Running Bear's June 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greed? Why bring prices down if sales are good?

I bought a dozen Jumbo eggs last week at Redner's for $1.39!

Whatever the market will bear. Capitalism isn't perfect, but it is the best choice we have!
Believe the term for that is Greedflation. Ironically, those most responsible for the "Greedflation", are the ones complaining that the interest rates are not dropping yet. o_O :rolleyes: I have nothing against Capitalism, but I do not like getting gouged.

Egg prices are down, because sales are down, otherwise they would be where they were last winter.

Patrick after I then entered the store I was thinking what did they take. All the expensive tools are locked up. They had 2 55 gallon black trash bags full of something. They were half dragging them on the ground so they must have been heavy. I didn't ask anyone what happened. I guess if you ask someone to open one of the tool bins once unlocked you could just take all that's there. I don't know? I'll be in the store again in a few days I'll ask around. There are a few people I've talked to over the years. I'll ask them. I worry more about my home value than anything else. We live in a nice area. It's in NY but a nice part of the state. If people start stealing everything in sight who would want to move here.
Swal
To be honest I think this is a massive problem everywhere, I put out 73 ducks this year, usually I see if they have been attacked by foxes I have lost 42 since the end of may, I suspect there ar humans involved especially as it is the plain ones not the unusual colours which might attract attention, I have seen 4 lots of feathers and a head (which in itself is unusual) previously a fax attack normally means a few dead one gone, or a badger attack a bite to the bum the bird escapes but the bite kills over a few days, badger normally turn a bird inside out if they catch it, I suspect I am filling someone’s freezer the birds are use to humans many hand reared so easily caught :(
We have had to put the best 20 back in a large netted compound which means they cannot free roam and have a nice summer before bird flu rules pushes them back inside. to be honest it is very disheartening. sn occasional loss is sad,but quick large numbers like 5 in one night does not seem like animals,even a pair of foxes with cubs would not take that many.I think.
A farmer friend says where you have live stock you can guarantuee you’ll have dead stock.:(

Since we moved here locally 2 caravans have been stolen, tools from sheds, I think someone was draining our diesel when prices went up the other said how,when we spoke to the police they said there had been a number of incidents where neighbours were stealing with Gerry cans so the unknowing neighbours was buying in fuel and unwittingly ‘sharing’ with their neighbour but they were paying the costs :(

We have a monitored system, and the Tesla has a surveillance system which covers a door and window to the barn.

When money get tight, people’s morals go out the window. We are very careful, last winter a friend with goats came home one day to find all the tools electric and manual gone. no livestock gone, and home not broken into, she is guessing it is someone who knew the stuff was their, she sells her goats and eggs on the roadside, and is very friendly so loads of people could have seen how easy it was to take the stuff.

Some are junkies,some are hard pressed with kids, sone just use any excuse,,often it’s teenage kids, usually there are sources of help, food banks etc, but these are running very low.I notice in some countries baby milk powder and nappies have risen terribly. Honest people need to be diligent,not leaving anything out as easy pickings, not leaving stuff in cars, locking doors, things we know but sometimes are too busy to follow. The big problem is when people are attacked. I did not realise that the shop are literally hamstrung because their insurance is in jeapody if their staff are instructed to act, :( which means luckily you did not try to stop them as you would have not received support!

Well, to be honest, all the sodium content in the Knorr side dishes should dissuade you from buying them anyway, but I agree...
OK, JeffH, I will give you that: however, at my age and health - only one a week (not even that much) don't think will make much difference. BP is the least of my problems mostly it is too low, 85/52 and HR of 39 to 44. I have been halfing several of my meds just trying to keep everything up into the lower range and have even stopped a couple of them.

Maybe I need a Pacemaker? What do they do?

Arrrrrgh!

Frustration time with the world's longest river company (take a moment, you'll figure out who I mean) hereafter WLR-Co

On all ebook platforms - except ONE (guess which) I can set the price of my ebooks all the way down to FREE!

It's a common practice, with longer series, to set book one to free. Like free samples in Costco. Try it, if you like it there are 9 more books in ther series! (all full price).

