Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Within the next 60 days, I'll be in a position to pay off the house at any time. I won't have much left in retirement, but won't have the bank being able to hound me either. No, I need the retirement, but if it goes south, I can at least stay where I am.

No CC bill, no car payments, no school loans, just the house. Man, even that has been hard the past 5 years. 1 month away from the magic 59 1/2 no additional tax hit.

Seriously, I had a neighbor whose family lived in New Jersey, he often gave me NJ grown tomatoes, they were excellent, every bit as good as Maryland. I think almost all tomatoes grown this time of the year are good. Many grocery stores are not as good I think because the produce is picked early to increase shelf life.

Not for nothing, ya know Jersey tomatoes are good, when the Jersey deer eat them just as they are turning... I've managed to pick two, undamaged tomatoes so far this year...not exactly what I anticipated. They ate the damn lettuce too, waiting until it was ripe...
Local supermarkets seem to sell tomatoes and other produce from Canada. Not bad mind you, but when they are in the tomato capital of the world, they should buy local for resale.

Afternoon All,

Today I installed 4 Digitrax UP5's, powered them, tested them and discovered I had 1 UP5 that wouldn't power up and 1 power supply that wasn't working also. I also ran what I could of my pre-existing loconet cables and I still need a 15 ft and a 5 ft one. I should pickup the "new" base station Friday and I'll swing by the LHS to hopefully replace what I need. Tomorrow we're grouting at daughter's house so I may not be in after that.

Justin- Nice to see you back again. Sorry to hear of the family issues.

Willie- Very nice layout pics.

Guy- Unfortunately September here is still hot as Hades and prime time Hurricane season. Nice looking bus.

Joe- Sad about the fire on the ship. The Navy has had some really bad ones in the past and not just on surface ships.

TomO- Sorry to hear about your BIL. Best wishes for your sister, and I totally understand her decision. We have volunteered frequently and ran both yearly book fairs for daughter's (teacher) elementary school for years. Unfortunately based on our age, medical issues (especially my wife's COPD) it looks like those days are done.:(

20200714_111727.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

In a bit of good news. It looks as though my brother will make a recovery from covid. He was lucky enough to ride it out at home. Found out today he is doing alot better. So always a good bit of news. Gonna be an oven here tomorrow. Weather man is calling for a high of 99. Not looking forward to that. This is the part of summer I hate the most. Anyways that's all I have for now.

Not for nothing, ya know Jersey tomatoes are good, when the Jersey deer eat them just as they are turning... I've managed to pick two, undamaged tomatoes so far this year...not exactly what I anticipated. They ate the damn lettuce too, waiting until it was ripe...
Local supermarkets seem to sell tomatoes and other produce from Canada. Not bad mind you, but when they are in the tomato capital of the world, they should buy local for resale.
Joe- nothing like a Jersey Tomato. Sure wish I could get em to grow up here. Not the right climate or soil content. Remember when Progresso did their ad campaign about proudly being based in Vineland & then boasted about using CA tomatoes? Vineland in is Cumberland County- the heartland for Jersey Tomatoes. Many of my family & friends have been boycotting Progresso ever since. I come from a line of 5 generations of tomato farmers. My cousin in WV grows em in his greenhouses high above the Potomac, & then trucks em to my uncles farmland in Hopewell, Shiloh & Greenwich.

Louis, Louis!!. Got a damsel in distress

Morning all,

Another morning of light rain followed by high humidity later today . Temp is only supposed to be 90*, but feels like with be 98*. Tomorrow mid-90's with feels like to 105. Then the bottom drops Friday through next week with temps of 100 to 105 and feels like going to 110*+. Man, I hate summer.

At least the basement is cool!

Boris, I am amazed by how many deer I have seen, even in the city! Maybe they should offer hunting classes in high schools. Like that could happen.

In a bit of good news. It looks as though my brother will make a recovery from covid. He was lucky enough to ride it out at home. Found out today he is doing alot better. So always a good bit of news. Gonna be an oven here tomorrow. Weather man is calling for a high of 99. Not looking forward to that. This is the part of summer I hate the most. Anyways that's all I have for now.
Justin, I don’t envy you working in that heat. I’ve been there, done that. Try to stay hydrated.

I’m glad to hear the good news about your brother. Tell him to take it easy. I hear this virus can flare up again.

Good Morning All. overcast and 79° right now. Radar shows a light shower less than a mile away, however the moisture probably isn't hitting the ground. Mild day yesterday with a high of only 97°; that's the expected high for the next ten days. THI of 105° and the usual heat advisory.

