Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

Same thing is happening in the US. Most of the automotive press went away over the last 5 years, precipitated by a change in ownership. I still much prefer a print magazine but am painfully cognizant I should get used to reading that stuff on a screen.
Part of it is the whole "green" thing. Less paper, less fuel to deliver the paper, etc. Of course, I think the resources required to produce a tablet are much more than a "lot" of magazines. In my own circumstances, digital makes more sense, because of a lack of space for storing printed media.

Off to bed (2am here). Was grouting the backsplash in the kitchen and the master bathroom shower and got home an hour ago.

Have to get up in 5 hours and get to the airport for a business trip to Kalamazoo. Just one night. I'll be back later Friday. The boss man is in from India for meetings in the US and so is bringing our team in for a team meeting. He was also ercently put over another mobile development team from another company that was bought a few years ago and they're coming too so this is a "get to know you" of his larger mobile development team. We have a dinner tomorrow, meetings and team building Friday and then I fly back home.

This will be my first work travel since Nov 2019 and the first one not to Ft Wayne. I;m based out of the Ft Wayne office though I've only been there 4 times. Once for a short interview. That trip was just a few hoursas I had an obligation to get back for. Most of the interviewing was grueling phone interviews. This was just a face to face so they can double check I was only a nerd and not a dork. Once for onboarding a few weeks later. Once for a new team kick off in 2017 and once for a team building exercise in 2019 when we had one or two new people. Those 4 trips spanned two companies, the first based in Ft Wayne, the second, which bought the first, based in San Jose CA, though I was still based in Ft Wayne and never made it to CA. Now, the second company was bought 2 years ago by a company based in Kalamazoo though they have offices everywhere around the world. I'm still technically based in Ft Wayne. They actually had a team meeting last November for a couple days in Kalamazoo do the new boss from India could meet us but I didn'tgo due to personal conflicts. Our former boss had quit a month before and a week before he quit (it was already planned and had nothing to do with this) he was moved from one business unit to another that was headed by our boss in India. When he quit the India boss took us on directly while they looked for a replacement but I think he's decided to just keep us direct to him.

Anyway, off to bed for a few hours. I'll try and nap on the plane.

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

ROUNDHOUSE_FKFRT040308.jpg

NKP/N&W Roundhouse in Frankfort IN before the NS let it collapse.:(

Part of it is the whole "green" thing. Less paper, less fuel to deliver the paper, etc. Of course, I think the resources required to produce a tablet are much more than a "lot" of magazines. In my own circumstances, digital makes more sense, because of a lack of space for storing printed media.
A bit of a ramble and a rant. I spent over a decade as a print journalist, working for 3 small town papers, and stringing for a bunch of others.

speaking as someone from the "Press" - I suspect what is going on isn't caused by "green" but by realities.

Media has moved more and more to freelancers to produce content, whether it's your local hometown paper, or your trade magazine. I can make about $50 a game to go photograph high school sports as a stringer.

That's less bennies in insurance to and for the employee they have to pay.

Interior pages in print (newspapers and magazines) are governed by amount of advertising they sell. Unfortunately, online advertising rates tend smaller, than print rates. Those are too easy to track exposure. Print ad rates are based on the largest circulation. They charge more since each copy might get multiple sets of eyeballs. But a tablet read is one set of eyeballs. Most people don't set a tablet out at the barbershop or doctors office

Mergers: Every time a smaller media site gets purchased by a larger site, you're adding more layers that the bottom line has to feed. Every one of the papers I used to work for is now owned by a larger corporation with dozens or more publications. They share resources in management and printing costs, and keep churning staff reporters (photogs are videographers now... IF they exist at all. Smaller press is almost always a reporter with a camera).

College grads make less than someone with 5 years of experience. Cut them loose after a few years. Keep one or two senior people, and let them manage five local papers across three states. Give them a stable of contract employee "stringers" making $50 a story.

Magazine press has a larger staff level, but Kalmbach saw the wave of the future. They pay for their hosting, their server space, and built a firewall between content and readers. The Print Magazine was a gateway to get eyes on the Trains.com site. Every time I got a chance, I tried to answer surveys with "I don't care about toy trains, my HOA won't allow garden railways, and I don't have time to read MRR, when will I have time to read Trains mag online? Let alone watch the videos from all of those magazines???"

