Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a tv an appliance? Anyway, I bought an LG 55" flat screen when I moved into this house, only because I couldn't find what I wanted in a Samsung. That's been 8 years ago....it's still working good......

LG is a big conglomerate. The TV part probably has nothing to do with the appliance part except the name (and some parent corporation owning both at some level). Samsung is the same way.

In our house we avoid the Korean makers of we can, as my wife is from Japan (though of Korean extraction) and Korea is being stupid lately when it comes to relations with Japan. So nothing to do with the products themselves (and I was looking at the LG washers/dryers again since we've had good luck with ours, until the subject came up here again).

Guy: Ice already thick enough for fishing? I haven't ice fished since moving to Kansas in the mid-70's as the ice never really gets thick enough for long enough to be able to walk on it safely. Come to think of it, I haven't gone fishing in the past 22+ years, although I do have all of Dad's old equipment. Been in my garage for the past 4 years since he gave it to me. He's not able to go anymore and the small apartment he and mom are in doesn't have enough space to store it.

This is interesting, when it comes to the appliance reliability lists. Yale is a large, well known, and respected dealer and service center in the Boston area. This is based on their experiences.

Good Morning Everyone....maybe a record high temperature for November today.

On the computer until lunch and then down to the trains. Left over pizza from yesterday.

After seeing Riogrande's hand drawn track plan....I may do an attempt to do one for my layout as an as built. I have experience doing landscape designs, but now my equipment is limited to a straight edge and a circle template. His plan looks great!

Not much to report today.

Maybe I'll be back later.....

Go-Pack-Go

Greg

#####################

Good morning. 42 degrees to start off the day with a few more mild days before the deep freeze moves in.

Willie - That is an excellent job on the feed store. Looks fantastic. There is only one shop locally that will repair LG appliances up here. None of the opther shops will touch them. I happen to have know the owned for over 30 years and he recommends staying away from LG appliances also. He calls them garbage, and recommends Frigidaire, Maytag and Whirlpool and a few others. When he tried to repair the LG dishwasher a few years ago with LG not know what the problem was and just throwing parts at it we sent it off to the dump after putting over $300 into it and replaced it with a Maytag. (Made in the USA) He also recommended staying away from Samsung appliances, also made in Korea. They engineer the appliances just good enough to get by. The parts are cheap. Way have a Kenmore Washer and Dryer that we bought from a friend that had to move out of town around 35 years ago. All I have done to them is replace the heating element in the dryer twice. An inexpensive part and a 15 minute job to replace. We had thought about replacing them but with what we've seen lately with new appliances we are keeping them until something fatal happens to them.

I am not a fan of Facebook but did go on to locate my brother because I lost his phone number when my cell phone crapped out. There is a page for LG appliances horror stories. Something else to read through. Their customer service suck TomO. Heard other stories like your daughters there.

McLeod
- Like the proto photos and the figures.

More archive photos.

20181013_135216.jpg
20181028_162709.jpg
20181111_161520.jpg
20181111_161620.jpg
20181111_161804.jpg
20181111_161953.jpg
20181111_162030.jpg
20181111_162132.jpg
20181111_162205.jpg

Later

5:53 this morning! I think I am going to fast forward the clock an hour and see if the pups still wake me when it gets near showing 6AM.

It was rather warm at 92* yesterday (forgot to load the degree sign - don't shoot me) - supposed to be 95* today - and this Saturday and Sunday a forecast of 25-30% chance of some real honest to goodness rainfall! I will not be holding my breath.

Argg! SWMBO just paged me = back in a while?

Any consumer commodity will eventually have problems.

The wife and I made the mistake of buying a first generation Maytag Neptune and after all the problems we had in the first 5 years (yes we were part of the large lawsuit that eventually killed Maytag) vowed to never buy another Maytag appliance. The only people who mad eout on that deal were the lawyers. But we needed a new dryer recently as our 9 year old Whirlpool needed a new control board. Cheapest price on the control board I could find was more than a new dryer, we bought a new Whirlpool made Maytag. Electric brownouts did the board in.

