Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best wishes and hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Staff at the CM&N Railroad.

Greg

##############

XmasFU2.jpg

Right back atcha Greg, and to one and all here. You make the diner the nicest place on the web to drop down and set a spell!

Believe it or not, I really hate to be a Scrooge in the middle of all these holiday wishes and congratulations, but it looks like we're on a death watch with my MIL. After a sleepless night (my normal insomnia), BIL called at 8 am to tell us MIL had been transfered to ICU with pneumonia and tachycardia. She's been intubated to force oxygen into her because her blood oxygen is around 70% (should be >95%). We managed to get down there before noon to relieve BIL, who went home to get some sleep. Meanwhile, SIL and hubby managed to miss boarding their direct flight from Des Moines. Now, we're back home but have to be back down there by 10 am. The question is whether MIL will die on Christmas day, which is also one of her grandchildren's birthday; the poor sod just got engaged, too, so the occasion will be something less than unadulterated joy.

One interesting side note is that BIL's pastor dropped by, and she and I had a very pleasant chat. It seems BIL's wife had asked the pastor how to deal with this atheist BIL she had, so the pastor and I had a good chuckle. I really enjoyed talking with her, and hope we can get together again.

Sorry to hear about this, Beady. No time is ever good, but the holidays is probably the worst. My dad died on 12/26/99 and it's still a bit of a bummer, even 20 years later. Be there for your wife and try to stay positive. Remember the good times and make it a celebration and remembrance of a life well lived.

Believe it or not, I really hate to be a Scrooge in the middle of all these holiday wishes and congratulations, but it looks like we're on a death watch with my MIL. After a sleepless night (my normal insomnia), BIL called at 8 am to tell us MIL had been transfered to ICU with pneumonia and tachycardia. She's been intubated to force oxygen into her because her blood oxygen is around 70% (should be >95%). We managed to get down there before noon to relieve BIL, who went home to get some sleep. Meanwhile, SIL and hubby managed to miss boarding their direct flight from Des Moines. Now, we're back home but have to be back down there by 10 am. The question is whether MIL will die on Christmas day, which is also one of her grandchildren's birthday; the poor sod just got engaged, too, so the occasion will be something less than unadulterated joy.

One interesting side note is that BIL's pastor dropped by, and she and I had a very pleasant chat. It seems BIL's wife had asked the pastor how to deal with this atheist BIL she had, so the pastor and I had a good chuckle. I really enjoyed talking with her, and hope we can get together again.

Sorry doesn't even touch how it feels to hear this news. There never is a good time of year, but the holidays seem to make it harder on all involved. Sending prayers, thoughts, and good vibes to all !

Good Morning All. Clear and 41°. Another picture perfect day in store here, like yesterday with a high near 70° and plenty of sunshine. Same for tomorrow and a few more days to come. Spent part of the day yesterday chopping onions, grating cheese and chopping up some leftover deep fried turkey for turkey enchiladas for the Thursday Christmas gathering for my wife's family celebration. It will be a Mexican food fest with beef barbacoa and tamales as well. Tomorrow, we'll be celebrating at both my daughter's homes, morning brunch of Taylor Ham and waffles along with gift exchange at my granddaughter's house, then over to my grandsons' house for prime rib dinner. SIL hasn't decided on whether or not he'll do a beef tenderloin as well. My side of the family has discontinued the marathon extravaganza with 45+ relatives in favor of a more simple gift exchange/lunch on Saturday. It had become too unwieldy for us aging baby-boomers and no one from the second generation has been willing to come forward. We'll continue with our annual Easter and Thanksgiving get-togethers since they don't involve the hassle of gift unwrapping; too many out of control third generation kids now.

Doughnuts for all this morning Flo, on my tab. I'll take a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits to go with it.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Justin, Phil, Sherrel, Jim, Jerome, Chet, Ken, Patrick, Bob, Chad, Tom.

Finished off and installed that Insta-Fence yesterday in the train shed.
12-24-19 002.002.JPG

That ought to keep customers from driving into the RR tracks. Maybe I'll get some figures and vehicles into this part of the scene later this week. I haven't been able to locate any suitable interior scenes for the garage bays yet, but you can see an office interior.
Meanwhile over on the workbench, I did a bit more painting on the details for the Hardware Store. After running that long container train that I referred to yesterday, I have added dull coating and weathering of containers to the project list. It will be a long running project as I have over 130 containers in four different trains scattered over the layout.

Ray - I'm reading where the whole damn country is on fire down under. I hope that you and your loved ones are safe.
Australia fires
Karl - Yes those tanks come as kits. Walther's makes them. At my LHS (a discounter), they sell for about $8 apiece. The tempered glass does not take to drill bits too well. I already have several sheets that were headed for the scrap bin at work over the years.
Jim - Plenty of cash in all of my containers. I have found that adding pennies to them makes everything ride much more smoothly. Brings the overall car closer to NMRA recommended weight. Yep! Fun is what it is all about in the train shed. While I like switching the most, I also like to highball from staging to staging on the lower level; I have continuous run capability on the upper level. Someday I will be energetic enough to add a helix, or maybe not!
I just about have all of the rail yard tracks laid.
Pictures or it ain't true!;)
Patrick - Get well quickly.
Beady - Many positive thoughts and wishes for you and your family in these trying times.

Merry Christmas to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back