I feel like having a couple of breakfast burritos this morning Flo. Egg, hash browns, cheese and sausage with a bowl full of salsa on the side.

Thanks for the reactions and comments on the layout tour yesterday; Chad, Patrick, Guy, Karl, James, Justin, Tom O, Phil, Louis, Sherrel, Curt, Chet, Garry, Tom.

Life goes on out in the train shed. Painted all of the trim and windows in the DPM structure over the last two days. Also added the sidewalk. and foundation.
07-15-20 001.JPG

07-15-20 002.JPG

A bit of touch up on that back corner where the paint rubbed off while handling and it will be ready for the mortar wash.
Meanwhile the building next door, originally Walther's Gemini Building has come under scrutiny. At some point, the signs either faded or the decals came off.
07-14-20 001.JPG

I had an extra set of decals and successfully made a new "Sparky's Auto Parts" sign, on one side. The decal for the other side disintegrated.
07-14-20 006.JPG

The first of the "Newmans" decals also disintegrated when I tried to use it, so I paused and laid the signs on the roof, for two years. I am still mulling over my options.
This structure which houses the two businesses was an early attempt at detailing a building interior for me.
07-14-20 002.JPG

Unfortunately much of it cannot be seen.
07-14-20 004.JPG

That's when I decided to start looking for scenes on the Internet that I could crop and use instead.

Patrick - You need to hide those tomatoes. Seems like your daughter is getting more than you.
Welcome news on the house payment. Paid mine off in 1995 and spent the money putting three kids through college instead. Paid off in the end as none of them came back home to live with us.
Guy - Nice looking bus. Interesting touch on the power pole. I might try that even though it would never happen in my arid locale.
Joe - Sad about the naval carrier. I'm rooting for the firefighters to get the upper hand sooner rather than later.
Tom O -
everything is better in Maryland!
???????????
Go ahead and buy the GG1. You know that you will. Even if there is no money left after the taxman. I see that you got the "Post Reply" button working again. 😍
Justin - Good news about your brother.

It doesn't matter if your fresh tomatoes are from Maryland, Jersey, Kansas, Wisconsin or Texas. If they're fresh from the garden, they're many steps above the consumer-grown ones from the grocery store.
OK procrastinators, today is the delayed tax day. Pay up so we can all get another stimulus check!
Speaking of stimulus checks, Congress needs to eliminate that unemployment kicker except in special circumstances. My youngest neighbors, 48 & 50, have both been on unemployment since the pandemic started in March. They are living proof of what is wrong with the system. They both had good jobs, he as a foreman in a heavy truck repair shop and she as a nurse in a doctors office. They have both been called back to work, but have chosen to stay home and draw the unemployment checks instead. No initiative there. Since Texas cannot cross-reference those called back who do not respond (too high of a volume) and they have waived the "looking for work" requirement, they have no reason to go back. I spoke with him yesterday and pointed out that all of that "free money" is going to be taxable income next tax season, that they currently have no withholding on. Whoops! He didn't know that. He expects that their jobs will still be there when the checks stop, maybe. Meanwhile neither has a retirement account either.
Oh well! Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and cool.

Attachments

• 07-14-20 001.JPG
    07-14-20 001.JPG
    456.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Good to hear. My nephew and his wife both have it and are at home dealing with it. He's in good shape, He's late forties maybe 50, and in good shape, but you never know. They took precautions unlike most of the Covidiots in the south, and got it anyway.

Good morning .

Willie ...... The refrigerators in the appliance store are cool. Exteriors of buildings look good too.

Curt .... Your layout construction is looking great.

Yesterday's appointment went well. I have a dental appointment Friday. Then next four weeks 2 medical appointments per week. Various issues to take care of. ..... Diagnosis: Too many birthdays.

35439148610_9df9560277_b.jpg

Good to hear. My nephew and his wife both have it and are at home dealing with it. He's in good shape, He's late forties maybe 50, and in good shape, but you never know. They took precautions unlike most of the Covidiots in the south, and got it anyway.
Alan, I wish your nephew and his wife well.

That is the problem, most masks do not protect the wearer. Only a true N95 mask can protect the wearer and they are nearly impossible to find. For other masks to be effective everybody must wear one, otherwise we are all vulnerable. Unfortunately, some think they have a right not to wear a mask. I think they are exercising their right to be selfish.

I really hate wearing a mask, but I do, for the sake of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back