Running Bear's Mid-June Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, Everybody!
1688105884973.png

A classic!

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those still in the red zone for tree smoke,

It's Troy again, breathing easier for once...
357533741_6395526190514501_200617169662894958_n.jpg

From the looks of the AQ app, I might get to breathe easier today. Yesterday I hit the rescue inhaler twice. And twice the day before. So my sleep cycle was all screwed last night.

Fall asleep - wide awake 2 hours later.... half an hour-ish later back to sleep. Wide awake two hours later.

At least I could check my Apple watch and see the downward progression of the AQ rating. Finally hit the green zone around 5 am. We had weather move in yesterday, and it pushed the smoke North-Easternly.

Just like Chad, I use the Apple watch as an extension of my phone. But, I was also in professions where TIME was critical. I'm one of those who has it ingrained in my psyche that if I'm not 5 minutes early, then I'm late. So I do check the time throughout the day. Part of the autistic side of me. There are certain things I do at certain times. I need to know the time.

Finished re-wording the words. Only found one plot flaw. The book is off with the Alpha-Strike Team looking for other character mismatches and flaws I might have missed. Monday morning it goes to the editor. Which means I need to start plotting out the next book. She'll take about 2 weeks to get it back to me.

I'm off for a walk outside once I finish this cup of coffee. Then a shower, and off for groceries.

Oh, and the plumbers are coming out this afternoon. Think I mentioned this before: the drain on the bathtub in my bath is running really slow. It's a 50-year-old brass fitting with a spring-compression stopper built into the drain pipe. Lift the lever. I can't get the darn thing out through the overflow pipe. And I'm tired of doing the baking soda and boiling water trick every two weeks. So the drain assembly is getting replaced with plastic and one of the popup stoppers in the tub.

Good morning gang from the land of yellow-gray skies!

65° degrees with an AQI of 176, yech! As soon as I walked out of the house this morning she smell of smoke hit me in the face. Should be really lovely when the temps hit 87° later.

Tomorrow I have to notch more homesote and I plan on doing it early. The neighbors are going to have to deal with table saw noise from my backyard. Later I'm going to sandblast some tractor parts for the Cub. The compressor is noisy too!! They gonna love me!! LOL!

OH well, w*rk beckons,

BBL

Good morning to the modelers, travelers, smoke haze number reporters and time keepers. Great pictures, trains, ships and lawns. It is partly why I enjoy the diner so much. For the 1st time since I have been back home the smoke haze numbers on the 2 weather apps I use are very different. But, no matter, we have breatheable air again.
IMG_0475.png
IMG_0474.png

I can’t see the time the higher number of air quality was taken, but I don’t think that’s an updated number. I mean, I can see the sun! Still the day will be hot and humid. The high should hit 90f degrees with little breeze and the humidity is already at 81%. But, I can sit on the south deck or front porch today.

Not exactly sure what I will get done today and what comes, comes. One of the guys texted this morning about going to get the MOW pictures I still want for the UP. Reminded him after I looked that today is Friday. Nobody in their right mind drives through the WIsconsin Dells, (tourist trap USA) on a Friday in the Summer. Maybe, next Tuesday. We are thinking about the BNSF in the LaCrosse area and crashing an op session over in that area today

enjoy the day

8:09 edit. Said no to the LaCrosse area today. I am currently enjoying the south deck

Last edited:
57f drgrees to start and looking for 90f today - yesterday 86f was the high and tomorrow is promised at 93f ... summer is finally arriving. All this happens under clear bright sunny skies and tomorrow we start a whole new "rainy season" JULY 1st to JUNE 30th if you really care! I have never figured out why that a simple, annual calendar is not used?

Hi there FLO - just coffee for the moment. Spousal Unit has informed me that she has an inop toilet in the downstairs bath - so that is first on the list for today; then I have to set up a new to me (open box) TV from Best Buy - a 43 inch TCL/RoKU for $177 which I thought was a good deal. I could not accomplish getting it to accept our UTUBE-TV sign in. I tried several times and then after becoming POed I gave up, but will try again this morning. This goes in the master BR ... I need to be able to hid out when I have to wake up every damn day between 3 and 5AM ... when the daughter and boys from Okinawa occupy the remainder of the upstairs. I like to check on the local weather, new, some sports, and see who is mad at whom to start the day and catch an occasional BB game.

I'll be back later!

Good Morning All. Clear and 78° leading into what is supposed to be the last day of our triple-digit heat dome! Forecast is for 100°. The thunderstorms originally in the forecast for tomorrow, were moved to Sunday in yesterday's forecast; today they have been moved to Monday.Probably won't happen at all! AQI today starts at 38, heat advisory continues.

