not recommends) EUAs on Vaccines and such to the CDC, is torn on whether it's best called a "third dose" or "booster" (he leans toward third dose).

I'm late 50s with Chronic Asthma. So my doc said I was in the recommended pool for one, but he'd not insist I get a third shot. However, it came recommended by him.

I've been spending time watching docs interview other docs on some of the science pods I follow, Including interviews with Dr. Offit. The science is trickling in on how effective a third shot is. After hearing from the gents (and a lady doc)... yes, a third shot seems to be helpful. But no one knows (yet) just how helpful. Dr. Offit is of the "probably help some, but we don't know...". Other docs interviewed on the same pod were of the Other vaccines with multiple doses are spaced at 3-ish months or longer. A dose months down the road may probably be beneficial in the same way as those.

Since I'm a few weeks away from travelling to Vegas to hang out with up to 2000 of my author buddies, and the wife has us scheduled on a cruise in early Feb, a third dose seems prudent. Your milage may vary. Talk to your own doc.

On the hobby front: Trying to get some of my gaming models caught up. Way too many projects get started with great intentions, then get sidelined. Napoleon's Grand Armee wants to take the field.

Train wise: After shortening my layout, I'm stalled in the "how to plan that end" phase. Roughly 30-ish percent (max 50) percent can be reconfigured since track isn't down yet. I don't mind trashing some foam risers to get the track plan I want. But, I'm not sure what I want. One of those paralysis by open spaces and unfinished planning schemes.

STAY SAFE

LATER
Congratulations! I've bee Diabetic for 8 years now and on insulin. I'd love to not be diabetic anymore, but fear there's little hope for that. I got my A1C down to 6.3 at one point, but it's been climbing back up since then.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back