Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUY - The Tractor Doesn't look too bad on the outside? Actually, The tyres look very good - certainly not 20 years old!
Good project - after all it is summer up there and good temperatures to be working on metal objects outside - not when it is 20F below and your fingers stick to the wrenches!

Sherrel - Believe it or not, that tractor is a 1995 Massey-Ferguson with 2600hrs on the engine. All of those hours were run during it's time with my company, mowing road-right-of-ways. I parked it on my friends farm in 2000 when I closed the company, and he never did use it. He had big dreams, but, inevitably just let it rot sitting in the forest. Then he phoned me last week, telling me he had to declare bankruptcy and he wanted to give the tractor back to me before it was scooped in legal affairs. Now, it's sitting in my backyard waiting for considerable TLC.

- And you don't have to worry much about the fingers touching a wrench at -20. Although, I strongly advise against sticking you're tongue on a wrench in those temperatures.

Good Morning, Everyone! 55F here with a cloudless blue sky; expecting to get a high of 70ish. There was a whopper of a storm that blew through last night, dumping a lot of rain in a hurry. I'm hearing there was some flooding, here and there. Just the usual summertime stuff.
My home will never flood, as I'm high and sitting on about a hundred feet of sand. The lower town, down by the rivers, is definitely sitting on a flood plain. It is the reason that I never looked at the less expensive property down below, and bought on the hill.

Willie - Every morning, I look forward to your wonderful posts. I'm consistently surprised how extensive the layout is. It's easy to tell by today's photos, that dusting such a large layout must be an ongoing issue.
I really like the Import Motors. There is a very similar building here in Mayerthorpe, the next town over. It is an automotive repair shop. That town looks like it might be going ghost; the main street is boarded up for the greater part.

I have not heard of a single case of Covid in my small town. Haven't even heard of a case in the entire MD of Woodlands. It is business as usual for the most part. Makes me think that our town is just a satellite, apart from the civilized world.

Today's photo has nothing to do with modelling; and everything to do with a real pain in the rear. It's a photo of the Little Red Tractor that came home after 20yrs away. It's my tractor, that I bought new and used in business in the mid-90's, mowing lease roads and MD road right-of-ways. It made me a lot of moola at the time.
Now it's come home, because the fella I sold it to went bankrupt, and couldn't deal with it. So he gave it back to me. Now I have to fix it, and sell it again. And it is in ruff shape, after being away for twenty years.
I'm thinking that I might fix it, and put it back to work. Why not! Nobody bugs you on a tractor!
View attachment 115259
Anyway, I suppose that's enough wasting you're time!
Have a great day, everyone!
If it's not internet connected, has simple electronics, do it

Howdy .

Sherrel and Joe ... Thanks for the good wishes. My oral surgery went very well. Better than other tooth extractions I have had in the past.

34987245144_79df6a4705_b.jpg

Good morning gang!

Flo my dear, I'm thinking its a biscuits and gravy kind of morning, I need something to stick to my ribs. I've got to work from 8 til 2, then I'm staying in the basement until dark. Its too hot out there and the grass can wait.

Garry, glad to hear the surgery went well.

I'm on the fence about loco here. I want a Reading T1 in American Freedom train scheme. The question is BLI or Precision Scale. Both are DCC and sound, but does anyone have any idea or experience with either?
Img0233editDY.jpg
Gotta get to work,,,,,,be back later!

does anyone have any idea or experience with either?

Karl: I have the BLI Reading T-1, painted in working Reading scheme. This is not the most recent offering, but it ran well last I used it. Guess I should dig it out and let it run.

I actually had cab time on the 2100, twice during AFT days. Longest trip, Belmont, (Philadelphia), to Aberdeen, when it was going for display at APG.
That ride had a bonus, the dork, Ross Rowland was not present. :rolleyes:

Garry: Great news. Oral surgery is generally uncomfortable. Like the "Q" F units.

I reassembled the RDG GP35 yesterday. All that remains is the couplers and substitute fireman's side handrails. Looks like a test run later today.
With the heat building to traditional summer levels, I don't plan on spending much time outside.