Still on tap AFAIC, are a new refrigerator, the old one is a 22 year old Whirlpool made Kenmore and a 20+ year old Hotpoint range. All I've ever done to the refrigerator is about every 4-5 years, I have to put a new water valve for the refrigerator. About $35 and take about 10 minutes to replace. The range was in the house when we bought it, and I know it has issues, but still cooks food, so no replacement yet.

Good morning, y'all. It was 49° with a dense fog when I got up this morning. I had a sesame bagel and a coffee , then showered and dressed. We were at the gas pumps at Costco at 0910. $2.00.9/gallon. down our way, (20 miles distant), the cheapest is $ 2.17.9...Not for nothing, there is nothing here to justify the higher price point. Most retailers near costco are around $2.05 Cash, $2.15 credit....another rip off. To paraphrase Blondie, One way or another Jersey's gonna get ya!!! In any event, we spent $300, on Staples, personal care, food and toys. (Christmas is coming,eh?). I'm running out of storage space, but... if Terry's friend Murphy has his way, he will shut the state down again like last march...I'll be able to ride out the shortages. Ultimately, we will use everything so...

Later today, I plan on taking advantage of the sunny, mild afternoon to get rid of some of the accumulated storm debris, load up the truck so I can make an early run to the dump tomorrow. After that...energy level permitting, I will continue the "improvements" to the layout.

That's just a few of the reasons that our taxes are low, less government. And a lot of oil revenue from state owned lands.

Willie: Oil revenue helps alot, but when there is less pie to divide, money goes further.
My old fire department covers a still densely populated urban area with a ladder truck and two engine companies. They just got a grant to allow the hiring of 8 additional firefighters to bring these companies back to full strength. They just replaced a piece of equipment purchased in 1993, with a new truck...they bought a Demo, at a decent price from Seagrave. They learn to do more with less...
The local fire district, here in Howell, owns enough equipment (that rarely if ever is used) each with every bell and whistle possible...More equipment than the City of Bayone...Money is no object...It's Jersey.

Those ******* manufacturers keep on coming out with stuff that I never even knew I needed...
Ken: How 'bout that? I have been quietly buying up one or two of each issue, as I have a need for Tank cars, for Acid, LPG, Caustic Soda, Chlorine, Lead, Lube Oil and Kaolin Slurry. Between Tangent, BLI, Intermountain and Atlas, I pretty much have been able to retire all the oversized Blue Box tanks I initially planned on using. Received a B&O - Chessie Tangent Caboose for a birthday gift....Hope he slows down....I consider myself lucky, that the lines I'm modeling didn't offer Flex-i-flo service. Those cars are nice and required personal restraint...

Got off reasonably with a plumber fee of only $160!

Willie: Good price. Our local water utility offers insurance to "protect" us homeowners from similar problems. for a small monthly fee, added to our monthly water bill. Annualized premium is $156.00.....I'll take my chances at those prices.

These pictures show the structure before detailing and before I put the roof ridge and rooftop sign on.

Willie: Looks great.

We too were dropped by an insurance company after filing a claim

Willie: The Insurance Industry is the least regulated industry in the nation...they spend a lot of money in state capitals, to insure that they can punish you for having the audacity to submit a claim. When my employer provided health insurance - administered by a major player in the health insurance field...reached the level where I had fulfilled my annual family deductible, each Explanation of Benefits Statement contained an admonition about the severe consequences of "Insurance Fraud". Think they got it wrong. The Insurance carriers are the ones guilty of fraud.

No TV or online news apps are residing on my IPad. I have started to relax.

Tom O: I hear you..there is no need for the media to be so involved in formenting unrest and stress. Just report the facts, not speculation, cut the drama, and keep your opinions to yourself. remember the movie "Network"? Prophetic. I avoid watching and limit my sources reading. Not worth it.

I believe my next photo-op will be at the out-of-town staging area. I would would like to give that cartoon-cop some heavy exercise; get him out of that fancy new cruiser. He has made me angry enough to make him work for everything he wants to steal from the innocent people.

