Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today I went to the very 1st inaugural run-opening day for Alco #5 and the Saratoga Corinth & Hudson Railway that started in Corinth NY! Fantastic day and weather!

I got a few items a T-Shirt and a replica of the builders plate of Alco #5.....pretty cool. I was going to get a hat but they didn't have my size. Enjoy the pictures. I highly recommend this trip and ride great staff and nice ride!

20220522_151000.jpg
20220522_150940.jpg
20220522_133429.jpg
20220522_132903.jpg
20220522_132853.jpg
20220522_132846.jpg
20220522_111935.jpg
20220522_112008.jpg
20220522_112035.jpg
20220522_112115.jpg

Last edited:
more....

As I understand it the passenger cars and the power/baggage car came from the Saratoga & North Creek RR and at one time may have been the D&H. The business car at the end that looks a bit rough due to sanding and undergoing restoration was originally Illinois Central business car and then became Columbus & Greenville RR then it was acquired by the owner of Saratoga Corinth & Hudson Railway as a private car. It will be used once restored for special venues and such. It did run on the rails today but no patrons today on that car.

20220522_112035.jpg
20220522_112041.jpg
20220522_112105.jpg
20220522_112153.jpg
20220522_112222.jpg
20220522_112247.jpg
20220522_112308.jpg
20220522_112353.jpg

Good afternoon, all. We were woken this morning at 5:15 to thunderstorms and rain, about an inch and a half. We definitely need the rain. A warm day otherwise, temps in the mid eighties.

Made a little progress on the Transfer building. Still some details needing to be done. Roof over the dock, there's a roof over the front door and window, window frames and I'm considering using a stencil brush with some blue and white on the roofs in an effort to give them a textured look.
1653253631454.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good morning from about 100 miles south and a shade west of MikeinHubcity. It is 41f degrees feeling like 36 but warming hopefully per the weather app to 60. So. Central Wisconsin is also breezy this morning at 10mph. A good indoor day.

I again have the granddaughter to maybe 1 today. Dad is coaching 2 games this morning. The grandson, daughter, niece and Terry were at Disneyland yesterday in California. Terry texted they got to the park at 11 am local time and were walking to the parking lot after the parade at 9:30pm, local time, 11:30 here. I am so glad I had to miss that trip. She thinks that maybe the daughter and niece had a greater time then the 8 year old grandso.

mikeinhubcity, I was fortunate as a kid in the 60’s that dad was able to get $5.00 standing room only tickets to the Chicago BlackHawk games. That was great, top row standing in the old Chicago Stadium, maybe 5-10 games a year. I still have a ticket stub from every pro game I ever attended in a rather big wooden chest. Later in college a neighbor had season tickets via the company he owned and I could get maybe 3-5 games a year. Then after college for the 2 years I returned to Chicago after graduation and before I woke up to how much I hated Chicagoland I would drive a few minutes and buy Mezzanine seats, have a hot dog and pretzel and be in heaven. I love to this day the NHL game. In the late 80’s to 2016, we had season tickets and would drive down, grab the sister and BIL for about 20 games and all the playoff games for years. The other 20 games a year, the sales teams would take clients when that was still deductible. Those were fun except the Hawks were terrible in the 2000’s till 2 years before the 3 cups in 6 seasons.

pressed post too early

Not sure about trains today but the desire is there
Tom- I can remember going to Flyers games at the Spectrum & seeing Gordie and Mark Howe play together. The Gretzky, Kurri & Mess line with Edmonton. Pelle Lindbergh before his tragic crash(the hospital he was transported to was only a block from my childhood home). Clarke, Barber & Bob the Hound Kelly, along with Jimmy & Joe Watson and Moose Dupont, Brian Propp & Tim Kerr. Bernie Parent(Only Jesus Saves More Than Bernie Parent) & Pete Peeters after Bernie retired. It was a great time to be a hockey fan in Philly(mid 70’s to mid 80’s)

Good morning all!
42F in Libby
54F in Mt Prospect IL
Ima bored waiting to get unloaded so how about some rambling mush?
I totally enjoy all of the pix, thought and comments you all have come forth with. Even the taboo stuff although sometimes it gets out there. I can be blamed for that also. Anyway, counting down the weeks until I can actually add something to the discussions with pix for evidence. I tried dealing with a small toolbox with cars that needed couplers and such, but it just does not work on the road. I guess that I need mo space to spread my wings sorta speak. So I have my trusty laptop and have been writing code for a few different things along with creating logo's and artwork. We still are planning to get off the truck for good come November although we might decide to stay out a little longer, Depression depending. Time will tell. Keep those posts coming!
Later