Good morning from the deck in So. Central Wisconsin. Today’s heat index will be 110 and we know our forecasting gurus are seldom wrong. Lol...

it’s muggy but the occasional breeze is nice. My wife says we have indoor stuff to do. That means a concentrated cleanup on something! Other then that with no plans. Enjoy your day. TomO

One of the things I did to tidy up the train room was to put stage skirting under the shelf layout. I think it helps “float” the layout.

F271137A-FD2C-48CB-8E8C-828383D4349E.jpeg
C63F7405-F655-42D2-ABBA-881F2BE4417F.jpeg

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone. Clear, sunny, and warm at 76°. At least there's a minor breeze this morning.
Took a break from mowing yesterday, same today I think. Instead I manhandled the weedeater for a while. I noted when I was adding chemicals to the pool, that I will have to add some water in the next couple of days. Due to the timely (and untimely) rains this spring/summer, I haven't had to add any yet. Had to drain some off a few times though.

What's the Special of the Day? Flo. Full House Mexican Breakfast Burritos, huh! OK, I'll take two one with a bunch of spicy salsa on the side. Still trying to lose that extra pound from last week.

Thanks for all of the reactions and comments yesterday; Jerome, Guy, Sherrel, Phil, Garry, Karl, Louis, James, Joe, Chet, Tom.

The layout cleanup project continues. I dusted off a few more structures as I rounded the turnback curve on the peninsula. Not forgetting about the simultaneous CUP, I attached and ballasted the section of display track at the museum. Pictures later.
Meanwhile I also got some better closeup pictures of several businesses.
07-18-20 006.JPG

Bea's Liquor is as I posted yesterday, a Grandt Line section house. The bag in the patron's arm, is actually a very small block of wood painted brown.
Joe's Radio is made from DPM wall components. Nothing special, just a scene filler that would likely be here.
07-18-20 001.JPG

Next over are a couple of shots of Import Motors.
07-18-20 002.JPG

07-18-20 003.JPG

The next business over is a "hod rod" garage. The kit is another DPM kit known as Shultz's Garage.
07-18-20 005.JPG

As you can see, I haven't made it down this far with the cleaning and dusting. Eventually, this structure is going to be part of a "scenic eye candy" scene. I have a bunch of detail items that I intend to add to the few that are already scattered about.

Guy - Thanks for the additional comments. Cleaning the layout could be daunting if undertaken all at once, that's why I do it in scheduled quarterly spurts. As I go through this section, I am beginning to think that the last vacuuming on this section was not as thorough or consistent as it should have been. There is more than the normal 2 year accumulation of dust in some places. I do not really have a dust problem normally.
Looks like you have your hands full for the next few weeks with that tractor, although it doesn't really look to be in bad shape from the picture.
Garry - Like you, I chose implants rather than dentures. never had any issues with the work that my oral surgeon performed. I never had to take any of the prescription narcotic pain killers that he prescribed. It just pisses me off that I pay the same for teeth cleaning as if I had a full mouth of real teeth!
Joe - Testing doesn't fix anything. I truly think that it is being used as a political tool. Your governor is desperately trying to compete for publicity with his more well-known neighboring governor.
Sherrel -
Last measurable moisture was 5mm on D-DAY
Has CA gone the metric system now? Wouldn't surprise me!
Tom - Best wishes for Sienna. She'll get over the Cone of Shame.

Today is National Caviar Day. That's just overrated liverwurst made with fish eggs!
Everybody have a great day and an even more wonderful weekend.

Good morning gang!

I'm on the fence about loco here. I want a Reading T1 in American Freedom train scheme. The question is BLI or Precision Scale. Both are DCC and sound, but does anyone have any idea or experience with either?
Img0233editDY.jpg
Gotta get to work,,,,,,be back later!
Karl, they're both the same engine, made by the same company. Precision Scale (Precision Craft?) is the Loksound-equipped version. The BLI will have the Paragon 2 or Paragon 3 sound decoder, and smoke. I don't know if the Loksound-equipped version has smoke. It is an older release, so may have some better things going for it, like a rear headlight on the tender.

