Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

A little thunder stormy this morning, but not yet much rain here. Up to 4" north of us in the next county. Going to be hot and humid later today.

Brought some tomatoes to the office and it seems like they take forever to begin to ripen and then you have more than you know what to do with. At least they're the size you can use on a sandwich, about 3-4" in diameter. I haven't had them that big in over 10 years. I think I finally got the soil right. While I still have some blossom end rot, it's not every tomato.

Willie: I did make your salsa and it is good. Thank you for sharing. Which reminds me I need to get some chips as I've run out and have way too much salsa in the fridge.

Well an interesting day yesterday. I had a nice long weekend, came into work as normal around 7am, noticed one of the company trucks was missing. I checked with my guys and everyone said it was here Friday evening when they all left. Looking around, we saw a section of chain link fence was cut out. Someone had cut the fence, got in the truck (locked, no broken glass in the area) hot wired the truck (all 3 sets of keys are in the office) and drove through the fence. So the day was spent with the police filling out reports, emails and calls from everyone at my corporate offices, then filling out statements to forward up. Here's the kicker, this happened on a active duty military base. The base perimeter fence was cut open. That takes some balls!!!!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 74°. Mornings are getting cooler, and afternoon highs are staying in the low 90's. Kind of nice for July. Rain still in the forecast for tomorrow morning, 55% at dawn!
Another successful day yesterday, processing tomatoes. Made another three quarts of spaghetti sauce with 100% seal success.
07-21-20 007.JPG

As usual, I used garden grown tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, rosemary and oregano. Alas, Kroger provided the salt and black pepper because I haven't figured out how to produce my own yet. Didn't need to add any sugar to this batch because of the sweetness of the tomatoes that I used. I could make more than that but my patience for working with tomatoes usually wears thin after about 90 minutes.
After that I cooked a rack of spare ribs for supper. And in keeping with the tomato theme, I made baked tomatoes stuffed with extra sharp cheddar, asiago, and mozzarella cheeses; along with some bacon bits and basil.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the last of the current crop of layout pictures: Steven, James, Guy, Alan, Chad, Phil, Justin, Tom O, Patrick, Joe, Chet, Garry, Curt, Tom, Sherrel, Rick, Jerome, Louis.

A couple of eggs sunny side up and a handful of bacon this morning Flo.

After a long afternoon in the kitchen, I was able to spend some time in the train shed yesterday. I made some progress on the railroad museum display track. Added ground foam to the ballasted track and hairpin fence that I have been slowly adding over the past few days.

07-21-20 001.JPG

07-21-20 002.JPG

07-21-20 003.JPG

I showed the construction of a DPM kit last week or so, here it is alongside the other one that I had.
07-21-20 004.JPG

Because they are different colors, and they are on different levels facing different aisles, it won't be noticeable that they are the same kit. Then I realized that I actually have a third one in a totally different location.
07-21-20 005.JPG

Their kits are very versatile.

Tom O - I don't know whether or not the Walther's rebate program is still in effect. My LHS owner retired about five years ago. I do remember that he said that it pertained to items in their quarterly flyer, I do not know whether it applied to online sale items.
Alan - I somewhat agree that the trading post might be a little out of place there, but that's currently the only spot that I have for it. That could and probably will change once I develop some of my other blank plywood areas.
Garry - Beautiful lake/sunset picture.
Sherrel -
I'm going upstairs and see if I can find the comet -- still haven;t seen it
Well that's the problem. You have to go outside to see a comet! ;)

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning Everybody!

I have been busy the last few days. I am a little fatigued and not yet at my best.

I went to the Chevy dealer Saturday to buy brake fluid and ended up with a new vehicle. I traded my Chevy City Express for a new Chevy Equinox. The incentives were too good to pass up and now I do not have to do the brake job on the old van!

I skimmed through the posts I missed, mostly looking at the pictures. I hope all is well with Everybody. If I missed anything, forgive me.

Have a great day Everybody!

