Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
93429687_10157662422459081_8802087744286228480_n.jpg

Oh, that's great! Reminds me of bath-night one night with my two younger brothers. I was older and wiser...uh huh. Or at least a wise[r] guy,
I think I was nine, and they were both seven.
We three were sitting together in the bathtub, side-by-side-by side...and I was insisting that, not only did the (US Navy) have a "Blue Angels" fighter jet flight demonstration team, ...but they also had the........................
........................................"Blue Angels Submarines. :D" At least partly believable if you've ever seen a US Navy nuclear boat concluding an "emergency surface routine" on a maximum up angle from a deep depth: The boat can come out of the water at a very steep up angle*. It's very dramatic...and sometimes it's fun tweaking your brother's naivety. I'm so bad....

[* There is just such an event in the film "The Hunt For Red October."]

1669803096993.png

Even more dramatic was a test with the Pickerel:

Attachments

• 1669802829880.png
    1669802829880.png
    491.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Good morning, Everybody.

Another misfortune for our family. We lost my second cousin, Bruce. He was only forty-four, he was more like a nephew to me. His girlfriend woke in the morning to find he was cold. No details as to cause of death yet, not that it matters much. Bruce was a good-hearted soul. You would not find many more likable than Bruce. We had a long talk with his mom yesterday.

The over 22% increase in sales for Black Friday and Cyber Monday (numbers not yet in) has Amazon crazy busy. This has resulted in Amazon drastically increasing rates for contractors like us. Money is a good motivator, and the exercise won't hurt me. Amazon has removed the 8 hour/day cap for contractors. We won't take advantage of the longer days. We normally take 4–5-hour work. Now we are doing two 4-hour routes. That amounts to about 5-6 hours total of actual work.

I'm taking a break this morning. Later we will work a few hours before the rain and stop for the day. We slow down on our work from home this time of year. Amazon always gets busy this time of year. I will keep my usual slow pace. Bad things can happen when I push too hard.

I had this synthetic oil delivered yesterday from Amazon of course.
1669796875539.png

I hope it works good for my trains. I had been using Liquid Bearings synthetic oil. This oil was close to the same price for 4 times more oil. I hope I won't regret it. I can always use it for my Whal haircutting machine. I still have some liquid bearings.

That is all for now.

God Bless Us Everyone.

This is the new place. Be sure to ask about Mel's Pumpkin Spice Surprise.
Good morning, Everybody.

Another misfortune for our family. We lost my second cousin, Bruce. He was only forty-four, he was more like a nephew to me. His girlfriend woke in the morning to find he was cold. No details as to cause of death yet, not that it matters much. Bruce was a good-hearted soul. You would not find many more likable than Bruce. We had a long talk with his mom yesterday.

The over 22% increase in sales for Black Friday and Cyber Monday (numbers not yet in) has Amazon crazy busy. This has resulted in Amazon drastically increasing rates for contractors like us. Money is a good motivator, and the exercise won't hurt me. Amazon has removed the 8 hour/day cap for contractors. We won't take advantage of the longer days. We normally take 4–5-hour work. Now we are doing two 4-hour routes. That amounts to about 5-6 hours total of actual work.

I'm taking a break this morning. Later we will work a few hours before the rain and stop for the day. We slow down on our work from home this time of year. Amazon always gets busy this time of year. I will keep my usual slow pace. Bad things can happen when I push too hard.

I had this synthetic oil delivered yesterday from Amazon of course.
View attachment 156905
I hope it works good for my trains. I had been using Liquid Bearings synthetic oil. This oil was close to the same price for 4 times more oil. I hope I won't regret it. I can always use it for my Whal haircutting machine. I still have some liquid bearings.

That is all for now.

God Bless Us Everyone.

(Off topic)
Hi Brunette, (Yes, I'm the same old Trussrod-David using a new facade as I had to re-register, long story.)

My Condolences regarding your Mom's passing as well as your sister too, that's rough. I just got on the forum yesterday and somehow saw your post about loosing your Mom. (?)

