Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon all,

Wife was excused from jury duty next month. I have 8 days to use before May 1st, and February is too busy. We decided to go in April as the weather would be nicer, but I said with my luck, I'll be called for jury duty for April. So hopefully we can plan something for March...Late March.

Have a good evening all.

Afternoon all,

Wife was excused from jury duty next month. I have 8 days to use before May 1st, and February is too busy. We decided to go in April as the weather would be nicer, but I said with my luck, I'll be called for jury duty for April. So hopefully we can plan something for March...Late March.

Have a good evening all.
2c743880af06ad73881adaa7cf35705d--jury-duty-animals.jpg

Large puffy clouds with a mixture of bright sunshine! The streets are dry, the back yard is mushy.
People are out walking their dogs and it is 52 degrees out and possibly low 40's tonight.

OLD97 - My wife loves Jury Duty; she has been on several trials lasting from a few days to almost two weeks. Not me; the defence gets rid of me in a hurry when I say something like, Fry Um!

Patrick - That could have been a disaster for you. Out here I see people running lights all the time.
I simply cannot afford the tickets anymore. We have two cycle cops in town and everytime I go anywhere - one of them always has someone pulled over. Did I hear TRAP !!

Looking at what the weather was doing around here Tuesday evening, pretty heavy rain and heavy snowfall at the higher elevations. I morn the loss of those Marines and seriously think that they should have NOT been flying in those conditions!

Last edited:
Jury duty! I believe in torture as jail time costs too much! Just kidding…

Weather sucks. I left here 10 days ago and it was low 30’s with 12-16” of snow cover. The snow cover is gone but we are in the midst of a huge thunderstorm with hail. South of us 20 miles has a tornado warning. First time ever in February. I turned the local TV guy on when the thunder started booming around us!

After the 1 hour nap I went to the train room, surprise huh? Pulled 3 bar stools into the room for each end of the paper mill yard and the middle of the paper mill itself. Maybe 30 minutes in there until the boomers made me look at the TV.

Weather sucks. I left here 10 days ago and it was low 30’s with 12-16” of snow cover. The snow cover is gone but we are in the midst of a huge thunderstorm with hail. South of us 20 miles has a tornado warning. First time ever in February. I turned the local TV guy on when the thunder started booming around us!
Don't know if its the same system, but it rolled through here about an hour ago. Heavy rain, hail, and some pretty good thunder!

Someone had mentioned that Snow and GG-1 didn'tmix because snow, water, electricity don't mix. I had mentioned that the rest of the world didn't seem to have a problem (with electric driven trains and snow).
I didn't understand that neither? Comon, JOE, explain that to us?
(I'm sorry, but I am going to have to go back to BORIS for you. Saying Joe makes me ill)

Today the weather wasn't bad after yesterdays 2-3" of wet snow. (4 miles east only had rain byt we had snow a little higher on the bench). Today alternated between sun and overcast but no precipitation and mid 30s up to around 40F. Not great but better than the rain or snow predicted and even some intermittent sun.

My mom was rolling final paint yesterday in some rooms but ran out of paint. I bought more last night but we have not gotten back up there today. At 82 she was missing some spots in terms of coverage so I need to touch up some but it beats having to do it all from scratch. Probably her eye sight is not so great in the dim light.

I did not have a lot of time yesterday but besides helping my mom, I finally got the windows in the master bedroom masked and most of it primer/sealed with one coat (I'm doing two coats total of primer/sealer). The window masking was kind of hard as they are ueo style windows and the gap between the window and the side of the opening in some places was a bit narrow and hard to tape. I sprayed primer as high as I could reach stanfing on my Gorilla work platform. I need to set up my scaffold and ladder system to get the last 4 feet of wall and sloping ceiling. Also need to tape off the exposed beam. I'm headed up to do that soon today. Mostly had day job stuff and dad-taxi duties so far.

Supposedly my BIL and his SonIL are coming tomorrow and Saturday to help me paint and stuff...

Not me; the defence gets rid of me in a hurry when I say something like, Fry Um!
Ha! I have been called five times since I came to Jersey. First time, they held us two days, I was a prospective juror for a criminal trial, (molester), and got kicked off the jury, after the defendant saw me glaring at him and told his lawyer. I also was selected for two civil trials, one I was kicked off, the second, I was seated, but they settled. Second time, One day, selected for a civil trial then kicked off. Something I said about Ambulance Chasing trial Lawyers? Next two I was seated for criminal cases, First trial lasted two days, Criminal assault. Found the defendant not guilty...guy never should have been charged. Next time, it was a homicide. lasted 4 days...after a long deliberation, the guy was convicted. Could have gone either way, but video footage tipped the case against him...Learned a lot about Forensic Pathology during that trial. Last time, was over Christmas week. Had to check in daily by phone, but never had to go in. Now I have aged out...One less thing to worry about.

I morn the loss of those Marines and seriously think that they should have NOT been flying in those conditions!
Sad. I agree, they should Not have been flying in those conditions. The CH53 is huge, but rotary wing aircraft don't like bad weather. I mourn the Marines.

I didn't understand that neither? Comon, JOE, explain that to us?
Ok, From 1936 to 1958, the GGi, never had a problem with snow. One just shut the snow screens (filters) on the air intakes. In 1958, the snowfall was uniquely dry and small, and the blower motors sucked it in through the snow screens, causing the snow to accumulate in the hoods, and ultimately melt and drip water on the traction motors, causing them to short out. The snow did not affect the P5s, Modifieds, the Experimentals or the MP54E fleet of MUs, just the GG1. Of course this led to delay and panic. As soon as the motors dried off the problem went away.
Some (mostly passenger) motors were modified by replacing the intakes with new higher, larger filtered intakes, that supposedly fixed the problem...until a similar storm occurred around 1970. But that time fewer G1s were affected. Never happened again even though the GG1s remained in service until 1982.
(I'm sorry, but I am going to have to go back to BORIS for you. Saying Joe makes me ill)
Gotcha! Don't blame ya either.

Good evening. 37° and partly cloudy. Today's extremes 23° to 56°. Going to 60° tomorrow, but it will be cloudy. Maybe some yard cleanup?

Today went well. Looking at some new Caddies, might have caught the new car bug...If the price is right. Current car is a 2008 CTS. Wish I hadn't sold the F-150. Such is life.

Called the Hospital this morning, that I'm going to on Monday 12th for an Aortic heart valve replacement op to get clear on what I'm expected to take regarding my medications prior to that, no changes needed and I asked about which type I would be getting as I'd been told if it was the metal stent type I would be on Warfarin for the rest of my life. I didn't like that idea. I was assured it would not be and the lady I spoke to looked it up but said it would either be a Cow's or a Pig's one. Once checking she said it will be a Pig's one and I would Oink when I woke up, to which I replied "So long as I don't croak".
All going well, I'll be released on Wednesday.

Called the Hospital this morning, that I'm going to on Monday 12th for an Aortic heart valve replacement op to get clear on what I'm expected to take regarding my medications prior to that, no changes needed and I asked about which type I would be getting as I'd been told if it was the metal stent type I would be on Warfarin for the rest of my life. I didn't like that idea. I was assured it would not be and the lady I spoke to looked it up but said it would either be a Cow's or a Pig's one. Once checking she said it will be a Pig's one and I would Oink when I woke up, to which I replied "So long as I don't croak".
All going well, I'll be released on Wednesday.
We will be thinking of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back