Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, y'all.

Yesterday, my wife had an infusion treatment, so I drove her over to Little Silver, and dropped her off...added bonus, the center is adjacent to the coast Line, so I got to see an ALP powered bi-level enroute to NYC. Because of Covid considerations, I couldn't hang out so I drove home, then went out and had my hair cut, first time in 4 months, When the wife was ready, I drove back over and picked her up. That's the most driving I have done since February, over a hundred miles.

Garry: Happy the surgery went well. Best wishes for a quick recovery, and for the second surgery to go equally well.

Patrick: No one wants to accept responsibility, or acknowledge that someone other than themselves, is qualified to work on their product.

I had an 81 Chevette, which was amazing, in what I could do with it. I hated that car, and couldn't wait to replace it, but couldn't destroy it, no matter how hard I tried. Biggest mistake I made, was to trade it in for a 1985 Chrysler LeBarron K, which was a genuine P.O.S. Some things are worse than others.

Sept 9 1978 @ Croxton, NJ.jpg

Croxton, NJ (EL). in 1978.
RDG # 9124 + 2_Oreland, PA_June 15 1968.jpg

Rebuilt and air conditioned, three car RDG MU at Oreland, PA,1968. Note cars in lot, and station details.

morning from the liberal left!
FLO - please have Mel make me one of his "garbage omelets" this morning. Did Patrick or Willie leave any additional homemade salsa sauce? I'll have a coke to go with that!

Hughie, Johnny - good to see you back! Sorry to hear about the age and medical problems.
GARRY - Certainly glad to hear that your procedure has worked out well - may the same apply for your other eye!
I have a neighbor down the street who was not lucky at all. He got an infection and lost the sight of his eye - and that scares me! Found out that the doctor was not sterilizing his tools properly and resulted in 4-5 other people losing an eye as well! They have a multi-million class action going on him - but all the money in the world will not give him back his eyesight.

WILLIE - Thanks for the CF-7 photo! I don't know why, but I just really like those critters ... right up there with the RS-1's.

Patrick - Your reply about the service department is a classic! I can never think on my feet that fast - always comes to mind long afterward.

RANT! Yesterday, for me was a rough one. Didn't sleep well at all - then the later than usual CT Scan totally disrupted my eating schedule which made me thirsty and hungry which succeeded in giving me a headache - then driving home I felt like everyone was trying to kill me; idiots driving 85-95 MPH weaving in and out of traffic and cutting off others ... Just because there is a lack of police giving tickets. I think they are all on WEED!

A bit of good news: Spousal Unit's surgery appears to be on for Friday - she goes for her Covid test in about an hour. She has been told that she will be out Saturday morning - if no complications.

In other happenings it appears that youngest daughter here is pregnant! They have been trying the adoption route for quite a while - maybe that is what triggered it? Her husband has been almost begging for them to have a baby - I hope it is a boy!

JOE - Congrats on the hirecut - my wife does hair from home - and she hasn't cut mine in two months!

A bit of Trivia for today!
On July 28, 1929, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, who served as the First Lady from 1961 to 1963, was born in Southampton, New York.

I think they are all on WEED!

Sherrel - I laughed when I read that. - Weed is legal in Canada, and you can smoke your brains out if you are so inclined. All kinds of people are driving stoned, and I don't think the cops know how to deal with it. - My neighbor smokes outside his garage, with the remnants filtering over the fence to my yard. My wife was wearing a bandana in the garden long before the virus hit. We can hardly stand it! But, I don't call bylaw officers on people. I'm just hoping he gets caught driving stoned. He's an a-@#*%.

Karl - Love the photos you are posting. You can always tell a film photo off from the digital. The colors are odd.

Willie - That's the quickest railcar build I've ever seen. Do you sleep? By the way, the only similarity my on-existent layout has to your wonderful, exciting, rail system, is that I own the same SS ruler.

Chadbag - I didn't know Stalin was even married! Who would touch that thing!? He must have hit her on the head.

Boris - I've always liked the photos you dig up. The depot beside the 60's convertible is a beauty.

I'm very sorry and sad to hear so many are having health issue's; I'm also very sad to hear of some family passing. Normally, I don't like to talk about such things, but, I do feel for you and pray/wish you the best.