Hey! Welcome back David. I have missed you and the great conversations that we all had with you. Hopefully you can stick around with us for a while. By the way, how's that pesky roof of yours doing?

Hi Willie, Thank you for the very warm welcome back. I've really missed talking with you and others on here too. l'm also anxious to see what you have been doing on your layout as you had built some great structures and scenes.

I'm going to try and see if I can't stick around now for awhile as I resolved a couple of issues in my favor but others have surfaced in the process but fortunately nothing extremely serious.

My pesky roof issue, is troublesome as I've lost the leg/hip flexibility I used to have to have to climb the ladder to do repairs and that frustrates me as I don't like a leaky roof, which I could usually resolve.

I've been trying to think of a solution that would aide me to get up and down from the roof easily like a Scissors Lift but the only place that I found that had them was HDepot and they were way too expensive !

The only other thought I had was to purchase a half-height-step extension ladder, if they're available?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated !!

Where there's a Will, there's a Way !!

Last edited:
Good morning Crew from the wetness of So. Central Wisconsin. It’s 22f degrees feels like +7 and it rained last nightthat remaining working weather station is showing 2.46” total. It really came down around 5 that the TV guy said surprised him too. I can’t image it not being icy out there. Since I have had enough ice troubles this season already, I am staying in the house. Rehab starts at 7:15, but today in the pool. The knee is sore but not as bad as Monday.

I will wrap a couple presents I purchased yesterday. Terry is not sure (again this year) if she wants the big tree up. I always win that discussion but I might agree with her this year. If that happens though, the tree goes to St. Vincent DePaul who will accept it. I usually put it up the weekend after T-Giving.

My morning hour today at the bench is going to be shaping some trees.

enjoy the day

Good morning all,

it is a chilly 15° with a strong west wind, out of the west that is. Much easier commute than yesterday afternoon,

TomO - almost 2.5 inches of rain? WOW.

Trussrod - Welcome back!

The workbench is very clean, just set out the cows to place, thought I would share a pic, the black canisters have different types of fine ground cover graded sand

IMG_2908.JPG

That is the layout just above the bench, pretty convenient and compact, I only have this one bedroom for everything and want it to be mostly uncluttered

Here is my Bachmann combine at the Wyoming depot. I would like more realistic trucks however because of where the trusses are the passenger ones don't work, so have these old metal bettendorfs I believe

IMG_2909.JPG

honestly speaking, there are lots of pics of NP 328 pulling some freight cars and one passenger car.

more later, Dave LASM

Hi Willie, Thank you for the very warm welcome back. I've really missed talking with you and others on here too. I also anxious to see what you have been doing on your layout as you had built some great structures and scenes.

I'm going to try and see if I can't stick around now for awhile as I resolved a couple of issues in my favor but others have surfaced in the process but fortunately nothing extremely serious fortunately.

My pesky roof issue, is troublesome as I've lost the leg/hip flexibility I used to have to have to climb the ladder to do repairs and that frustrates me as I don't like a leaky roof, which I could usually resolve.

I've been trying to think of a solution that would aide me to get up and down from the roof easily like a Scissors Lift but the only place that I found that had them was Home Depot and they were way too expensive !

The only other thought I had was to purchase a half-height-step extension ladder, if they're available ?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated !!
Hi
You could perhaps hire a cherry picker to help solve the mobility issue you have.

While busy searching for something entirely different I came across this, not sure if anyone would be interested, but thought I'd put it out anyway.

I think I might get one for my diorama 🤔

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 30°, yes the temperature dropped by 50° in less than 12 hours. Mixed weather for the next few days, low-50's today and tomorrow, 75° on Friday and then jumping back and forth between the two for the next week. Might rain on Sunday, but the weathermen don't really know. No more freezes in the 10 day outlook.

