Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny
Moles are a problem, but beatable. One solution os to take away the food source. A good grub control will do that. Mu favorite trap is spring loaded and set over a recent tunnel. Slightly collapse the tunnel and set the trap. When the mole comes to the tight spot in the tunnel he will raise up the roof and WHAMO! Molecabobs!

One benefit of bachelorhood, I finally got this off the bench and done! (Except for final cv settings) FB_IMG_1520269783474.jpg

HOWDY , y'all. Yep I'm back. Took the Xfinity tec a little over two hours to repair/replace corroded connections ,wires and put a cover plate over outside wires . Modem was old and an outage killed it.

neK- Your B&M car is in the hands of USPS-First class package- Very EXPENSIVE- $5.31

CHET- Your F E C is also in their hands . $5.09 .

Seeing as I have many pages to catch up on and Deb is even further behind- Will be back later.
Phil

Phil - Thanks for the update on the FEC car. Need to get a few more eastern road names and that one will fit right in. Glad to see you got the modem replaced. Now you have no excuse to be a stranger.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores today then I painted the edge of the concrete pad. I also roughed out the road and lot that will be on the left side and back of the building. I also removed the ballast from the three tracks the road will cross over.

Justin- You're layout looks great. Don't worry about the tinning. There are times I will do something one way and realize I should of done it differently and I will ask myself "Why the heck (really not the word I use:rolleyes:) did I do it that way for?"

Willie- If you are missing the fire ants I have plenty to share with you!

Chet- Go ahead and tease the bears! Were you flying the plane for that rail shot?

Johnny- I looked at the online instructions without success. I would call or email Tichy support.

Karl- Nice looking locomotive.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon. 43 and cloudy right now. Winter storm advisory beginning 1830 tomorrow. 4" to 6" of snow and slush coming. Yippee!

Karl: Awesome locomotive!

Phil: Welcome back to the connected world.

The wife became acquainted with Fire Ants at Pensacola. Nasty little suckers, eh? It's bad enough I live on an ant hill, I'm thankful, that Fire Ants are not tenants.

My favorite way of chasing moles was to stick a fuse into the mole hole and smoke it out. I once had a kitty that was most effective. Now I control grubs. The current cat can't be bothered...

Raritan River Box cars arrived today.

All - thanks for the tips on mole-catching/killing.
Jersey BeachBum - I once had a cat and he was the most effective at eliminating moles - I count two to his credit. But he ran away a couple of years ago, so I am cat-less. You now what's odd - this forum sent an email alerting me to a new post, which was your most recent one above - it had an attachment of those Raritan River Box Cars. But I don't see an attachment in your post above. Wonder what's up?

We have dogs who are extremely good at getting gophers which has been a problem for years. We were surrounded by pastures and fields and the gophers had the run of the place and started digging holes on our lawn. These guys have great noses and the little guy in the left (Freeway) was nick named the "gopher Sheriff" by the grand kids. In one summer he had taken care of 60 of them. They never got interested in the moles.

tug of war.jpg He won the tug of gopher.

Unfortunately we had to put him to sleep last year at 15.

Curt -
I did not take the ariel photo. I do have some dandy shots I took a few years back flying around the area over the old Milwaukee Road right of way, but the tracks are long gone.

I have moles all over my yard. I bought a bag of the grub killer and spread it on the lawn. More moles moved in. I tried that device that stabs them but it rusted out without ever tripping. The fuze smoke things are hard to find around here but don't seem to have any effect. I had a ferrel cat here for a couple years but he wasn't interested in them. I'm thinkin maybe just plow the whole yard with a road grader. That should get them all.

Power just came back on about 15 minutes ago. Turns out, the pine tree that fell over on the power line, yanked the wires hard enough to dislodge a ceramic insulator further down the line and cut out power to this subdivision.
Water heater is warming up. I'll wait a little bit to turn my heating system back on because everybody else on the street is loading the system down with their systems.
Time to get a warm shower the go run some trains.

this forum sent an email alerting me to a new post, which was your most recent one above - it had an attachment of those Raritan River Box Cars. But I don't see an attachment in your post above. Wonder what's up?

Same thing happened to me.

Johnny and Curt: You are not imagining things, the photo did not load properly, so I quickly pulled it. That's a reoccurring problem,I have, that I blame on the Edge browser.

RRRR 03-05-2018.jpg

Let's see if this works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening.

Ken D&J ... glad your power is back

Chet ... apparently, the dachshunds were having fun with the gopher . A real paradox ( pair of dachs ) .

Joe ... those are very nice looking boxcars.

Willie ... That was one storm we will not forget. One of the memories was FEMA sending men to clear broken trees with chainsaws. They sent the men but neglected to send chainsaws. Dumb.

Garry: FEMA is famous for doing goofy stuff. Saw it first hand during the aftermath of Sandy.

Those box cars were among those overbought by short lines looking to cash in on per diem. When the economy did it's Bicentennial Tank, the cars were suddenly no longer in needed. I was involved with the testing of the Amtrak ASEA Motor X995, ("Swedish Meatball"), between Millham (Trenton) and County (New Brunswick), also known as the Race Track. There were Red Raritan River Box cars stored on every unused siding and Raritan River Yard Track as we passed through New Brunswick. Thought the cars were cool, and have been "collecting" them. Have 4 now, a Bev-Bel Athearn, an Accurail, and now the two Genesis. Eventually, under Conrail, I got to manage then run over the territory.

KenVA: Nice to hear your power is back on. Ready for Round 2?

Garry: FEMA is famous for doing goofy stuff. Saw it first hand during the aftermath of Sandy.

Those box cars were among those overbought by short lines looking to cash in on per diem. When the economy did it's Bicentennial Tank, the cars were suddenly no longer in needed. I was involved with the testing of the Amtrak ASEA Motor X995, ("Swedish Meatball"), between Millham (Trenton) and County (New Brunswick), also known as the Race Track. There were Red Raritan River Box cars stored on every unused siding and Raritan River Yard Track as we passed through New Brunswick. Thought the cars were cool, and have been "collecting" them. Have 4 now, a Bev-Bel Athearn, an Accurail, and now the two Genesis. Eventually, under Conrail, I got to manage then run over the territory.

From what I can recall, the ICC set up Incentive Per Diem to solve the box car shortage problem. ... Finance companies purchased the box car and various short line railroads sold rights to us their reporting marks to the finance companies. The boxcar shortage became a boxcar glut in a few years. Many short lines and finance companies were involved. .... Several of the short line railroads had so many boxcars that if paced end to end were longer than their track miles. .. I remember there were blue boxcars for the Pickens Railroad all over the place. ... The ICC abruptly ended to program. Class One railroads returned the cars to the short lines which did not have enough track for them. It was a problem at the time. ....

Below is my incentive per diem boxcar..... The Cadiz Railroad was a local short line here in western KY. It went our of business and was abandoned before we moved here. I think they had 100 to 200 of the boxcars. They did haul auto parts from a Johnson Control factory in town. ... A friend of mine here has about 10 of these boxcars. HE also has some Also S1 switchers he painted and lettered for the Cadiz RR. .... I don't use the car because it is too modern for my era. It was a gift, and that is why I keep it.

39936983324_77d8dece4f_b.jpg

Toot ... I like the video. I actually road on a couple of SP Daylight passenger trains in the Daylught paint scheme, but they had diesels.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 41. We reached our high of 46 earlier this morning, and temps are expected to slide throughout the day. Low at miodnoght is supposed to be around 34, then continue down to about 25 after dawn Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back