Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!
On my way to work on the fence/shed project, but, I see Willie has asked a question. So I'll take the time to answer.
Guy - Great progress on the truck model. What do you mean about the windshield?
I mean scribing and cutting a little windshield the shape of that tiny windshield hole on the model, and fitting it in there. I'd like to do it to the rear window as well.
Right now, I'm letting the enamel paint on the model set properly while I finish the fence. I'll try and scribe out a windshield when that's done.

Gotta go. Have a great day everyone!

Good morning all, 50° and sunny, little breezy. Just watched 6 crows and a songbird chase off an owl, they were making an awful sqwauk!

I had a great weekend, got a lot of work done and also have today off. Will be going to the dentist and finishing some small projects around the house, at the church, and on the train room.

Curt - we love our backyard and land, we literally spent years looking for a good location

TomO - Mosinee had a massive land holding south of Solon Springs where I spent a summer as an intern. Much of the land burned in a big fire in about 1976, the land was really sandy and mostly Jack pine and Oak.

We grilled Sunday too, perfect weather for it

Guy - you are really going to town on the truck. I bought some special glue for the windshields, it worked pretty well.

Joe - thanks for sharing pic Reading 5201

James - thanks for sharing CP pics

Hughie - nice layout shots

JeffH - we have Green herons all summer, lots of swamps and trees here

Patrick - hope the kink goes away

Todd - bon voyage, hope the run goes well!!

Sherrel - hope the O2 improves

A shot from the weekend layout progress

IMG_2172.JPG

Got the lift out figured out and roughed in!!!

later, Dave LASM

A slightly cool morning here in Virginia.
A couple years ago, I started cutting the grass at the entrance to my subdivision here. It had grown so tall in the center divider and on the corner lot where the subdivision marque is. I thought the original developer was responsible for that but I could never get a call back from him, so I just decided to haul my mower and trimmer up there to take care of it. Now, just last year while I was cutting the grass around the marque, the neighbor whose house was on the next lot walked over to me and told me that lot with the marque was their lot also. So I've been cutting their grass for the past year and a half and they never bothered to say anything about it.
Now, this morning, that same neighbor posted on our closed community Facebook page that the corner lot was looking so shabby they she couldn't keep up with the maintenance and wanted some help from the community. Several had responded that they would be glad to help out. I posted on there about what she had told me last year, that she owned the lot.
I would guess the center strip which is about 60 feet long and a few feet wide is still community property, but I'll be darned if I'll go mow someone else's grass when her 40 something year old husband has time to practice his frisbee throwing in the front yard.

A slightly cool morning here in Virginia.
A couple years ago, I started cutting the grass at the entrance to my subdivision here. It had grown so tall in the center divider and on the corner lot where the subdivision marque is. I thought the original developer was responsible for that but I could never get a call back from him, so I just decided to haul my mower and trimmer up there to take care of it. Now, just last year while I was cutting the grass around the marque, the neighbor whose house was on the next lot walked over to me and told me that lot with the marque was their lot also. So I've been cutting their grass for the past year and a half and they never bothered to say anything about it.
Now, this morning, that same neighbor posted on our closed community Facebook page that the corner lot was looking so shabby they she couldn't keep up with the maintenance and wanted some help from the community. Several had responded that they would be glad to help out. I posted on there about what she had told me last year, that she owned the lot.
I would guess the center strip which is about 60 feet long and a few feet wide is still community property, but I'll be darned if I'll go mow someone else's grass when her 40 something year old husband has time to practice his frisbee throwing in the front yard.

That would just piss me off....

Ken: The answer is somewhere in the covenants and regulations that date back to when the subdivision was created. Chances are that if the area is in the center of the entrance / exit road, and on a parcel (unbuildable lot), where the Marque is located, it is common ground. The lot plan should also indicate what it is.Most likely it is Common Ground most likely owned by the Homeowners Association. (Or what ever it is called in your area).

People who lay claim to property that is not theirs are not confined to Jersey, but are found all over the country. I understand why you would mow the grounds, but someone other than you is responsible. Since someone has taken issue with your generosity, you don't need the abuse.

Dave:
Good work on the lift. Lots of progress.