Willie: I see your scale people are keeping social distancing while dining out. Nice photos.

Louis: No resistance I see...;) Good luck with it.

Jerome: You got that right...really takes balls. Why would they want one of your company trucks?

For all the hype, yesterday wasn't as hot as Sunday, and the humidity never went above 44% May not get to 90 today...

B&O # 171 getting orders at JD Sept 1970.jpg

B&O #171 getting Right Over orders at JD

MormacBay Launch June 1960.jpg

Launching Day. On a personal note, I went on board during the pre delivery open house, then in 2005, I saw it on the James River Fleet at Ft. Eustis.

Good morning from a chilly deck in Wisconsin. Wow, what a difference, 66 now and it was 60 when I got out here an hour ago. Severely clear skies, sunny is very bright, a heck of a breeze and it turns around this afternoon into severe T-storms. Not much going on, the daily walk, watching the ladies walk the dogs, checking the trainroom at least 3 times and lamenting the fact we cannot do a day trip.
It is all fine though, enjoy your day. A project I have been working on, weathering the roll on/off dumpsters. 2 of the effect I am trying to get from online , being used just for ideas and then my 6 candidates. TomO
1AE46FD6-0F9F-44AA-BA13-50B84F9C7ED8.jpeg

2665722E-7190-45B3-94FA-CE82229B50DF.jpeg

E724F43C-69CC-4B71-B397-CEC641EC5027.jpeg

Boris, all I intended to do was to say hello to my salesmen on the way to the parts department. I am an easy mark. Show me on paper how much money I can save, and it is downhill from there. Any savings well over $10,000 makes it a steep slope!

I had no intention of buying an Equinox, but after driving it, I loved it and it has more than enough cargo space for me to do Amazon. I never thought I would like all these “bells and whistles”. The more I learn how all these electronic gadgets and gizmos work the more I am enjoying them!

Maybe best of all, when the wholesalers call me with a deal on a pallet load, I can tell them in all honesty; “I can’t pick it up”. I can make good money on those pallet loads, but It is too much work for me. I opened a can of worms buying the pallet load of Craftsmen tools.

I need to remember I am disabled, and Amazon is physical therapy. Most anything else is just not a good idea for me.

Now I have a shinny new tool box, full of shinny new tools that I may never use.

Worst of all, I sat on the back porch a few weeks ago before the heat wave and cleaned most of the corrosion of the old tools. The Snap-On tools look brand new. I even vacumed the old tool box out and made new drawer liners.

Well that's the problem. You have to go outside to see a comet! ;)

WILLIE: The upstairs master bedroom has a wall of windows which face North. It gives a clear view over the rooftops of the surrounding homes. It was clear enough last evening that the LA area city lights could be seen on the horizon above the surrounding mountains to the Northwest; however, I still did not see the comet - giving up - I will just enjoy the photographs of others.

While I am thinking - IMO an older 40 foot boxcar with running board and the map on the side would look better at the museum? I like the zebra stripes and the fence - very nice.

CURT - I really like that photo of the benchwork - looks as if you have created a masterpiece. Nice Work!

LOUIS - My mom did that once that I can remember - Needed new tires - bought a new car!
I told her that she was wasting my inheritance!

Now I have a shinny new tool box, full of shinny new tools that I may never use.

Worst of all, I sat on the back porch a few weeks ago before the heat wave and cleaned most of the corrosion of the old tools. The Snap-On tools look brand new. I even vacumed the old tool box out and made new drawer liners.

If you have a tool that is badly rusted.....soak it in white vinegar for 24 hours.....then wipe clean. Repeat if needed.

Willie: I see your scale people are keeping social distancing while dining out. Nice photos.

Louis: No resistance I see...;) Good luck with it.

Jerome: You got that right...really takes balls. Why would they want one of your company trucks?
Boris, not real sure. It's a 14 year old Ford, nothing special really. The MP's were very surprised someone would cut open the fence for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back