Good morning. Have a bit of catching up to do. I've kept my self busy working out in the shop. Had to put a few engines back together now that I have the valves and valve seats in hardened steel do deal with the unleaded gas and only have a few left to change the fuel lines to stainless steel as some of the ones I'll be keeping still have rubber hoses as part of the fuel system.

We have been warm up into the mid to upper 80's but nothing like some of you guys have had to put up with. I did finally have to start watering the
lawn though. Just finished setting the rain birds a bit ago.

Terry - They sure are putting you through a lot of BS over those license plates. Thankfully we don't have anything like that. The cars we own are all over 10 years old so we can but a permanent sticker to put on the plate and do NOT have to renew the plates every year. My classic cars and in face my pickup all qualify for "Antique Aoto" tags which also do not have to be renewed each year.

Mike - sorry to hear about your buddy and his wife contracting Covid-19. The recovery rate is 99.96 percent. Hopefully they recover shortly.

Willie - Excellent photos again. Like the liquor store. Those wide shots are good but I do understand that they are hard to take. I have the same trouble at home and at the club. I won't get tested for the virus as it is just another way for the government to get your DNA, not that I've done anything.

Joe - Can't believe the sign you mentioned about quarantine if you've entered from another state. How manypeople commute from NNJ to work ing NY or live in NJ and work in Philly. Someone has their head planted deeply where the sun don't shine. I see a lot of tourists coming through our area and it could be responsible for the spike in cases. I don't think the BHR has much of a future. It's toast in more than one way. They were talking about temperatures being over 2000 degrees and with the fire lasting as long as it did, Anyone that has ever been inside a naval ship has seen all of the cables running through the passageways and they would have been melted and with those temperatures I am sure that there will be some warping of the steel. The ship was commissioned in 1998 so she's no spring chicken. 30 years is the average service life of naval ships with a few exceptions.

Louis - As usual, like your photos. Like that Pennsy Alco unit.

As I mentioned the other day, out dipshit governor put a mask mandate for the state with the increasing Covid-19 cases. Our county sheriff as well as a lot of other county sheriffs have stated that they won't do anything about it. It's not a law, but a mandate and that they done have the time or man power to enforce a non-law. Unfortunately they only report the positive cases and deaths. No mention of how many recovered. If a person has died in a car accident and test positive for the virus that cause of death is listed as the virus. That's what happens when the government pays for the virus cases.
thumbnail_FB_IMG_1595087218285.jpg

Jim - Sweet looking Dodge.

Tom - Like the photos as usual. Like the light weathering on the locomotive.

Garry - Like those F units.

I will be heading over to the club in Livingston tonight. Hope to get some decent photos.

Here's my photo for the day.

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1594808478336.jpg

Later

Morning all,

Updating servers and firewalls has been a challenge thus far. A couple of them fighting with me, but they're gonna lose. Note to technology: Never fuss with the user with the creator password.....lol. In all honesty it is taking a little longer. Not that was expected as I missed the May update and was almost into the August one. I was still busy yesterday, but not train related, the 8 year old clothes dryer has been acting up and found the 2 parts it needed were at the cheapest online $500, but made of unobtainium, so I spent the day tracking down a new one. Still spent $500 on the new one with less electronics. They kept pushing a dryer with WiFi capabilities. Why do you need to control a dryer in the basement with an app? It doesn't unload itself and fold, nor does it take the laundry from the washer and loads itself. What's the point. Need an app to tell you it's done so you don't walk downstairs to check, but spent more time at the gym on a treadmill? Ok I'm done. LOL

Heat advisory again for today with the temp of 97* with a feels like exceeding 110*. Welcome to the sauna.

Good Morning Fellow Model Railroaders....sunny, humid and hot with strong storms in the forecast.

Home from the cabin since the Mrs. doesn't like the warm weather and get struck in the cabin. At the cabin I did play one of my favorite slot machines and kept my winning streak in tack. Over the period of five visits I only lost $4.00 during one visit and the rest were winners. Not huge wins, but enough to purchase an engine!!!

Since I can't go to a hobby shop, I ordered a Milwaukee, Racine & Troy caboose to go with my loco, gondola and box car all lettered for the MR&T. I got hooked on the layout after a visit to Kalmbach's headquarters and saw the MR&T in person. Jim Hediger was our tour host and we saw most of the MR project railroads as well. An afternoon well spend.