Yesterday's grocery trek went as planned. I also went to Home Depot and got out spending less than $10, quite unusual! Gasoline has dropped a few cents to $3.19/gal in many places although I still saw a few places posting $3.35. There wasn't as many pretty young ladies shopping as usual.:(
Today is only the second day this week that I don't have to be somewhere, so I'll continue to remove those two trees from the front yard.

However I am not getting as much time in the train shed as I would like, or expected to get while wife is out of town. Letting granddogs out and in during the heat is time consuming, as is the tomato harvesting. Then of course is the excessive time spent in the pool! I did though, select the next structure for figure upgrading, one version of Walther's Merchant Row I. I had partially populated it but decided on a few more, as well as adding "fake" interiors to some of the storefronts.
IMG_3727.JPG

Then I made an interesting discovery.
IMG_3728.JPG

Seems that two walls had separated. So that had to be fixed first. I then discovered the cause of the separation which was that the roof didn't quite fit and had forced them apart. So out came the large file and I took off about .75mm from the length of the back. OK, it fits comfortably now but I was done for the afternoon. Time for beer and pool. I will be adding some vent pipes to that roof next along with some printed interiors, and maybe 4-6 more figures along the front and left side sidewalks.

Curt - Roxie obviously missed you!
Hughie - The posts about Brooklyn yesterday, brought back some memories. My Aunt's family moved into our "row house" when we moved out. I spoke with my oldest cousin who I played with as a youngster, while we were both at the other Aunt's funeral back in February. She has lived in Brooklyn all of her life and had jobs in Manhattan or Queens. She's 69 years old and has never had a drivers license or a need to drive! Then I remembered that my mother didn't get a driver's license until she was 32 while we lived in Dallas by then.

That's all for now. Have a safe weekend with those fireworks.

Good morning again. On the south facing deck and enjoying it. At most another hour out here until the previous missing sunshine gets around the corner of the house.

Door bell rings, very unusual and it’s the container, well car, spline car Guy’s daughter, with a box. Seems her daddy has his own agenda on when my weathering activities are needed to suit his needs. Started to tell her… she said he won’t listen, wants these done by August 1st. Wrote a note, maybe when I get back in September I can start them, but I move in October so expect November delivery if then. Added that I will text when she can drop them off. Off she went. His wife calls about 20 minutes later. Nope, struck to my guns and gave her a quote from my contractor the other day. From the stoneworks guy (aka container guy) says, “ can’t move any faster, have prior commitments”. She said, who told you that, I said my contractor the other day because that is what a sub told him when I asked for a change. Her response was “oh”.

Seems mom and dad can’t remember or put 2 and 2 together that they are doing our stonework but the daughter knows

I love f…ing with others minds.

I have traveled all over the globe for business and always tried to schedule extra time to sight see, especially if we went abroad. Terry retired 7 years earlier than I did. I waited till age 62. Once she had the time she would travel with me but would sight see when I was in conferences or giving a speech. Even when I did a golf trip she would come along. After my brother in law passed my sister would join us and while I was golfing or working they would see the sights.

We have never have done a cruise though. I would like to see Alaska on a cruise. I’d like to do an East Coast cruise and end up in Montreal. No interest in Caribbean cruises as I have been to many of the cruise destinations.

I always judged a destination with the same question I have at restaurants. Would I come back? More than 1/2 were no, but the globe is big. Lots of places we have not been to. But with Paradise (Maui) out there lurking, it’s hard to really want to go elsewhere.
Once holidayed in Tunisia and loved it
then a terrorist shot and killed tourists on the same beach we enjoyed
That one hurt, TERRY: Made my eyes leak!
View attachment 170968
had a good happy life and so many don’t gotta love a poodle

Weird vacations...

Spring of 1982, I and 6 of my friends rented a 41' Morgan with plans to sail from Miami to Bimini. That sail takes about 12 hours, so we headed out around 11:00PM so we would arrive in daylight, as Bimini had no night time navigational aids back then.

The sea was rough, and all but me and one other guy was getting really sea sick, so we headed back to Miami to wait it out a day or 2 to let the weather die down a bit. Ultimately, we just went down through the keys where the water is calm, even with bad weather.

Just south of Pumpkin Key, we anchored on the leeward side of a small unnamed key that was probably less than 5 acres in size. We explored teh key, and on the windward side, we came across an abandoned refugee boat. It was a large row boat... old clothes, shoes, blankets littering the scene... It looked like it had been there a while.

Got the plumbers here working on the tub upstairs. They had to cut an access panel into the wall, where someone had previously cut one. This time, they're adding the plastic access panel cover as part of the quote.

And, the stuck drain plug in the overflow pipe was stuck allllll the way down and into the pipe they wanted to save.

One of the plumbers joked "Can't be stuck if it's liquid metal..."

A moment later, the assistant plumber went to the truck and came back with more drain pipe. I just heard the Sawzall going. Can't be stuck if we cut that part of the pipe out!

I'll go see if I can get a pic soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back