There was a sensational thunder, lightning, wind, and pelting rain storm last night. Started about 10:00pm. This morning it is gone, but, there are many trees down around the neighborhood. Some folks have much clean-up to do today. Fortunately, it is a very pleasant day to do that type of work. My power never went out, but some had no power for 6hrs.
I removed the older, large trees from my yard last year. I knew it was only a matter of time before they came down on the house.

Believe I'll have a soft-toasted, bacon/trout wrap for lunch; along with a vanilla shake. I like those. And it's a nice, overcast day at 68F. Perfect!

Here is another photo of the National Silica installation. I can tell by the outhouse that National Silica thinks their workers, are just workers. I'd rather go in the bush.
WtCrt_07-28-2020 (11).jpg

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

morning from the liberal left!
FLO - please have Mel make me one of his "garbage omelets" this morning. Did Patrick or Willie leave any additional homemade salsa sauce? I'll have a coke to go with that!

Hughie, Johnny - good to see you back! Sorry to hear about the age and medical problems.
GARRY - Certainly glad to hear that your procedure has worked out well - may the same apply for your other eye!
I have a neighbor down the street who was not lucky at all. He got an infection and lost the sight of his eye - and that scares me! Found out that the doctor was not sterilizing his tools properly and resulted in 4-5 other people losing an eye as well! They have a multi-million class action going on him - but all the money in the world will not give him back his eyesight.

WILLIE - Thanks for the CF-7 photo! I don't know why, but I just really like those critters ... right up there with the RS-1's.

Patrick - Your reply about the service department is a classic! I can never think on my feet that fast - always comes to mind long afterward.

RANT! Yesterday, for me was a rough one. Didn't sleep well at all - then the later than usual CT Scan totally disrupted my eating schedule which made me thirsty and hungry which succeeded in giving me a headache - then driving home I felt like everyone was trying to kill me; idiots driving 85-95 MPH weaving in and out of traffic and cutting off others ... Just because there is a lack of police giving tickets. I think they are all on WEED!

A bit of good news: Spousal Unit's surgery appears to be on for Friday - she goes for her Covid test in about an hour. She has been told that she will be out Saturday morning - if no complications.

In other happenings it appears that youngest daughter here is pregnant! They have been trying the adoption route for quite a while - maybe that is what triggered it? Her husband has been almost begging for them to have a baby - I hope it is a boy!

JOE - Congrats on the hirecut - my wife does hair from home - and she hasn't cut mine in two months!

A bit of Trivia for today!
On July 28, 1929, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, who served as the First Lady from 1961 to 1963, was born in Southampton, New York.

Sherrel- a friend of mine & her husband in NC went through the whole IVT process, wiping out their savings & maxing our their credit cards. Ended up getting pregnant “the old fashioned way”.

Good afternoon from the middle, good old swing state, Wisconsin. Nice out but just finished painting closets #2 and 3 of 9. #1 needs to be put back together and now she who must be listened to, decided, I was right! The shelving has to go back in the same spots to allow for correct distance between to hang clothes. Had to go to the hardware store for new wall fasteners and would not have had to patch all those holes on Monday. It’s fine rather she find out now then when we get to the big closet.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Good Afternoon all. I'm thinking maybe a BLT with a vanilla malted. Off and on showers here in H-Town.
Thank you for your condolences.
Willie - the way I see it is with a laptop I can go anywhere in the house and use it. With that said, I have a desktop, 2 laptops, 2 tablets, 2 old laptops stashed in a closet just in case.
Bunker - Welcome, this is a pretty great bunch of folks.
I have not yet committed to rebuilding my layout. HD here does do curbside so that's probably the way to go. Maybe there will be a vaccine by the time I make up my mind. (No real hurry)
LATER - STAY SAFE, STAY AWAY and STAY APART. (Wash your mitts)🤲

Afternoon All,

Today I got the last plywood sheet down and leveled. After that I laid out a 27 inch radius line around the module (I thought it would be 28 inch but it didn't fit on the aisle side) then figured out where the RH and TT would be placed. After lunch I cut out the location for the TT pit. Darn it I just remembered I wanted to run a buss extension for the TT tracks (so the area can be isolated to reduce noise), the end sheet of plywood will have to come off again. Not sure if I'll get anything done on Thursday or Friday.