Now, I've done a few online subscriptions for magazines. They're not great, and each one seems to have a different app. If this doesn't get resolved soon, the publications will struggle to grow their online presence. The only saving grace in the MRR publications is that most of their readership is print or "let me look on my computer's big screen" and don't do much with tablets. -- But even here, on this forum, I see a lot of you reading on tablets.

The magazine industry should learn from the book industry. Amazon changed the book landscape when they introduced the Kindle tablet, and the e-pub *(they call it a mobi file, but they've converted to an epub, since that became the industry standard). With my books the same epub file for my mystery books can go to Kindle, Kobo, AppleBooks, GooglePlay, etc. The text free-flows - make it larger or smaller. Pics go in sequence, click to see it larger. Click to go back to text. "Layout" is just a lot of text inline that I can resize once to my comfort level. It stays set there across multiple publications.

Magazines haven't figured out that the page layout in print, does NOT have to be duplicated online. They seem stuck in the stone ages of treating an e-publication like a web-page at best. Usually, they treat it like a magazine page. No free flowing text. Enlarge the page, and scroll around it with your tablet. I spend more time scrolling and pinching to switch between text and images on the static mag-e-pages than I do reading the articles. Most often, I just look at the photos and ignore the text due to scrolling/resizing pains. I might as well get a girly magazine online if that's the case. ;)

Soapbox is going back under the counter for now. Thanks for letting me rant.

Good morning gang!

57° and sunny this morning, with a high expected of 85°.

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work we go! I’m not even sure why I’m going in today. It seems that between vacation, mandatory school training and illness, I’m only gonna have about three mechanics in the shop and maybe a total of six appointments for the day.
Boring!!

Morning all,

Leaving at 12:30 today as I have server maintenance to do on Saturday.

Currently 70° and partly cloudy with some thundershowers in the area.

I have to get the closet finished this afternoon and if any rain holds off, I'll get the screen back on the sliding patio doors. When the kids were bringing their dogs over on Saturday, one of my son's dogs bolted through it, necessitating the need for the repair. Poor critter had never been at our house. The other dogs waited as they had hit it in the past. While I have the tool to push the rubber and new screen into the track, it's sometimes quicker to pay to get it done. Screening was nylon and 8 years old, so in fairness to the dog, was probably not going to last much longer anyway.

Troy: I was thinking just this morning on the way about the mergers in media. I was trying to find a obit for a former high school friend. Our local newspaper was merged with the newspaper of the county seat and another town in the county a number of years ago. The 3 newspapers went from a 6 days a week circulation to a 3 days a week, and 95% of the news is what's going on in the county seat. They wonder why the paper is losing circulation. County seat is about 12,500, the populations combined of the other 2 towns is double that at a bit over 25,000.

A bit of a ramble and a rant. I spent over a decade as a print journalist, working for 3 small town papers, and stringing for a bunch of others.

speaking as someone from the "Press" - I suspect what is going on isn't caused by "green" but by realities.

Media has moved more and more to freelancers to produce content, whether it's your local hometown paper, or your trade magazine. I can make about $50 a game to go photograph high school sports as a stringer.

That's less bennies in insurance to and for the employee they have to pay.

Interior pages in print (newspapers and magazines) are governed by amount of advertising they sell. Unfortunately, online advertising rates tend smaller, than print rates. Those are too easy to track exposure. Print ad rates are based on the largest circulation. They charge more since each copy might get multiple sets of eyeballs. But a tablet read is one set of eyeballs. Most people don't set a tablet out at the barbershop or doctors office

Mergers: Every time a smaller media site gets purchased by a larger site, you're adding more layers that the bottom line has to feed. Every one of the papers I used to work for is now owned by a larger corporation with dozens or more publications. They share resources in management and printing costs, and keep churning staff reporters (photogs are videographers now... IF they exist at all. Smaller press is almost always a reporter with a camera).

College grads make less than someone with 5 years of experience. Cut them loose after a few years. Keep one or two senior people, and let them manage five local papers across three states. Give them a stable of contract employee "stringers" making $50 a story.

