Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan- I liked your write up, but did not understand much other than you had a very frustrating time. My knowledge of DCC and chip's is rather meager. Mostly limited to basic Digitrax equipment. Oh, and that you should not let the smoke out of the chips.
Kurt- Florida does not have an exclusive on that driver description. They are scattered across the US pretty liberally.
I had a decision to make this afternoon while some glue was drying on a project. I could watch some movie on TV or check if the battery was low on my motorcycle. Sunny and 65 degrees convinced me to crank to motor. A windproof jacket, gloves and my helmet were quickly put on as the engine idled. I rode for about 45 minutes to recharge my battery, but at 70 mph, the wind chill temperature is about 40 degrees. Enough fun of that sort for today!
Rain is predicted Mon. Tues. and Wed, so back to working on flatcar loads. The last couple tarp materials I tried did not turn out well, so I will have to find something else.

Good evening ..

Sherrel ... You mentioned Louis. I wonder if he is okay. I miss his posts.

Willie ... Your scene looks good ! I like the wood chip hopper too.

Tomorrow is when I have the eye surgery that had been postponed . One eye tomorrow. A week
Later, I have surgery on the second eye. If they find a third eye, it will be the following week. o_O

Have a nice evening, everybody.

Dave: The Middlesex Manufacturing Building by Atlas is a replica of one of the structures of the Helm Tobacco Company, in Helmetta, NJ (Middlesex County). The structure still stands and has been converted into residential space. Helm manufactured Snuff, among other things. The complex is along the PRR, PC, Conrail Amboy Secondary Track.
SA-31 at Helmetta February 26 2009 (1) (002).jpg

The prototype building is at the end of the first row, before the bridge. I have one of the kits from the original run, I'm using it for a Chemical Plant. it is partially complete right now. This photo was taken in 2009, before the complex was converted to condos. Helmetta, was a "company town", with company store, and housing. There are also numerous "Sears" Houses there. BTW, you can find a prototype for every one of the residental houses sold by Atlas in Helmetta.

Finally finished wiring the Ford Plant and Penn Steel sidings this afternoon. Took e a while to find the short on the Micro Engineering #5 switch that leads to the two industries. Dremel tool with thin cutting wheel, fixed the problem, a point rail in direct contact with the frog.

#42 arriving Newport News 09-20-1969.jpg

C&O # 42 arriving in Newport News, VA, in September 1969. Second car behind the E8 is a coach painted Blue for the Golden Spick Centenial Special Train. From the Motor back, a 10-6 Sleeper, 52 Seat Coach, Tavern Diner, and Baggage Car.

Boris... Thank you.

Curt .... Thank you too.

one more thought. ... Tomorrow, March 2, is the 50th anniversary of the Burlington Northern merger. I always preferred Chinese Red locomotives instead of Cascade Green locomotives.

Last edited:
. . .
Went to Walthers yesterday for a few items. . . . So I saw that Woodland Scenic has a small, battery hand held vac and so I picked one up at Walters on sale for $19.98. I'll try it later and see how it works. It's small and compact.
Greg - I got one of those Model-Vacs [which I call "micro-vacs"] to use exclusively for reclaiming stray static grass fibers, and to that end it has served me quite well. I keep it within reach when I'm applying static grass so if an excess clump of fibers falls out of the applicator, I just grab the micro-vac and suck-up the stray fibers - them immediately dump the fibers into a reclamation cup. The micro-vac also comes in handy for pulling up freshly sprinkled fibers that are leaned over too much - the suction is strong enough to pull the fibers upright but not break them free of the glue.

An important tip about its battery life: It uses up a standard Duracell 9v battery after a few hours' run time. So now I've started using Lithium 9v batteries - a bit pricey, but they last a long time!

Some action on Bozeman Pass today. MRL SD45's #346 and 355 west bound up the eastern side
1583144188854.png

A nice close-up. One of the spotting items since their repaints int the latest livery is the dropping of the -2XR from the SD45 on the sill
1583144420757.png

At the passing track on the approach to the tunnel, our train takes the siding in the background, while a BNSF passes. The helper group in between are returning after pushing it up the hill. Two 'ACe's with an SD40-2XR in the middle.
1583144743350.png

Putting 2 and 2 together (no explanation provided) it appears that once the west bound BNSF had cleared Bozeman or maybe Belgrade, another BNSF was waiting to move through the tunnel and this is it's tail end Charlie moving past our local on the way down the east side.
1583145345422.png

The local, with a bit of a struggle, get's it's charge moving again
1583145557928.png

It appears the local has passed the GP35 and the tank cars alongside it and reversed it's train (maybe after dropping off other cars elsewhere) in on the other side of those others.
1583146909008.png

And returned to the main, possibly to pick up a return train, or maybe just to go back east again.
1583147079909.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back