We just found out yesterday that starting Friday the boys will be here (weekdays) until they physically go back to school. Daughter has to return to her school (teacher) to be trained in online teaching. On the 10th the boys start online learning and on the 24th they physically go to school. That's the current plan but I have a feeling our house will be the school after someone gets sick at their schools. The issue is that it's a constant fight to get them to do their school work and both boys will lie to our face about being done. It's extremely aggravating.

Chet- There will be a lot of elevaton, but I will be using WS risers (what I used last time). I never learned how to do the wood risers so I just stayed with what I know, plus I already have them in hand. Great layout pics.

Hughie- I am very sorry to hear of your family members and friends passing.

Karl- Interesting photos.

Garry- I'm glad the surgery went well.

Willie- Nice job on the hopper and layout shots.

Joe- Nice pictures.

Sherrel- Congrats to your youngest daughter.

Guy- Another nice photo that can be used to model from.

20200729_101949.jpg

20200729_123244_copy_1612x1209.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon everyone! Gearing up for a long night tonight. Planning to stay up and watch NASA launch their new Mars Rover tomorrow, and the prelaunch activities begin later tonight.

After working several hours today, I had to burn off some angry energy, so I spent a couple therapeutic hours beginning to scratch build the winterization hatch for my GP9. Just need to find some suitable material to make the grates out of (I've heard certain triangular tea bags work well, and I've got them at work!) and I think it'll do the job! Forgive the picture. It was incredibly hard to photograph the white polystyrene on a dark background, and it blew out all the detail. After which, I tore the locomotive down and dropped the body in a Denatured Alcohol bath to soak (I read somewhere on this forum the other day that denatured alcohol makes a fairly suitable paint stripper, especially for Atlas models, so I figured I'd give it a go.

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

Still working on only cheap models for now. Figured I'd build my skill up a bit first before tackling something worth any real money. I bought this model off a neighbor for $20.

Sherrel: Congratulations to your daughter! It's amazing how you try and try, and get nowhere, then try the way god intended and it works! I'm sorry you had a rough day. I've had several days like that recently, and it leaves you just feeling beat and miserable. Hope you have a better night tonight. Also, good luck to your spouse. Hope the surgery goes well!

Curt: It is so incredibly difficult to keep children on task, especially at home surrounded by distractions. I work at a school in IT, and it is tough enough to keep kids on task using their iPads. I can't even imagine keeping them in control at home. I wish you the best of luck.

Hughie: Thank you! I haven't had such a warm reception to an online group in a very long time. Everyone on this forum is wonderful, and I'm so happy I joined in on the fun!

Tom: Unfortunately that is how it has to be on occasion. Sometimes it's not worth the argument, and the best way is to let them learn for themselves what you already foresaw. Happy to hear it at least isn't too difficult to go back to the way it was.

Howdy ...

Boris, Willie, Curt, Sherrel, and anybody I missed... Thanks for your kind remarks about my cataract surgery . I am very pleased with first eye and am looking forward to the second one.

Willie ...If you are in need of cataract surgery, do not delay it. Also, make sure you have it done by a top notch eye surgeon.. I am paying extra for toric lenses, and based on the first eye, it is a very good decision. ... Regarding your tracks being close to the edge, that is too risky. You don’t want a derailed train to fall to the floor. My fascia is higher than the rails which provides a protective fence.

Sherrel ..... I hope your wife’s surgery is successful.... That is very sad about the man who lost his eye because of an infection. I am having mine done by a high quality eye surgeon at Vanderbilt Eye Institute which is part of Vanderbilt University Hospital in Nashville, TN. That is the best available in this region. Risks of such an infection are very small. Congrats on your daughter expecting a baby.

Hey Joe. My daughter and her family are leaving Friday, headed for the State of New Jersey. They're going to the southern part near Philadelphia, specifically to Marlton near Cherry Hill. Against my advice by the way. They are driving. Is there likely to be any issues with them having Texas license plates going into your state? They are leaving Friday. They will mainly be staying with my SIL's parents both in Marlton and their beach house somewhere near by.

Hey Joe. My daughter and her family are leaving Friday, headed for the State of New Jersey. They're going to the southern part near Philadelphia, specifically to Marlton near Cherry Hill. Against my advice by the way. They are driving. Is there likely to be any issues with them having Texas license plates going into your state? They are leaving Friday. They will mainly be staying with my SIL's parents both in Marlton and their beach house somewhere near by.
If it's like NY 2 week quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back