Taking advantage of yesterday's weather, I split wood and gathered up fallen leaves for composting. As planned, I spent a little time on tool maintenance, sharpening the edges on all of my garden tools and pruning instruments. Didn't get to the new chainsaw blade yet; the only reason that it's a hassle is because it's a really dirty job...right up there with changing brake shoes on a vehicle.

Thanks for all of the likes, reactions and comments regarding the layout update yesterday.

No layout progress yesterday since the weather was too nice outside, that will come today.
Meanwhile here are some random pictures of the layout. First is a shot that I took in 2012, one of the earliest "action" scenes that I did on the layout. Young girls giving their dogs a bath while the neighbors "guard donkey" looks on.
12-22-12 014.JPG

Some businesses in Charlottesville.
IMG_7331.JPG

A block of businesses from Downtown Deco, a Hydrocal structure.
05-02-18 015 (2).JPG

Ken (D&J) - Hope that you get a few more operators interested in your operating session. If you weren't 1300 miles away, I would come by. Your layout lends itself to large operating sessions.
Jeff - Still not tired of turkey leftovers here yet. Saturday was turkey and dressing, Monday was turkey enchiladas, tonight or tomorrow I'll pull the last bag from the freezer and make turkey quesadillas, with mushrooms, bacon, onions and cheese.
Kudos on your efforts to help those in need.
Dennis - Around here, paid sick days for blue-collar workers is rarely a benefit. Most companies will let you substitute a vacation day if missing the hours will put one in a bind, if you still have vacation days to burn. Since I was salaried, I had 31 vacation/sick days a year. Now all workers get what is now referred to as PTO, Paid Time Off, that can be used as vacation or sick days.
Troy - Good news here, as my wife doesn't think that I am contagious any more. Bad news is that I have resumed handling raw veggies and clean dishes. Did the bad weather pass south of you? Have a safe trip this weekend.
Patrick - Good to read that your knee is feeling better. It will be 100% by the time vacation is over.
Hughie - Yep! Even up here Christmas Day in the 80's is not unheard of.
Snowman - Interesting pictures of the subs. Must have been unnerving to have been aboard.
David - Even though I am still physically able to get on the roof, my wife doesn't want me up there any more. So I hire a young contractor dude to do it for me. I mainly need him to help me get the chimney swept.

Everybody have a wonderful Wednesday.

Troy - Good news here, as my wife doesn't think that I am contagious any more. Bad news is that I have resumed handling raw veggies and clean dishes. Did the bad weather pass south of you? Have a safe trip this weekend.
Looks like the rotation slid it under and east of us as it climbed. We had some light freezing rain. I had to leave both grills uncovered last evening (to cool down). But neither was coated with ice this morning.

Since we leave on Friday, NE Indiana should get a blizzard or ice storm while we're out two of the three times we've gone on a cruise in December, a nasty winter storm has come through.

who can buy a couple of freight cars priced like that. Yes they are great and super detailed. Why do we have merely pensionados enjoying our hobby?
I see this question all the time. The answer is: I can. 😉 It's also because they are what most hobbyists want. We pushed the market there. We have younger guys in the club that turn up with these cars all the time, so it's not just the more successful of us. It's also worthy of note that many of these freight car runs sell out proving that there is substantial demand for them. Of course, you don't have to spend that much. There are plenty of lower priced offerings out there. Athearn has three tiers for example with their Roundhouse line being very cost effective. There is also nice stuff from Bachmann, and if you like swap meets there are literally tons of unbuilt "new old stock" or estate Athearn blue box kits at pretty much every train show I ever went to. Like any hobby, there are multiple price points for those with different sized wallets. :) One quick question: Pensionados? I thought maybe you meant pensioners, but I googled the word, and it means: Philippine students studying abroad whose expenses are paid by the government. Never met one of those!

Too political to get into the details but the workers have the right to strike yet the government will step in to stop it
The staffing model corporate is going for equates the human resource to a machine that does not need maintenance or greasing. At least that is what it sounds like.

There are many, many wealthy investors I would be happy to see in jail. The enablers to inhuman work hours and conditions. Unfortunately, they seem to be running the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back