Magazine press has a larger staff level, but Kalmbach saw the wave of the future. They pay for their hosting, their server space, and built a firewall between content and readers. The Print Magazine was a gateway to get eyes on the Trains.com site. Every time I got a chance, I tried to answer surveys with "I don't care about toy trains, my HOA won't allow garden railways, and I don't have time to read MRR, when will I have time to read Trains mag online? Let alone watch the videos from all of those magazines???"

Now, I've done a few online subscriptions for magazines. They're not great, and each one seems to have a different app. If this doesn't get resolved soon, the publications will struggle to grow their online presence. The only saving grace in the MRR publications is that most of their readership is print or "let me look on my computer's big screen" and don't do much with tablets. -- But even here, on this forum, I see a lot of you reading on tablets.

The magazine industry should learn from the book industry. Amazon changed the book landscape when they introduced the Kindle tablet, and the e-pub *(they call it a mobi file, but they've converted to an epub, since that became the industry standard). With my books the same epub file for my mystery books can go to Kindle, Kobo, AppleBooks, GooglePlay, etc. The text free-flows - make it larger or smaller. Pics go in sequence, click to see it larger. Click to go back to text. "Layout" is just a lot of text inline that I can resize once to my comfort level. It stays set there across multiple publications.

Magazines haven't figured out that the page layout in print, does NOT have to be duplicated online. They seem stuck in the stone ages of treating an e-publication like a web-page at best. Usually, they treat it like a magazine page. No free flowing text. Enlarge the page, and scroll around it with your tablet. I spend more time scrolling and pinching to switch between text and images on the static mag-e-pages than I do reading the articles. Most often, I just look at the photos and ignore the text due to scrolling/resizing pains. I might as well get a girly magazine online if that's the case. ;)

Soapbox is going back under the counter for now. Thanks for letting me rant.
Every word of this rings true. We are investors in a local print magazine that is also available online and everything is free. Ads pay the bills. We are in the foyer free at grocery stores. Why we print the free thing is beyond me as 80% of our readers are online. But it’s what the major investors feel is right.

I stopped subscribing to anything Kalmbach in 2015 after at least 5 years of agonizing over trying to make that decision. I had every RMC and Model Railroader Magazine from 1960 along with 100’s of other train related magazines when I retired and most went to Goodwill (for scrap I’m sure) in 2014 when I retired. I have used an IPadPro for anything online related since retirement and read train forums instead of magazines.

I know 2 editors at Kalmbach well enough to have their text addresses. When I texted both yesterday only 1 responded when I asked how it’s going. His response, “unexpected, scared, worried and really we don’t know anything”. “I should have connected the dots a few weeks ago when they told us we were going to move office buildings, now I don’t know”.

It’s sad if your livelyhood is tied up in Kalmbach.

Random thoughts:

Why do bugs always seem to hit only the drivers side windshield when you're driving after dark?

Why is it I qualify for a veteran's auto tag and a handicap auto tag, but not a handicapped veteran auto tag?

Why do people going to the gym, park as close to the entrance as possible, even circling the parking lot for that space, to go walk on a treadmill?

More to come...

Random thoughts:

Why do bugs always seem to hit only the drivers side windshield when you're driving after dark?

Why is it I qualify for a veteran's auto tag and a handicap auto tag, but not a handicapped veteran auto tag?

Why do people going to the gym, park as close to the entrance as possible, even circling the parking lot for that space, to go walk on a treadmill?

More to come...
Maybe the military has higher standards for being considered disabled.

I had something interesting happen to me on my way to work this morning. Since I originally moved to this area in 1983, the speed limit on the highway I now use to commute has been 55. It was 55 yesterday. Today, someone placed a temporary speed limit sign with camera attached for 45, in between the two 55 signs. I of course was driving through there at 60. We'll see if I get a ticket...

Good morning from the overcast skies of So. Central Wisconsin where the rains should start around 11am. 56f degrees now 71 later and the rainfall guess for the next 12 hours the app says is 3”.

We are in the new but old house. We were here till August 2023 while the last place was being built, 17 months). We have owned this place since 2007 when we built it as student rental and converted it to our corporate offices in 2012. Over the past couple months I have put up downstairs my papermill, tree tunnel and transload modules that I had in the shop at the last place. Now that we are moved back in I will be turning everything back into a layout by connecting those modules (scenes).