Ken, I wouldn't mow it either once she was snitty enough to say it's her property. Some people...

I live pretty far out in a small city that used to be a village and 2 townships that all merged to become the city of Pataskala Ohio. Generally, the neighbors all stay to themselves while being cordial with each other. I like it that way. We have 12 acres, and the people all the way around us have at least 10 acres. When the village merged with the townships to become an incorporated city, they passed building codes that prohibit teh creation of any new parcels in our area that are less than 10 acres. So we never have to worry about a "neighborhood" popping up adjacent to our land. I like it that way.

I'm the kind of neighbor who mows a foot or 2 of my neighbor's yard as a courtesy. We have a tree line that separates our properties with the folks to the East of us. When we moved in, I continued to mow on their side of the trees (like the seller did)... just one swath of my mower. I use my 61: zero turn to mow around the individual trees than dot our property line, then tidy up the edge line so it looks OK. But it ends up being a few feet of their property.

My neighbor insisted I stop doing that because I cut my lawn a little lower than they do theirs. They mow theirs high. I mow mine a little lower, and they thought I was trying to make their yard look smaller... which is ridiculous... Each of our " front yards" is at least 4 acres, and the spot that they're all freaked out about is like 6 feet away from a detached 3-car garage (my shop) at our guest house.

I still go around the trees occasionally, because when they mow, they don't mow up to the trees... they mow up to the property line, which is a couple feet on their side of the trees... This leaves a couple of feet on the far sides of the trees I have to deal with... Sure is simple to just loop around the trees then straighten up the edge.... I still do my loops about once every 4-6 weeks. They haven't said anything for a couple of years now. In my case, it's the male neighbor who is goofy about it. And he blamed it on his wife when he first brought it up. But when I said something to her about me not cutting their grass, she looked at me like I was from another planet. I think his middle name is Karen.

Good Morning!
On my way to work on the fence/shed project, but, I see Willie has asked a question. So I'll take the time to answer.

I mean scribing and cutting a little windshield the shape of that tiny windshield hole on the model, and fitting it in there. I'd like to do it to the rear window as well.
Right now, I'm letting the enamel paint on the model set properly while I finish the fence. I'll try and scribe out a windshield when that's done.

Gotta go. Have a great day everyone!
Rather than trying to cut a glass, try a generous drop of white glue on a toothpick to spread around the window opening to leave a thin film across the opening. It will dry transparent.
If you do not like the results, you can punch out the dried glue.

There used to be covenants to this development when I moved here 10 years ago. The original builder established them about 18 years ago when he started building. He has since died, and the development has been built out. The covenants state that they are good until the builder no longer has an interest in the development. So I don't think there are any covenants or bylaws to this development anymore and as far as it becoming an HOA, all but one resident do not want an HOA. The center divider at the entrance doesn't belong to any of the lots. It stands by itself and I have no idea who owns it. The lot with the marque belongs to the next lot as I looked it up in the county parcels and it is in fact part of their lot.
Yeah, it really does torque me that they would just let it go, looking like a cheap trailer park entrance then not say something when I was mowing it for a couple seasons. It's not like they just didn't see me when I was mowing. There were several times when they were out in their driveway while I was mowing, just 20 yards away. Prolly thought I was just being real neighborly or a sucker.

Found this train sitting on the trestle in the edge of Leeds, Alabama over the weekend.
It had to be an extra as it sat on the track for several hours.
This track leads to the tunnel that legend says John Henry raced manually against a steam driver.

Attachments

• 20220508_120349.jpg
    20220508_120349.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220508_120456.jpg
    20220508_120456.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 66
Afternoon All,

Started out taking Dad to the VA this morning, then painted the plaster and after that I trimmed the bushes in the front yard. It was bearable because of the breeze. Supposed to be in the 90's all week and I think Wednesday it's supposed to be 98 F 😣.

Thank you for the picture likes yesterday.

Hughie- Nice layout shots.

Jazz Dad- The tank has potential.

Ken D&J- Glad your op session went well. I would never cut it again.

Jeff- Nice Heron. We have a cardinal family take up residence and they're sure noisy in the morning when the sun comes up.

Patrick- Sounds like you are keeping busy.

Sherrel- They make O2 concentrators that fit in a backpack for mobility.