It's down to the layout after lunch. First time in awhile.

Chet:
I like your road kill sign. Have fun at the Livingston Model Railroad Club.

1595089507606.png

Kidding aside, we lost a brother in law to the virus, but the virus cause him to get an infection which caused a stroke and then death, but still listed the cause of death as the COVID-19.

Planning on backing a eight car coal unit train through my reverse loop. Works with the short ore cars and we'll see what happens with the coal cars and six axle locomotive.

So much for now.....

Greg

#########################

Joe - Testing doesn't fix anything. I truly think that it is being used as a political tool. Your governor is desperately trying to compete for publicity with his more well-known neighboring governor.
Willie: You are so right about our governor...but he has an ego that rivals the man in the White House, so you can imagine how Andrew Cuomo's popularity must bug him. Murphy is the second governor who was an ex CEO at Goldman....(Corzine)....Doesn't say much for Goldman's selection process, eh?

Joe - Can't believe the sign you mentioned about quarantine if you've entered from another state. How many people commute from NNJ to work ing NY or live in NJ and work in Philly. Someone has their head planted deeply where the sun don't shine. I see a lot of tourists coming through our area and it could be responsible for the spike in cases. I don't think the BHR has much of a future. It's toast in more than one way. They were talking about temperatures being over 2000 degrees and with the fire lasting as long as it did, Anyone that has ever been inside a naval ship has seen all of the cables running through the passageways and they would have been melted and with those temperatures I am sure that there will be some warping of the steel. The ship was commissioned in 1998 so she's no spring chicken. 30 years is the average service life of naval ships with a few exceptions.

Chet: See my reply to Willie. If every NY commuter were to call 5-1-1, after their train or ferry crossed into NJ, it would paralyze the system. But that's what the message board says...out of state....And Sherrel thinks he has it bad in Cali :rolleyes:. Ya can't make this stuff up!

I think the BHR will be scrapped. The one group of HD photos carried on the NY Fire Wire, showed the intensity of the fire....I understand it was in San Diego for a refit, as the BHR is normally based in Japan. As I mentioned before, with the new F35 and V22 aircraft, the entire Wasp class is obsolescent.

I reassembled the GP35, with salvaged parts, and it runs significantly better. Still needs a break - in though.

Afternoon All,

Spent several fun hours with train friends yesterday but afterwards I have 4 stops to make and was beat when I got home. Today we went over to daughter's house and put together grandsons room and put together the new dining room table that was delivered (daughter's). Of course it was missing some hardware to mount the glass top so daughter or SIL will have to figure that out.

Terry- Like others mentioned I would get a lawyer.

Garry- Glad your surgery went well. I've had it go both ways.

Karl- Wasn't Precision Scale part of BLI years ago? I might be thinking of a different company.

TomO- Nice looking skirt.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy .

Karl, Boris, Willie, Chet, Curt, and anyone I missed: .... Thanks for commenting on my post about my oral surgery and also the photo of the F-units. .... Everybody: >.. thanks for the "likes".

Greg ... Sad to hear you lost a brother-in-law.

Willie ..... I have also wondered why I pay full price for teeth cleaning when I no longer have all teeth.

Chet .... I like the picture of catenary in the twilight.

Good night, everyone.

Chet: See my reply to Willie. If every NY commuter were to call 5-1-1, after their train or ferry crossed into NJ, it would paralyze the system. But that's what the message board says...out of state....And Sherrel thinks he has it bad in Cali :rolleyes:. Ya can't make this stuff up!

I think the BHR will be scrapped. The one group of HD photos carried on the NY Fire Wire, showed the intensity of the fire....I understand it was in San Diego for a refit, as the BHR is normally based in Japan. As I mentioned before, with the new F35 and V22 aircraft, the entire Wasp class is obsolescent.

I reassembled the GP35, with salvaged parts, and it runs significantly better. Still needs a break - in though.

Joe- same with PA/DE commuters into South Jersey- between PATCO & the multitude of bridge crossings from Burlington south to Carneys Point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back