Lee: That Special Agent really got under your skin... The high quality of your photos was worth it. I know that there are a lot of "reasons" for his actions, but a summons? Way too much in my opinion. Reminds me of PRR Police Sgt. Fiorio, back when I was a kid. He would constantly chase us from a lot we used to play ball, because it was adjacent to railroad property...just because he could. Never once did he detain us or write a summons. Weird thing was he worked night and day, because he would show up at any time.

New Squirt 81 first use 11-4-2020.jpg

This is the new Squirt 81, a Seagrave with 35' squirt. Not officially in service, it was brought in to the scent of a auto salvage yard fire involving 40 vehicles. Master streams were used to knock down the fire. It was a good test of the new truck.

Guy: Ice already thick enough for fishing?
Patrick - I'm hoping the ice is thick enough. Should be. As a safety measure, though, I'll send the wife out first, to test it! - Kidding, of course.

Went down to the bridge this morning, and just about captured the photo I've been trying to get. A full freight coming over that bridge in the sunlight. Perhaps I waited a bit too long to push that shudder, but, I'm close:
11-05-2020 - (1).jpg

Would have been nice if the moon was lower in the sky. It is what it is, though.

GUY -- I was going to comment on your earlier photo, but this one's even better. Far as I am concerned - it's perfect - just the right amount of loco emerging.

Patrick beat me to the "thickness of the ice"? I did not realize that it had been that cold there at this time ... WOW!

JOE - Outstanding clarity and composure with that "big blue" Conrail loco!
P.S. I love tank cars - especially those of that era, not nowadays.

WILLIE - That is an outstanding structure. I may just have to build one of those - even though I have no layout! Super job!

Afternoon All,

Spent around 5 hours doing track work today.

Sherrel- Nice rural photo.

Patrick- I wish your daughter and family all the best.

Greg- That's the way to do it.

Joe- Nice picture. I had to look up what a geometry train was.

Garry- I hope you're doing OK.

Willie- Nice job on the build. You are indeed lucky with the timing of the leak.

Guy- Nice pictures of the CN and your detail parts.

Chet- Great pictures.

20201105_150118.jpg

20201105_150142.jpg

20201105_150653.jpg

20201105_150745.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 52*F, calm, clear and dark in my locale.

Thank you all for the "likes" and/or comments on my previous post - Hughie, Phil, Willie, Patrick, Jerry, Tom-C, Gary (with one 'r'), Guy, Tom-O, Karl, and Sherrell!

Don't have any images in my "library" that dovetail with any of the ongoing discussions tonight, sorry about that!

Joe -

LOL, a B&O roster probably would use up a few years' worth of your allocated hobby funds [ask me how I know].

Those ******* manufacturers keep on coming out with stuff that I never even knew I needed...like these:
https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/general-american-8000-gallon-1917-design-radial-course-tank-car/
This is one of the few models I've seen that was still in interchange service during the early 1970's, and has a dome that more closely resembles what I've seen in prototype photos. A serpentine voice whispered "Hey, a pair of these would look great sitting on the fuel receiving track of your loco terminal...this may be your last chance to get 'em!" Next thing I knew there was an email in my Inbox from Tangent, confirming my order of two of the GATX "1936+ Lease" tank cars, #13912 and #13925. Too late now, the deed is done...:oops:
That Serpentine fellow sure gets around, don't he.

Hey Shop Dwellers, it's 52*F, clear and calm in my backyard.

Thanks everyone for like's, hoho's, and comments on my post from Wednesday -
Hughie, Tom-C, Sherrell, Phil, Karl, Patrick, Jerry, James, Guy, Gary (with one 'r'), Chad, Tom-O, Joe.

Just a quick check-in for tonight, I'm somewhat exhausted from both my distance walking regimen and rearranging furniture afterward; I may have actually burned-off as many calories as I ate today!

Those Tangent tank cars [in yesterday's post] became available at a very inconvenient time for me; I was ready to invest in a portable spray booth, now that purchase needs to be postponed...again! Fact is, I've never been totally satisfied with the two 8000 gallon tank cars I already have, I just bought them because there weren't any better ones available at reasonable prices during the time I was searching a few years ago. At least now that deficiency will be corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back