Dave- Is that lift out going to have a hinge? If not, how are you planning on adding feeder wires to the section?

Mikey- Interesting photos.

layout54.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Started out taking Dad to the VA this morning, then painted the plaster and after that I trimmed the bushes in the front yard. It was bearable because of the breeze. Supposed to be in the 90's all week and I think Wednesday it's supposed to be 98 F 😣.

Thank you for the picture likes yesterday.

Hughie- Nice layout shots.

Jazz Dad- The tank has potential.

Ken D&J- Glad your op session went well. I would never cut it again.

Jeff- Nice Heron. We have a cardinal family take up residence and they're sure noisy in the morning when the sun comes up.

Patrick- Sounds like you are keeping busy.

Sherrel- They make O2 concentrators that fit in a backpack for mobility.

Dave- Is that lift out going to have a hinge? If not, how are you planning on adding feeder wires to the section?

Mikey- Interesting photos.

View attachment 146007

I hope everyone has a good night.
The lift comes in and out really easy, lines up perfect. Rather than drop it down, it slides back and nestles into the same place each time due to the oddball shape.

I can easily slide in-connect the joiners after it is in place. If necessary, I will add feeders

Flo, a couple slices of scrapple, a pair of rooster bullets, over medium, and some buttered rye toast, PATY.
Tom O- one of the things I love about the Stanley Cup Playoffs is that at the conclusion of the final game in each series, both teams line up for the handshake line. No matter how hard fought the series was or how bitter the rivalry, they always practice good sportsmanship with the aforementioned handshake line. It’s a shame you never see that in other sports.
I also seem to have lost the modeling mojo. It’s been a while since I’ve made any progress in the train room.
I was able to catch the end of the Dodgers-Phillies game yesterday. It was good to see the Kenosha Kid, Gavin Lux, make up for his 2nd error that led to the 4 Philly runs, with a 2 run double in the bottom of the 9th for the first walkoff hit of his career.
Sherrel- I have a call into my pulmonologist to see what the next gameplan is, since the “approved” imaging center wants a $2900 copay before they will even book an appointment for the PET scan.

Afternoon all,

Almost have the 2FA\MFA configured on the first firewall. We're at a standstill until we get a couple of SSL certificates...seems every time I turn around we need to get more certificates...

Sherrel: When I charged the system I had water running into the trap in the basement. It hadn't rained in a couple of days prior, and stopped shortly after I turned the water off. Turned it back on again a few days later, still no rain and the water was coming in again. So we tested from the house to the backflow preventer and no leak. So the leak must be in the pipe between the backflow and the valves. Plumber was supposed to dig it up and find the leak, which was expected to be near the foundation of the house. After 5 weeks and being a no show, I dug the line, only to find it wasn't leaking after 30 hours of being at charge. So I am at a loss as to where the water was actually coming from.

Oh well, it's been a day. Headed home in 30 minutes.

Sherrel, we are praying for you.

What about that portable oxygen thing I see on TV?

I know it's not even close, but I'd rather be snaking on UTZ red hot potato chips instead of carrots and celery. A man has got to do what he has to do.

Stay positive old buddy!

A serious question though; has anyone here actually had to defend themselves/family members/neighbors, or use the visibility of a firearm to dissuade an undesirable person? In my career I had to disarm two different persons in two different situations, but I was able to talk them out of escalating. Both were intoxicated non-employees.

Willie: I once had to fire a 12 gauge near a would be burger who was hiding in some plantings as he moved towards my parents home at 2:00 AM on a cold winter night. Needless to said he left in a hurry. At 2:00 AM on a winter's night the sound of a 12 gauge discharge would get anyone's attention!!! My parents lived in a rural area with 40+ acres behind their home.

The Sheriff's Deputy who answered the call followed the fellow's tracks in the snow through a field and woods to the road where he had parked.

My parents were out of town and I was house sitting since they were getting hangup phone calls for the last several months on Saturday evenings. The calls came when I was house sitting, but never answer any of them. The would be bad guy must of figured the house to be empty.

During my 39 years associated with the private side of Public Safety we routinely came across individuals with weapons and I remember two incidents where I had to disarm individuals when I was alone.

-Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back