Terry was happy and had no issues last night with the furniture placement except for 2 file cabinets in her office. Easy fix for that. I’m sure there will be adjustments today but in about 90 minutes I’ll be working on the layout.

There was lots of tension at the closing per our attorney. I ran the utility company and later an electrician off the property on the 29th as they wanted to add an electrical connection to the grid but in our name. That was never a discussion or a counter proposal. It’s also funny because none of our properties and businesses are in either of our names. Unless I tell you our corporate name, you won’t find Terry and I at our current place or previous few. The attorney and realtor when the argument began about that followed orders and started to get up and was asked what were they doing. They were leaving. I am so glad we weren’t there and one of the reasons we weren’t was the grid connection. The attorney last night at dinner said you could see the fear of lost commissions on both realtors and fee of the buyer’s attorney. When asked if they were going to negotiate this our attorney said no. There is a sales agreement sign it or not, they signed it…

Terry wondered last night if I will be invited to op sessions on the layout…

I had something interesting happen to me on my way to work this morning. Since I originally moved to this area in 1983, the speed limit on the highway I now use to commute has been 55. It was 55 yesterday. Today, someone placed a temporary speed limit sign with camera attached for 45, in between the two 55 signs. I of course was driving through there at 60. We'll see if I get a ticket...
I recently bought an on board camera system for my truck. I got the 360 ordeal 4 cameras mounted on inside very discreet mind you that record for outside action and one interior camera that records dash and forward view. There are so many things happening here in NY (New York being a nanny state or big brother which ever your prefer to call it) with all the camera systems along the highways and in the cities now I feel I have to protect myself with a driver's viewpoint now. It's unfortunate but it is necessary evil and will come in handy if an incident does occur. I have it set up to record on a SD card and to my phone which in turn is sends to my cloud and home system too. Paranoid? nope just don't trust anyone. They pull that crap in small towns changing signs constantly. I remember living in Florida Ocala area was notorious for doing that. I never got a ticket but it was bad for some people. Those red light cameras and now speed trap cameras are so messed up! I despise them!

Good Morning All. Wet, cloudy and 63° after a night of rain. While lightning could be seen, no thunder was heard, so I guess the thunderstorms were just too far away. Rain gauge contains 1.5" this morning. We lost power again last night. This time it affected the whole area from what I could see, or not see! Not sure when it went off, I called the power company when I got up for a bathroom break at 3:45 and it was back on by 4:30. The rush of air from the ceiling fan woke me briefly but I was able to go back to sleep for another hour. Mixed weather from here on, a slight chance of more thunderstorms just after sunset tonight and then again overnight Saturday. However I do not trust the NWS in this area to be any more accurate than a drunk with a dartboard.

It must be Thursday as the fridge needs refilling. Time for the weekly grocery trek today. That kills half the day but it's too wet outside for anything else. Even though I hate the place, I should go to Walmart and get a new pair of high water boots. I think that the Vitamin Shop and Dollar General are also on today's itinerary.

Yesterday in the garden, I picked more Broccoli. The main heads were picked 10 days ago and now it's smaller side shoots that are being picked. Still looks like tomorrow or Friday for Green Peas.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I finished up the Merchant's Row III structure except for signage and potential figures. I also discovered where the other kit came from that I showed yesterday, it was manufactured by Con-Cor at the time. At least the Con-Cor kit had curtains and other window treatments, the Walther's version does not. I put in black construction paper with the Scenics Accent glue for later removal when I can find and print some interiors.
IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG

Oooops! Time to clean the camera lens!:(

Mike (97) - Thank you for your comment.
Curt - When I bought the structure that you referenced, it was a single building from Walther's called "Brick Office Building". I am using it as a rooming house run by a Christian Organization.
Mac - Do you have any idea what crop that is growing along the side of that highway? Kinda looks like flax to me.
Chad - Have a safe trip.

Kalmbach - I stopped getting Trains a few years back when every issue usually had some article fawning on E. Hunter Harrison. MRR is now so thin that I am considering not renewing, plus they haven't come up with anything that I don't already know in quite some time.

Everyone have a great and safe Thursday.

Last edited:

Back