Last edited:
Good morning all! 51 degrees heading for 68 down here just 253 miles straight south of @ctclibby

Didn't do too much yesterday. Worked in the garden for a while. We've had so much rain the past week I hope everything survives.
After that I spent most of the day sitting on my butt watching Indy 500 practice and pole qualifying. Really amazed at the speeds they're hitting this year. Later I listened to the NASCAR all star race via the MRN audio stream since I don't have FS1 to watch. Honestly it was just as dull as I expected it to be. save for the end when NASCAR officiating botched up yet another race.

Back to work today. Hope you all have a great day!

Wow, great morning here in Virginia. Nice and cool for the morning walk.
Finished the repair on the GTEL tender yesterday. That tender never did have good rolling characteristics and neither does the new one. At least I have it repaired and back in service.
I have an MTH SD70ACe that I had put aside several years ago when swapping the decoder out. The MTH just doesn't play well with other DCC locomotives so I was doing a transplant of the decoder. The replacement decoder just never worked right and put the whole thing in a cigar box and set it aside.
The Rolling to Remember ride will be this coming Sunday up in Washington DC. I have a few friends coming down from Michigan later this week to ride in the event.
In the meantime, I'm gonna sit here and sip a Bang drink and watch the Virtual Rail Fan, Hesperia cam for a little bit and see what other atrocities have been going on around the world.

Morning all,

Spent most of the day cleaning the boys house yesterday. His mom and sister decided he's too much a bachelor and so it was cleanup time. I'm beat.

Supposed to get a tom of rain over the next few days. Starting tonight and through Thursday. 2+ inches in my particular area with temps in the 55-60° area and then getting back to clear and hot for the holiday weekend.

Going to be a busy few days at the office as we have the Department of Homeland Security here to do an audit of all of our systems and make recommendations, but not just on the computer systems.

BBL

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 57°. It appears to be a bit foggy out there as I can't see the neighbors security light. It should get back up to the mid-70's today after an unseasonably cool high yesterday of 66°. NWS still has thunderstorms in the forecast for late tonight through Wednesday noon. Wind is currently out of the east right now, which always means rain in this part of the world.

Smoked a rack of ribs yesterday for supper. I feel cheated though. When I buy ribs at Kroger, there are always 13 ribs in the rack. This package that my wife got at Winco had only 10! I pointed out to her that's why they were cheaper there. Pretty much tasted the same.

Looking ahead at this week, neither of us has any doctor's appointments! It's a week that I always looked forward to before I retired, get up in the morning and I don't have to be somewhere.

Thanks for the many comments and likes for my city-scape pictures.; Tom O, Joe, Patrick, Guy, Mikey, Dave B, OB Ken, Louis, Hughie, Karl, Curt, Smudge, Rick, James, IB Ken.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was another day of running trains. I haven't found a suitable interior for the first floor of the bank structure, and I have gotten into a lull because of this. So I set it aside for now. I've been through my library of images and previously printed stuff, but nothing jumps out at me yet. I am too busy with yard care and gardening to do much more research on the Internet right now. Any and all free time has been spent with my wife planning her vacation (from me) next month, and the upcoming remodel project we are planning for one of the unused bedrooms. But running trains is good therapy for all of life's ups and downs.
Here are the last three panoramic shots that I took the other day.
IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG

Some work still needs to be done in all three scenes.

Guy - No offense taken. As you could tell, I wasn't pleased at how the first window turned out which is why I did the other one with a different glue. Believe me, it doesn't always work but scraping out the old and redoing it is easy.
Karl - I assume that your response to Terry was in regards to the part where he posted "including offers from one political party, offering to fill out and submit votes in his name."; and not the delivery of mail to long gone citizens.
Get well soon. They probably miss you at work.
James - Really nice series of pictures yesterday.
Hughie - You have a lot more patience than me working on those N scale structures.

Today is Victoria Day in Canada. Don't ask Guy since he doesn't celebrate any holidays.;)
Everybody have a great day and stay cool.