Well, knowing I had paid promos in a couple of newsletters coming up Fri and Sat this week, I made sure to get my price set on book 1 to FREE everywhere. Wait for it to go through, then send jump through the hoops at WLR-Co. Send them an email with the ASIN # of the book, and a link to the FREE on another retailer FOR EACH COUNTRY that WLR-Co sets pricing for. All 13 of them.

Service was good from WLR-Co, and I had an email on Thurs last week that most of the price match to free was done:
Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 6.09.24 PM.png

It took until Tuesday Noon of this week to get the final email that the US price was matched. Yay!!!!

Then the Amazon Web Services outage hit. Amazon stayed up, but almost everyone uses AWS.

And now my price on that book - US Only, is back up to the old 99c price.
Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 6.09.07 PM.png

The problem is: I paid about $200ish for those two promotions. The Friday one is willing to delay the promo to another date. These aren't time sensitive, but I'd like at least one to go out.

I'll see if WLR-Co get the price match back in place ... if not, I have to hope the promo for Sat with a different service can be postponed.

Oy Vey!

OK, JeffH, I will give you that: however, at my age and health - only one a week (not even that much) don't think will make much difference. BP is the least of my problems mostly it is too low, 85/52 and HR of 39 to 44. I have been halfing several of my meds just trying to keep everything up into the lower range and have even stopped a couple of them.

Maybe I need a Pacemaker? What do they do?
I don’t know about pacemaker, but I think you got peacemaker covered.

Patrick -- Nice to see that you posted JEFFREY'S avatar there.
As I said, a Running Bear is my spirit animal! It's about 3 weeks to what would have been his 63rd birthday.
I figure I'd use it until then. Remind us all of what we are missing.

As to Aldi's, there are a few items I buy every week, but I do know they're not always the cheapest, especially on everything. I usually get bread, bananas, the premixed salads ($1.50 less at Aldi than Kroger for the same brand), some fresh veggies and fruit. I go past it on my way to and from work, so it's not out of the way. Still cuts the overall bill by a quarter.

Yes, I posted about Trader Joes being part of the Aldi family a year or three ago here in the coffee shop. The wikipedia article sums it up nicel:

My understanding is that they have combined purchasing and stuff in Germany -- Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd combine their purchasing and other back service and product acquisitions and stuff and coordinate in order to save money and that the family/ies are actually working to see if they can combine back together. Aldi stores in Germany, whether run by one or the other, share store brand products and stuff AFAIK. I've only been to Aldi in Germany in the Aldi Süd territory though I did go to Aldi in Denmark -- basically the same as the Aldi I was in in Germany but speaking Danish.

Lidl is another of the exact same sort of store from Germany that has expanded into the US.

When I lived in Germany in the mid-late 80s and again in the early 90s I actively shopped at aldi (80s) and Lidl (90s). Lidl as it was what was in the neighborhood where I lived. In the 80s I mostly shopped Aldi but occasionally Lidl and they were like the same store but the brands on the products were different. Same breadth and types of products with different labels is how it appeared to me.

I do wish we had these stores here in Utah but we don't. I've shopped at Aldi in Florida and visited them in Indiana and elsewhere in my travels "back East".

OK Guys. It's been seven days since the EDICT was posted and I see most folks are ignoring it. It's also been seven days since Tony has been to the Coffee Shop and five days since he has even been on the forum. Even though the post is still there, I consider that it has been walked back without public acknowledgement. So I have made the decision to return from exile and resume posting in my own personal manner. I hope that Karl, Hughie, Tom O, Curt and others reconsider as well, because they may also realize that that post should never have been made.

I still am looking forward to Bob's ruling on this issue and I will abide with whatever it is, although I am hoping that it is "business as usual"

Regarding Tony's disappearance, I do hope that all is well with him and he hasn't had a relapse of his heart issues that removed him from the forum for three years.

Let's get this thing rolling again with a picture of today's tomato harvest.
IMG_3654.JPG

And a train picture of my lower level staging yard.
01-19-20 003.001 (2).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back