Good morning from Wisconsin. With Terry still in California the place is quiet with no TV on. The weather has sucked with the outside temperatures not going above 59 the last 3 days. It is 43 now heading to 64. Nice and clear right now. The prediction on the weather app reads like a early Springtime day, except it’s May already.

The son went to a soccer game in Austin. They have a pro league team and the video he sent was a packed stadium with crazy fans. He loved it and he and the g/f road the train back to her place. She is the soccer fan and he said he has started joining in on the craziness. Too slow, long and boring a game for me.

I believe my modeling funk has passed but I am not forcing myself to stay at the bench. Just operating a local for 10-15 minutes at a time has been fine. 3 times each on Saturday and Sunday. I even threw the lift out bridge across the aisle for a Continous run as I worked a bit at the bench. I know there is not supposed to be a need to break in the new locomotives but I still do.

I had tried to make a list of things to buy as I feel the need for some hobby online retail therapy. It seems I really don’t need anything that would make the buying spree worthwhile. I have the amount of locomotives I designed the layout for +2 more then needed. I need some coil cars, a couple more reefers but need 1st to sell off some older reefers that I have taken off the layout. If I don’t they stay in the drawers and I want all my rolling stock on the layout. So, when I get back to the bench it will be to finish the biomass facility started a couple years ago. The paint bench still has my 6 car weathering project that I looked at over the weekend that is starting to look ok to me. Maybe dull cote and call it done.

Enjoy the day

Good Morning, from a place where the wife shelters her potted flowers inside the shed every night. She's worried about morning frost.
39F this fine morning.

There seems to be a young leprechaun loose in the forest, spreading joyful messages in the form of 'folk art'.
FolkArt_05-22-2022.JPG

These painted rocks are being left at the base of trees. I find them along the way as I'm walking. I've never seen the anonymous artist.

I'm trying out a little different way to build the latest Sylvan truck. Gluing most of it together before I prime and paint, rather than painting individual pieces before construction.
If I get a chance, I'll prime this bit today:
52 Ford COE_05-22-2022 (4).JPG

Not sure if I'll get to decanting primer, it's a G-kids birthday and I have some work to do on top of it all.

Also, come the time to commit, I'm going to experiment with a different acetate windshield installation technique I've come up with. For now, I'll call it the 'Chopstick Technique'. All will be explained when I'm attempting to do it on a later date.

Curt - Very nice video. Watching it led me to another Tube video, which I watched also. I'll check the rest of them out when I have time to watch.

Willie - I believe that most people don't actually celebrate national holidays. They just take them as another day off from work, and the reason for the holiday becomes lost. - For me, everyday is a holiday, as I have the ability to pick-n-choose what I want to do with a day. Christmas is the only holiday I celebrate, and that's only for the children's sake. Plus, the children's birthdays are important to remember.

Today, I'll take some brief time to price another fence job. Perhaps I can make some hobby money. Plus, the wife wants a couple of trestles built for her flowers to crawl up onto. A trestle takes all of 15mins to build.

Time for one more coffee, and then I'll get on with something! Have a good one!

Well, another quiet day yesterday. Caught the wife just doing busy work. Called her attention to it and how I had listened when she lamented her level of tiredness, and shouldn't she possibly be better served plunking her pretty boo-hiny in the chair and watching mindless telly? So instead of castrating me, she did what I told her to do and was asleep within 30 minutes of her first "Downton Abby" episode. Stayed the rest of the afternoon and evening doing no more than that. I chipped in with the laundry chores; volunteered to straighten up the house this morning; fixed the leftover plates for our dinner; etc.

No trains, but I did look longingly at the layout. I just might spend an hour today running trains. I pulled a reefer express into the yard about two weeks ago that is desperately needing breaking up and forwarding. Some yard boss is going to get his ass chewed!

Knee is doing pretty well so will try 9 holes tomorrow. Seems silly to ride in a cart for just nine, but I may do just that in order to avoid too much stress. Maybe if I ride like an old fart, I'll play like one. You know, the oldsters who can only hit it 150 yards, but it's straight down the middle. And this course has zero holes that two 150s won't put you on the green. It is a par 32 with five par-4s and four par-3s. The longest par 3 is not much over 150!

Blessed Day to all! -----Steve J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back